Collectable tackle

darrell.cook

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Peter/Fenboy,Have had a good troll through my mags,but no adds for the D.P.pike rod,although did find one(in general) for Chapmans'angling mecca'.Have a blk/white picture(second angling times book) of D.P,gaffing a 27lb er,from Heigham Sound,using incidentally ONE of the rods won by him from Angling Times.Also an artical in the book by him.

With regard to old bits and bobs,a tackle dealer in the west midlands(Bill Leavesley),always had masses of old gear,and used to make up small cabinets(some in the local pubs,up there)of things like pike bungs,grayling floats,porcupine qulls,plugs and spinners,and assorted what have you.Obviousley not worth a great deal, but of great interest though.

Chuby

I finally retired my 30 year old 300 (with 15+ years of non-use in the middle) about a year ago, as the reel seat was too big for my new JW Avon Quiver. It was replaced with an Okuma Epix Baitfeeder, a reel with a front drag that works properly :) . However, the Okuma already looks a bit tatty, the gold paint chips off the body quite easily - presumably this is something they have improved with the new Epix Pro range, which are now proper reel colours.

I have inherited a near mint boxed right hand wind 410, which is of no use to me due to the right hand wind (plus the reel seat being too big). Any idea of the value of this?

I'm a sucker for early US multiplier reels, I have about 15. Oldest dates back to the 1890s. Most interesting thing about them is that they sometimes arrive with the original line still on the spool. Fascinating what the edwardians used for line. Very similar to braid. Seems like we've turned full circle.

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

I have a terrible confession to make, but before telling you what it is, I will tell you that I bought a RW MkIV in 1952/3 and paid over £10.00 for it, Agate rings and all close whipped.

I also remember the price of a Mitchell as about £6.12/6.

Now for the confession.............when I moved house a couple of years ago I chucked several 300's and lots of spare spools in the rubbish.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

The 410's worth about £35 too.Mitchell 300's in imaculate condition in the origonal black and red plasic box,complete with cardboard sleeve with all the bits (spare spool in tub etc)are worth the most to a collector but would still only fetch £60 tops at an auction.Ebay prices tend to be very strange.

Gerry I also collect early US multipliers/baitcasters.I started on these only recently after completing my collection of pre 1980 ABU/Record multipliers.Once again the prices on Ebay vary enourmously compared with auction houses.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Dear Den,

You said;

"Now for the confession.............when I moved house a couple of years ago I chucked several 300's and lots of spare spools in the rubbish."

Good lad cos the clutches on these reels ARE rubbish. Hope a good bunch of those cane rods went in the same direction cos they are even rubbish'er'rer.

See this bit of string sticking out below the barn door? Pull it and see what runs out.

Fenboy is the AN resident expert on old copies of the AT. You really do need to come fishing with me pal.

Regards,

Lee.

he best bit of business i ever did fishing wise happened about three years ago when i was in a local tackle shop and saw on the counter an original allcocks aeriel match pin. iasked the dealer if it was for sale and he said yes and when asked on the price, he said "make me an offer", as the ratchet rivet was missing and therefore the ratchet wasnt working i thought i would be cheeky and offer £25. he bit my hand off and i legged it out of the shop. i use that reel regularly and it runs like a dream and i was chuffed to bowlocks with it.

as for the mitchells i have just bought a job lot of gear and there is a mitchell match and a "300" in there in vgc, but they are actually 440 and 400 respectively. would i be right in saying they are just slightly newer versions that tok over from the 300 series?

and i am open to ofers on them (theres an 810 too)

Mark Barrett

buy the PAC30 book at www.pacshop.co.uk