VW Polo idling fault??

Bretty

Hi all,

I haven't posted on here for a while but have been lurking. Hopefully you guys are still an amazing well of knowlege.

Anyway I bought the missus an H-reg 1litre polo a year ago. Recently it has started stalling even when warm and idles fairly irratically. This problem seems to be getting worst?! Any ideas what the problem could be? A friend tells me it is a common fault with the carburettor. What do you reckon?

I just wanted a few opinions before I get stung by the local VW garage.

Thanks in advance,

[ 25. February 2005, 10:10 PM: Message edited by: Bretty ]

Sounds like the carburettor to me. Had a similar problem on an old Astra estate I used to have and that was the carburettor, local garage fixed it for me and all was good.

At least until some loony lost control round a corner where my car was parked and smashed straight into the back of it

Ian

"If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving isn't for you"

mine stalls for 10 mins after starting this weather ,come to a set of traffic lights and the chokes needed ,mine is older than yours so i forgive it

unfortunatly theres many things that effect idling ,bad suction on advance/retard bellows ,moisture/corrosion/build up of grot in rotor cap etc etc :(

i would do a mini service, new leads plugs and air filter petrol filter, rotor arm (if you have one in new cars) inspect cap for damage etc.

get engine ticking over then pull off thin pipe that goes to bellows on the side of distributer if the engine note changes or the engine dies you havent a prob with that or the pipe is leaking ,i find the fabric pipe that holds the thin pipe on perishes easily and i replace it every couple of years.

i found a small hole in my last cars inlet manifold gasket effected its idling ,i found it by accident when spraying with wd40 as the jet hit hit on part of the gasket the engine note changed on replacing it i found a very small split enough to let air in and weaken the fuel mix

[ 25. February 2005, 11:08 PM: Message edited by: chesters1 ]

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

If the car starts and runs well when cold, but stalls or is difficult to start when warm, then try changing the condensor in the distributor cap. A retired AA man gave me this tip stating in the circumstances described 99 times out of a hundred thats the fix for this problem.

SteveH

quote:

then try changing the condensor in the distributor cap.

carefull if its electronic ignition there wont be one :)

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson