AT helping the EA to knock the last few nails in?

lutra

Hi guys

I must confess to being a bit of a 'lurker' when it comes to anglers net. I follow some of the threads religiously and have checked the site nearly every day since joining.

Being only 22 and an accountant by trade, i'm not the best debater and so I like to follow threads like this one in order to build an opinion of these more serious and political situations.

I wonder if there are alot of similar members like me who are happy to cast a 'yes' or 'no' vote, but feel that they can't really add much in the way of a detailed view, and so take the views of the dozen or so "elders" from which to make their decision.

Unfortunately this could be the case with the AT vote. Im sure they have had issues covering the threat of eastern european poachers, possibly exaggerating the individual situations like a tabloid newspaper would, and in effect winding up the general AT reader to the point where a biased vote is inevitable.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its unlikely that a new visitor is going to wade through 6 pages of posts on the original subject to find our present comments and post accordingly.

When a post changes direction it should be possible to re badge it with a fresh start and title maybe with a link at the end of the old topic so it can be followed.

Yes very good points John.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Unfortunately this could be the case with the AT vote. Im sure they have had issues covering the threat of eastern european poachers, possibly exaggerating the individual situations like a tabloid newspaper would, and in effect winding up the general AT reader to the point where a biased vote is inevitable.

Most definately is the case mate.One of the main reason that I feel the press should be a bit more responsible with what they print.Surely they realise the amount of influence they have?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Yes...there are 'elders'.............then there are 'the ancient ones' :D and then theres Messrs Roskilly,Parks and Darkin! :P

Who is "Parks" ?

I sometimes get bills addressed to "Parks" - I always send them back marked "not known here"

One of my primary school teachers was fond of shrieking "Parks" at intervals - I always used to turn round to see who he was, even though I sat at the back of the class.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

i've watched this post develop without reply for fear of a full scale rant so i'll take a deep breath and count to 10...

it sure has diverted from its original purpose, there is definately a case to be made for re-starting topics when they go off at a tangent.

sometimes the forum can seem a bit 'cliquey' (is that even a word? :D ) but i feel its because some less experienced a.n. users trust the views of the 'elders', not because of who they are or their 'standing' on the forum, but because more often than not they have honest, educated opinions and can usually speak for most of us anyway. is a new poster expected to recycle worms' or budgie's (for example) sentiments when its already been said, just to fit in, or get some kudos, ('cred'' for under 30's :D:P:D )?

i'm a long standing a.n member, but a sporadic poster, thats my choice, i dont just post for the sake of it. the elders can speak for the vast majority of us on issues like this, and usually put it more succinctly, or effectively, so i let them get on with it. i suppose i mean- dont mistake a lack of sycophantic replies for a lack of support!

anyway, back to the issue in hand, as a scottish pike angler i'm already constrained by the livebaiting ban ;) , this in a country which is literally world famous for its game fishing. :wallbash::clap: while being sympathetic, the ea and rod liscences dont concern me, nor do the game fish in my(our :D ) rivers and lochs. but anglers must, and usually do for the most part, show solidarity. obviously commercial fisheries and weekly angling comics etc.. have created a whole new breed of turkeys who vote for christmas. like the papers, e.g. the daily stun, who criticise the (any and all) government's mistakes, but sell their rags on the strength of the headlines! no scandal, no sales, bloody hypocrites! the angling weeklies have become the same, creating issues to suit their own short term agenda, no foresight regarding angling as a whole and therefore their own long term prosperity. they'd rather sell 10000 copies in a week than 3000 copies every week.( sales figures for analogy purposes only)

god, i promised not to rant.. my point is- any legislation which constrains my fellow angler consequently effects me whether indirectly or not and should be contested. anyone know what r.h. martin salter m.p, our voice in the government, makes of this? is the e.a yet another quango who says and does the right thing at the right time to secure more public funding?not having to deal with them i genuinely dont know if they're weekend water warriors or a waste of oxygen.

i'm going to lie down now, can i be 'an elder'? :D:D

Gav

King Piker

No, I haven't read through all fourteen pages so this might have been covered.

By and large, I suspect, AT attracts people more interested in how to catch a fish and what tackle to buy rather than died in the wool anglers. I also suspect that the EA is well aware of this. Those 'free' gifts, with postage to cover the cost of the item, indicates the publisher's view on the perceived I.Q. of their readership, says it all really!

AT is playing a dangerous game, and eventually it may well alienate them from the wider angling community.

Edited by Peter Waller

No, I haven't read through all fourteen pages so this might have been covered.

By and large, I suspect, AT attracts people more interested in how to catch a fish and what tackle to buy rather than died in the wool anglers. I also suspect that the EA is well aware of this. Those 'free' gifts, with postage to cover the cost of the item, indicates the publisher's view on the perceived I.Q. of their readership, says it all really!

AT is playing a dangerous game, and eventually it may well alienate them from the wider angling community.

I think you are right in what you are saying Peter, but maybe the AT doesn't think its that dangerous as it may well already be dead if it catered more for died in wool the anglers who don't spend that much money........

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

I doubt it, from what I've seen, the only people allowed Human rights these days are criminals

I don't think I'm alone in feeling (as perhaps a more traditional coarse angler) like a criminal/prisoner in the world of commercial coarse fishing, so can i have my rights please? :)

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep