invisible weights

Andy_1984

I think its a load of b£$%^%$s I remember a long time ago reading an article in a carp mag. It might well have been crapworld. oF someone using chandelier dangly thingys as wieghts. As for the electric feild thing, When i think about most carp waters most are strewn with lost rigs. Thats a lot of electricity on the lake bed i think.

Bind my wounds, And bring me a fresh horse.

Glass weights were used by a guy who was one of the first to catch the Savay carp. He reasoned that there would be no electric charge passing from the lead to the swivel. Apparently two different metals behave like a battery in water !!!

If all that were true, then the effect would be even greater in sea-water (better electrolyte and all that)

In my "yoof", standard seagear included bronzed hooks, copper alloy split rings , leads and brass paternosters. That's four metals generating six combinations of batteries :o Always caught plenty of fish then..............

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

There's a couple of good pegs on my local river that I've heard it said are good because of the power lines that cross the river over them and the electromagnetic field from them attracts fish.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

I'm thinking of marketing leads in the shape of little crayfish :rolleyes:

Although I suppose on some lakes it might be better to mimic the natural items on the lake bed, like crushed beer cans or fag packets ;)

Wasn't it John Roberts who recently filmed barbel feeding confidently alongside a rig which used a little blue plastic toy as a weight?

It seems to be the familiar story of people concentrating on completely the wrong thing, i.e. rigs rather than location and feeding.

As for the Wingham bream, maybe we should develop a rig that zaps any bream within a 100-yard radius and then just scoop them up :D

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

There's a couple of good pegs on my local river that I've heard it said are good because of the power lines that cross the river over them and the electromagnetic field from them attracts fish.

In the days when I was active in fishery management on behalf of my clubs and federation, I was involved in a fair bit of electrofishing, and saw first hand the effect of electromagnetic fields on fish.

Very complicated subject, depending on whether you are talking about AC, or DC pulsed or DC steady current, field strength, distance ansd orientation of fish relative to electrodes, etc etc. The power companies will probably try to tell you the field is too weak to affect fish, but they would say that, wouldn't they? :rolleyes:

Electromagnetic fields can repel fish as well as attract them. Electrical "barriers" to fish certainly work.

There might be other explanations - anglers fishing near power lines get electrocuted, fall in the river and pass into the crayfish-chub food chain - and may provide ground bait more directly, as didn't James Cheetham use an attractant that included "man's fat and cat's fat, of each half an ounce"?

After all, isn't there a "Dead Man's Hole" on your river, and didn't you find a dead body in your swim once?

A good case for using a poor conductor like split-bamboo instead of carbon when fishing under power lines :D:D

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

After all, isn't there a "Dead Man's Hole" on your river, and didn't you find a dead body in your swim once?

"The dead body peg" its got named and it was the chap fishing 30yards up from me, not my peg.

It did fish well that day, I remember having my own police audience watching me land lots of barbel. So maybe having a dead body in the water just up stream did help. But on the down side I must say it did get a bit spooky that night when they'd all gone home and i was left in a dark wood thinking about dead bodies.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

it has been proven i think that fish cannot actually see them.

I'd like to see how they proved it, or even if a fish can recognise a leger weight whatever it's made of!

I used to fish with a guy who would never use a loop to loop connection, because he was convinced that the water in the loop acted like a mirror, and the fish would be scared on seeing its own reflection. :blink:

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John