Cod, off the menu

barry luxton

There’s certainly more small codlings in the fishery today in this part of the world than there has been as far back as the late 50,s or at least that’s as far back as I have researched yet through SFC fishing reports archives.

Well I really am shocked at this statement :o There has been a real scarcity of small codlings for the last couple of years and this year they have been even fewer.

Almost all the codlings we have caught(inshore boat angling) this year have been in the 5-10lb class and last winter the shore fishing reflected this with a thin picking of large fish.

Are you winding us up John? or do you know were all these mops are hiding?

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whats so crazy cefarse do all these surveys but why when they allow tons of small codling which in this day and age should not happen and should have never been allowed to happen over all these years to be slaughtered during the herring spawn time its nothing short of criminal.

paul.

Edited by big_cod

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

This thread has the makings of a good Monty Python sketch. It wasn't so long ago that the likes of Roskilly & Co were complaining that there weren't any big fish in the sea, they were all small. Now, I see they are complaining that there aren't aren't any small fish in the sea, they are all large.

Last year Mr Roskilly was pointing out that anglers really shouldn't be getting excited about catches that aren't a patch on what they used to be. Now, he's pointing out that anglers really shouldn't be getting excited about catches that are!

And as for Adrian's 'idiot' comment, I wouldn't worry too much about that. It's plain to see, just from reading the posts, exactly who the idiots are.

It's a good job these people aren't talking to misguided politicians who, in turn, then tell Ministers what makes sea anglers tick.................DOH!

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

Guest challenge

Paul.

Remember Paul I was trawling back in the 80,s and in 87, 88, and 89 (the years you refer too) I was employed on one of the most successful trawlers at the time out of Whitby. So I do know a bit about the fishery at that time. There certainly were not the small codlings around at this time of year that there is today caught in the trawl. Now I cannot speak for the shore angler of that time because I had very little contact with anglers at that time.

Paul you’re the one who keeps talking about great catches of cod off Whitby not me, you’re the one who says that cod fishing is nearly as good as it was years ago when righting your reports, not me.

I can only go by what you say and by reports of anglers when I talk to them through my position as a fisheries officer.

We have no records of what anglers do or catch in our district we can only go by word of mouth and yours is one of those word of mouths that we have to go bye.

Talking of going back to the 50,s I can only report what was written at the time and there was no mention of large amounts of small codlings being caught in the district.

About the herring fishery Paul, what are you saying? first of all you mention that there are hauls up to 1000 boxes being caught and then you say there are not the small codlings today that there was back in the 80,s. I can assure you that there where no 1000 box hauls of codlings caught in the herring fisheries of the 80,s be it caught by pair trawlers or single boats. So what does this tell you? It could tell you that there are more small codlings in the fishery today than there was then or it could tell you that the one set of pair trawlers are 10 times more capable of catching the fish today than they where back in the 80,s the latter I think is very debatable. Considering that there was more boats pair trawling in our district then than there is today.

Still waiting for your opinions on the decline of ling on the inshore wrecks today compared as to the amount of ling that where caught by anglers back in the 80,s

Clem.

No I am not trying to wind you up. I was referring to commercial fishing reports and not recreational angling reports.

regards

Edited by challenge

Guest challenge
I hope you are right John I really do but I know loads of anglers and a few commercials and they all say the same thing.H.

Hi Clem,

It’s very difficult for any organisation to be able to put any sort of figure on recreational anglers catching figures. Yes they could go by match results and any other voluntary catch statistics. I certainly believe anglers when they come on angling forums and state that the fishing is poor. For what other reason would they want to say anything different.

But with the same voluntary information you have to take angling boat skippers reports serious and therefore reports that are posted on forums from angling boats stating that fishing is thriving have to be taken in the same concept.

It’s easy to get figures of what commercial fishermen catch because they are accountable to the powers that be, but this cannot be said of recreational fishermen. Be this a good thing or a bad thing is widely debated on this and many other forums.

regards John.

There’s certainly more small codlings in the fishery today in this part of the world than there has been as far back as the late 50,s or at least that’s as far back as I have researched yet through SFC fishing reports archives.

I would agree that for the last three years or so there has been good codling fishing throughout the channel. Two, three, possibly four year classes. It now appears that the science is stating that not enough of them are remaining to carry on with the good work. If that is the case it would be a shame. Just wondering how the likes of the nffo and the scottish commercial are going to play the round of trading this year, it will be interesting. Won't make any difference though as the under tens will not get a look in.

Quote:

Still waiting for your opinions on the decline of ling on the inshore wrecks today compared as to the amount of ling that where caught by anglers back in the 80,s

end quote.

Tell me what the ling fishing was like in the 80's please Challenge. What were the size ranges, what tactics where used to catch them. Could it be that the ling are not targeted today, i have found it better to anchor on a wreck to have a good crack at them.

Edited by barry luxton

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

I can cast (still) and I win boat matches ..

and I'm 61.

I dig 100 good lug per hour.

I have an array of fishes to my credit.

13marchplaiceportrait.jpg

I'll do anything to improve prospects for UK shore an boat anglers.

I'll work my last 10 or 20 years (hopeful) to set the commercials (as they exist now) underground and illegal.

I loved potting for brown crab and lobster from Bognor with Mr Warring and I 'grouper-trapped' with Mr Dawson outa St Davids, (Bermuda) ..

that's called some stuff called 'sustainable'.

Be there ... or don't comment.

I could not fish with 'Trawlermen' or 'Deadliest Catch'.

I'd gladly give them a good 'scuttle'.

:angry:

Paul.

Remember Paul I was trawling back in the 80,s and in 87, 88, and 89 (the years you refer too) I was employed on one of the most successful trawlers at the time out of Whitby. So I do know a bit about the fishery at that time. There certainly were not the small codlings around at this time of year that there is today caught in the trawl. Now I cannot speak for the shore angler of that time because I had very little contact with anglers at that time.

Paul you’re the one who keeps talking about great catches of cod off Whitby not me, you’re the one who says that cod fishing is nearly as good as it was years ago when righting your reports, not me.

I can only go by what you say and by reports of anglers when I talk to them through my position as a fisheries officer.

We have no records of what anglers do or catch in our district we can only go by word of mouth and yours is one of those word of mouths that we have to go bye.

Talking of going back to the 50,s I can only report what was written at the time and there was no mention of large amounts of small codlings being caught in the district.

About the herring fishery Paul, what are you saying? first of all you mention that there are hauls up to 1000 boxes being caught and then you say there are not the small codlings today that there was back in the 80,s. I can assure you that there where no 1000 box hauls of codlings caught in the herring fisheries of the 80,s be it caught by pair trawlers or single boats. So what does this tell you? It could tell you that there are more small codlings in the fishery today than there was then or it could tell you that the one set of pair trawlers are 10 times more capable of catching the fish today than they where back in the 80,s the latter I think is very debatable. Considering that there was more boats pair trawling in our district then than there is today.

Clem.

No I am not trying to wind you up. I was referring to commercial fishing reports and not recreational angling reports.

regards

How daft can you get one of the crew on one of the local pair team who himself posted on his facebook that they had lost a 1000 box haul how the hell this slaughter of juvenile fish is still allowed to happen beggers beliefe a box to the north of whitby was closed last month dureing the herring spawn period because of what happened last year as i understand it one of the local skippers has requested to the ministry to close down the area where recently the mass slaughter of juvenile fish has been takeing place he knows the killing of so small and undersized codling cannot now be tollorated these fish grow fast and it would be his winter fishing that man is conservation minded we know everybody has to make a living but its madness this practice must stop.

paul.

I OK.

Firstly by your response to my earlyer post you were more or less admitting that there was a 1000 box haul lost whether it be 50% juvenile cod or 75% juvenile cod you this slaughter still goes on today as to the 80ss it was alive with small codling the discard rate in them days was unbelivable which you will never admit as you were part of it the past is done thats why the fisherie is where it is now very very sad indeedlets hope it drops out of sky and it a bumper winter for everybody.

As for ling gillnetting was a very big thing in the 80ss with most wrecks being constantly netted there was often very large catches of big ling at that but if your wondering about the decline of other species you forgot mention haddock once in massive numbers off this coast,lemon sole ,plaice ,whitings dover sole you could just keep going .

This is really getting boreing now .

paul.

Edited by big_cod

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg