And about time too!

Jim Roper

Try telling Cheltenham Borough Council that cycling on the pavements is illegal! They have divided all the pavements into two "lanes" by painting a white line down the middle, and know say that the "lane" nearest the road is now OFFICIALLY the cycle lane.

Funny thing is, a lot of cyclists refuse to use them.

There have been a number of injuries in the centre of town which has been "pedestrianised". Young teenage scrotes have run into elderly folk, knocking them down, the getting back on their bikes and legging it! If you try and stop them YOU are done for "assaulting" the prat!!

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the council have designated the pavement a dual use path then it is legal (but not mandatory) to cycle on it.

Segregated:

segregatedbikepedroute.gif

Shared:

sharedbikepedroute.gif

Not uncommon for councils to do that, and not at odds with it being illegal to cycle on the pavement unless otherwise signposted.

Young teenage scrotes have run into elderly folk, knocking them down, the getting back on their bikes and legging it! If you try and stop them YOU are done for "assaulting" the prat!!

That's not on. Similar to this case where a toddler was knocked down and severely injured, and the perpetrator tried to leave the scene.

Edited by Steve Walker

I have contacted the Council with something they had not thought of (or would not think of)!

I am a 24/7 carer for a blind person. Not all blind people have guide dogs. If a blind person goes for a walk, they use a long cane which is about 5ft long with a ball on the end. They use it by swinging the cane from side to side and they cannot see a dividing line in the pavement. If a cyclist comes down that path and the long cane goes through the spokes, there will be tears - WHO WILL BE TO BLAME?

Edited by kleinboet

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

I have contacted the Council with something they had not thought of (or would not think of)!

I am a 24/7 carer for a blind person. Not all blind people have guide dogs. If a blind person goes for a walk, they use a long cane which is about 5ft long with a ball on the end. They use it by swinging the cane from side to side and they cannot see a dividing line in the pavement. If a cyclist comes down that path and the long cane goes through the spokes, there will be tears - WHO WILL BE TO BLAME?

The cyclist. Just as a sighted pedestrian barging into a clearly blind person - with white cane - would be to blame.

That doesn't mean that ped/bike shared pavements are necessarily a bad thing, though. Just that cyclists on the pavement need to have a functioning brain.

Bleeding heart liberal pinko, with bacon on top.

Just that cyclists on the pavement need to have a functioning brain.

It's usefull for people posting on here too, though Kleinbore tries to disprove that notion at every opportunity :)

(Evening Glenn!)

Guest Brumagem Phil
The cyclist. Just as a sighted pedestrian barging into a clearly blind person - with white cane - would be to blame.

That doesn't mean that ped/bike shared pavements are necessarily a bad thing, though. Just that cyclists on the pavement need to have a functioning brain.

Well the second part of your post pretty much sums up why we are legislated to death these days.....doesn't matter if its bikes, car drivers, or anything else for that matter, its the brainless that mess it up and leave the rest of us legislated against while they just ignore anything and anyone that gets in their way.

Is this a good time to admit that I hit a pedestrian for the first time ever two weeks ago?

I was on a canal tow path (a cycleway) and he litterally leaped out in front of me with a beer can in his hand and a very suprised look on his face.

He appeared less than two meters in from of me and there was no way I could avoid an impact but I did hit the breaks and swerve enough to avoid hitting him with the metalwork. I hit him with my shoulder and transfered almost all of my momentun into him, causing him to travel about 5m before he stopped.

On impact, his head whipped forward and caught me in the face but I was already pulling my head away to avoid a crunching clash of heads and the the impact was fairly minor.

I think both of us realised just how lucky we were not to have been seriously hurt. I got my smack in the face and he had the air well and truely knocked out of him but we ended up shaking hands and having a laugh about it.

What was most suprising is that it happend on the canal. I honestly thought that if I was ever to hit a pedestrian it would be on Colemore Row in Birmingham. I ride down Colemore Row every weekday morning on my way to work and despite the fact that I'm dressed like Chernobyl wasp and the bike it lit up like a chrismas three even in daylight, the number of complete muppets who walk out into the road in a daze without looking is astonishing.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

bloody carp anglers getting in the way :rolleyes:

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Kleinbore, no I have no problem with your insane ramblings, they have little impact on my life :)

Playing Ghostbusters made me a load of money and got me on telly for three years, I consider that a result, not something to be ashamed of :)