And about time too!

Jim Roper

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Brumagem Phil

I cycle a lot these days (well i try to anyway in a vain attempt to save my health) and I often cycle places I shouldn't.

Did you know almost all of the Norfolk coastal route is banned for cyclists (I use it but of an evening when people are generally not so abundant and I always give way, cycle slowly past people and am ultra courteous)......the alternative is the norfolk cycle route which is so far inland that you can't even see the sea for most of its length and is almost entirely public roads where i'm at the mercy of d*ckheads driving at or above the national speed limits on roads little more than 6 feet wide!!!

I had some fellah in a discovery the other day while I was in my car, come around a blind corner at easily 60mph and couldnt stop so ended up down a ditch (he was lucky not to put his car and occupants through the hedge and into the field)....I just left him stuck and drove on, but imagine if I'd been on my bike? I've had dozens of city idiots with holiday homes in the area virtually run me off the road.

Yes some cyclists are irresponsible, but by far the majority just want to be left alone and either abide by the law, or break it so they can feel safe! By the way I use the canal tow paths a lot too, but never ride there by road, I always use the pavement (but again I ride slowly along the pavements and always give way to pedestrians)........but did you know most towpaths have big pictures of bikes with a red line through them???

Ask yourself this, with an 8 year old girl in tow, would you cycle along your local country lanes with all the chelsea tractor nutters or cycle along a path that perhaps you shouldnt?

Edited by Brumagem Phil

I suppose the difference is the considerate cyclists such as yourself and the seemingly ever increasing number of inconsiderate ones that cycle at speed along pavements, leap into the road if an obstruction (mother and pushchair) arises and than shoot across pedestrian crossings expecting all road users to slam on the anchors.

They recently had a crackdown on cyclists in my town and they copped a load for silly and potentially dangerous cycling. One bloke had a paddy because he was done for cycling the wrong way up a one way street with his 3 yr old in the trailer!!!!

I do sympathise however, I used to cycle a lot but I wouldn't do it now, not with the amount of traffic on the roads.

Edited by Worms

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

didnt the government (blair) crow about fining cyclists on pavements about the time they were going to "march them to a cashpoint" ? you can bring in millions of laws but only if you have a fear of getting caught will they work ,since cyclists seem to be above the law in most things they have no fear of anything lest of all the police!

just more labour spin

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I think the following about sums this and most other 'new laws' up.

The Department for Transport said it could devise new rules but had to be satisfied police could enforce them.

And in this case there's already plenty of legal power to punish offendors, it's just never applied.

Rob.

Problem is there are ignorant "GIT's" on bikes as well as IN cars!!

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

You guys don't know what you are missing!!

Come to Cambridge where cyclists CAN cycle the wrong way along one way streets, cycle on the pavement, cycle in pedestrian zones etc.

They are NOT ALLOWED to ignore traffic lights, but a recent survey reckons 50% do or cycle without proper lighting at night, a survey last year reckons 50% do.

The police say they are going to target cyclists who ignore both of these laws, hopefully they will confiscate their cycles and crush them :D :D :D

The police say they are going to target cyclists who ignore both of these laws, hopefully they will confiscate their cycles and crush them :D :D :D

Crush what Colin?

The cycles, the cyclists, or both???? :o

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

You guys don't know what you are missing!!

Come to Cambridge where cyclists CAN cycle the wrong way along one way streets, cycle on the pavement, cycle in pedestrian zones etc.

They are NOT ALLOWED to ignore traffic lights, but a recent survey reckons 50% do or cycle without proper lighting at night, a survey last year reckons 50% do.

Actually Cambridge is one of the very few places that I recall seeing police stopping cyclists for riding with no lights. In my neck of the woods I'd guess that probably no more than a quarter of cyclists out at night actually have lights. Worse than that police just drive straight past them. But it's not one of the targetted crimes and so stopping cyclists does nothing to the metrics of 'crime reduction statistics'.

Rob.

Worse than that police just drive straight past them.

I think I've said before that I've seen a police traffic car stop at a zebra crossing to allow someone to cycle from one pavement to the other. They aren't interested.