The Politics Of Envy

Elton

I really don't get this at all:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8379237.stm

As a tax payer, or as a customer of a bank, what on earth have I got to gain by knowing what somebody earns?

The only people it may benefit, I suppose, are the criminals, who then know whose family to kidnap.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its nonsense really the government already know (or should do) its on the tax returns .The problem is i bet the really fat cats pay very little tax ,wealth means tax is not so obligatory than it is in the poor ;)

i doubt very large earners or indeed companies pay tax to the UK?

whats probably happening is the gov is merely checking out the more lucrative companies for future directorships they may get for no other reason than they are MP's ;)

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

The banks provide a service (ok sometimes not a very good one) which we all need, and as a service we have to pay for it, YOU DONT GET YOU CAR SERVICED FOR FREE.

We dont question how much people in other proffesions earn so why should we be worrying about what bank staff earn.

just one more cast then I'am off home

The banks provide a service (ok sometimes not a very good one) which we all need, and as a service we have to pay for it, YOU DONT GET YOU CAR SERVICED FOR FREE.

We dont question how much people in other proffesions earn so why should we be worrying about what bank staff earn.

the banks ensured long ago we need them ,in reality we dont but its convenient for employers and business .

some people do get free car servicing ,probably built into rich bankers perks and ofcourse the poor do it because they cant afford to pay for it ;)

remember those nice shiny notes you get stuff with isnt money its an IOU the banks don't have any money its all a sham ,any where else and it would be called a fiddle or pyramid scheme

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

This is the brainchild of Lord myners, whose credibility was enhanced beyind recognition with his interferring and denials of having done so regarding the pension and severance arrangements of Fred Goodwin and RBS.

There's no justifiable reason fo the salary of a person within a Limited Liability company to have his salary made public other than to the share holders.

Elton, your title for this thread is so accurate, it is indeed the politics of envy.

I note that only 16 months after the bailout of HBOS and RBS was it deemed appropriate to announce the level of the Bank of England's bail out of these two otherwise failed banks. What worried me was that there has been an interim audit period lapsed and the figures were kept off the balance sheet. Is that legal?

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

The Politics Of Envy?

Hardly; as I understand it no-one is to be named; the requirement is to say how many of the staff receive salaries in excess of £1 Million most of the Banks in fact already provide this information already in their annual statement so it is not something that earth shattering. Another point worth noting is that we as tax payers are already the major shareholders in a number of High street banks; surely we are entitled to this information.

Tony

Edited by Tony U

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

They are'nt looking for names of those earning over £1m but what the govt. are looking for is the banks that have been bailed out by the public purse to get their own house in order and stop paying out bonus' to people who already get paid for doing their job irrespective of whether they do it well or not and in the latter case thats why the taxpayer had to bail them out

To repeat myself.... the names of the highest earners are shown voluntarily in a LLC's report and accounts rather than a total salary bill.

Thus to declare the earnings of those of £1m and more is definitely the politics of envy and a desperate attempt to be seen to be doing something. Pity it isn't actually doing something worthwhile.

Alan

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

I think it's quite right that we are told how much these parasites are bleeding off us. It's not like they are any good at their jobs or the financial meltdown wouldn't have happened, would it?

If someone is paid over a £million a year I expect him to be 100% competent, not just as fallible as us mere mortals!

Unfortunately, banking seems to be populated by idiots, but idiots who went to the right school/university, know which fork to eat fish with and seriously believe that they are giving 110%, being too dim to realize what that implies.