European rules threaten to "smother sea angling"

Anglers' Net

That's where the consultations are useful isn't it.

The scare stories concerning the closing of beaches and banning of angling etc. are in my opinion just that. Crap spread by the fanatical angling press to sell copy. If you look at the proposals there is very little (if anything) to suggest such action is to be taken. As I mentioned earlier in another thread, 621 SACs since 1992 and 257 SPAs since 1979. Where are the angling restrictions?

Sick and fed up with the amount of consultations for this and that and blady blah. Two or three a week are released to keep all of them public service guys in wages and worse, blue chip pensions and don't forget the exes.

Don't agree that they are just scare stories when you have the like of the mcs who with the help of prince charlie and the co-op, good mixture that, have come up with lots of jewels that they want protected even from the angler. Nothing to do with selling copy.

Your turn Worms. :)

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sick and fed up with the amount of consultations for this and that and blady blah. Two or three a week are released to keep all of them public service guys in wages and worse, blue chip pensions and don't forget the exes.

Don't agree that they are just scare stories when you have the like of the mcs who with the help of prince charlie and the co-op, good mixture that, have come up with lots of jewels that they want protected even from the angler. Nothing to do with selling copy.

Just proposals Barry, nothing more, anglers can do the same by knocking their proposals down (as long as there are good enough reasons). Socio-economic reasons will be very high on the agenda for areas where RSAs fund a lot of jobs. Just claiming that an anchor from a charter boat will damage a reef beyond repair won't be seen as a matter of over-riding importance!

Must go, puddings on the table :rolleyes:

Ah, that was tasty...........where was I? Oh yes..better some consultations than none though. After all they're not compulsory if you don't want to say anything!

Back to the AT, at least they have said they will help support sea anglers if any restrictive legislation is proposed. On the coarse catch and release debacle they stayed on the fence until it had been decided.

Edited by Worms

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

In reply to Glennk's previous post:

That's where the consultations are useful isn't it. In days gone by SSSIs etc were designated without consulting 'stakeholders' and based on restricting damage to sites that were frequently damaged or isolated to the point of no return.

If some sea areas are damaged or, are likely to suffer damage through a specific action, say dredging, then slapping a protected area designation on it can legally prevent further damage......whilst retaining existing recreational 'rights'.

All of the consultations that I have seen recently have been either by internet or postal forms. A vast improvement over the planning style 'go to a meeting or have an airport built in your back garden' scenarios.

Additionally, a national organisation of anglers would carry a lot more weight. (whether the AT are the right team for the job is uncertain however).

The scare stories concerning the closing of beaches and banning of angling etc. are in my opinion just that. Crap spread by the fanatical angling press to sell copy. If you look at the proposals there is very little (if anything) to suggest such action is to be taken. As I mentioned earlier in another thread, 621 SACs since 1992 and 257 SPAs since 1979. Where are the angling restrictions?

One scare story however and one to watch if getting backing from the media or other organisations.

Just recently the EA proposed a catch and release of all coarse fish and grayling. There was a huge amount of interest by the Angling Times who persuaded all of their readers that catch and release would instantly stop all Eastern Europeans from eating any carp that the otters had left for them. The result? 95% of 'anglers' who seem to have little clue about fishing wild waters voted for compulsory catch and release. Some concessions to grayling munching and pike livebaits are to be made but generally you're going to suffer if you like the odd perch for tea. Guess who sat on the fence and waffled? Guess who backed the 95% when it had been accepted? Yep, the Angling Trust. It's not often that I agree with Steve C but they didn't stand up for all anglers' rights on that occasion!

Hi Worms,

I dont want to get drawn into long posts and rants. I just have 2 points.

1. Forget a national angling body. Theres too many view points in the angling fraternity from region to region for it to happen in the short term. At the present time, everytime the Angling Trust opens its mouth they alienate another group of anglers.

2. Consultations will never fulfil their purpose because they are complicated and make no sense to the average layperson/angler. The elaborate language and in house codes of DEFRA will not engage the average man because he hasn't a clue what the bloody hell they are talking about.

Fair comment but its in our interest to fear the unknown because if we relax then we might get some extremests taking over the show and next thing you know we arent allowed to do anything.

Quote:

Sea anglers are offering to become “standing patrols” in future marine protected zones where other fishing may be banned if they are allowed to fish in them. They could instantly report any illegal commercial activities so reducing the cost of policing the areas.

Someone having a laugh here. I wouldn't like to become a spy on behalf of the men in suits who make it their life's quest to issue more and more rules, regulations, blady bla, for all to follow or else, without any thought as to how they are going to police the said same rules and regulations they thrive on. Dream on.

Can the ones who have offered stand up please? Not on my behalf, can you make a point of that as well.

Couldnt agree more. Have you had a bang on the head ?

Twice in one night youve said something sensible. Whats going on ? Youve had the Eureeka moment havent you ?

Hi Worms,

I dont want to get drawn into long posts and rants. I just have 2 points.

1. Forget a national angling body. Theres too many view points in the angling fraternity from region to region for it to happen in the short term. At the present time, everytime the Angling Trust opens its mouth they alienate another group of anglers.

2. Consultations will never fulfil their purpose because they are complicated and make no sense to the average layperson/angler. The elaborate language and in house codes of DEFRA will not engage the average man because he hasn't a clue what the bloody hell they are talking about.

Fair comment but its in our interest to fear the unknown because if we relax then we might get some extremests taking over the show and next thing you know we arent allowed to do anything.

And you have a fair point as well. The consultation process doesn't necessarily allow you to voice opinions except to answer the set questions. The only problem is that if other bodies get together and present their case and it's not in the RSA's interest then the RSA could lose out. That is where a 'unified' angling body would be useful, to interpret the questions and, make reasoned statements on behalf of anglers. If necessary they could prepare and issue a simplified version of the official consultation document to anglers to get the general feeling.

The fact is it's here to stay and, if significant numbers of anglers don't contribute, whether represented by a body or not anglers could lose out just by not getting their point across.

Put AT on the line perhaps? I note they are going to try and recruit charter skippers. IF they get them on board that's both RSA and socio-economic!

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

LOLOL it comes to everybody in the end. no offence intended barry :lol::thumbs:

One by one they have all had the moment, theres still a few more to drop yet. I got it early but my stance waSNT ALWAYS WHAT IT IS NOW. Quite a few years back now I used to argue with the likes of wurzel about DEFRA and NAtural England. Now I realise what a total fool I was. I still diasagree with peter on the effect of some commercial fishing on fish stocks, but his summary of defra and related quangos was perfect. He called them the "Need to manage brigade" and he was sooo so right. They need to manage us to keep thier jobs.

Just continue watching Captain becuase theres still a few believe in the eutopia theory but I believe most will realise its all a big game before much longer. The only ones who wont get it are the likes of Leon because his agenda is green rather than angling based.

LOLOL it comes to everybody in the end. no offence intended barry :lol::thumbs:

None taken captain. :)

My reply to idiotic personal comments Glennk:

upyoursGlennk.jpg

Edited by barry luxton

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..