European rules threaten to "smother sea angling"

Anglers' Net

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It sort of says the right thing but as usual they fail to be clear on one thing. The question I would like to have answered is "Do the Angling Trust support continued full access to the shore with anglers being able to keep all that they catch ?"

Sea anglers are offering to become “standing patrols” in future marine protected zones where other fishing may be banned if they are allowed to fish in them. They could instantly report any illegal commercial activities so reducing the cost of policing the areas.

These statements they put out are never clear on this point. I note the Angling Trust are keen to volunteer us to do a job that the sea fisheries committees or whatever they will be renamed as should be doing, ie policing closed areas. The angling trust are never clear on whether they support us being be allowed to fish these areas with no restrictions or whether they want us to be allowed access to fish whilst being restricted on catches (Ie given bag limits).

If the Angling Trust expect me to operate as an unpaid vigilante style enforcement officer for the local government then they had better be fully protecting my rights as a sea angler to continue unrestricted access to the shoreline unless they can prove to me that my activities impact on that environment and fish stock levels.

Edited by glennk

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

"Recreational sea angling (RSA) is a successful part of the British fishing industry,"

That's an interesting development ????

Must have been thinking of you dangling when they wrote that bit, Wurzel :D

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

"Recreational sea angling (RSA) is a successful part of the British fishing industry,"

That's an interesting development ????

:lol:

I bet its part of this continued drive to get sea angling recognised. Sadly they don't seem to want to let it drop and I reckon most of the damage is already done as we seem to be recognised now and with that comes all this other crap about closed areas, bag limits, bait permits, rsa travestys and god knows what else. Peter you were right when you said beware the need to manage brigade as they will manage you out of existance and the UKIP leader Nigel Farage was right when he said be careful what you wish for.

Its all about to come into reality and a handful of people have a whole lot to answer for.

Its all about to come into reality and a handful of people have a whole lot to answer for.

So time for the rest of the sea anglers to get together and make their voices heard!

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

So time for the rest of the sea anglers to get together and make their voices heard!

I always felt it would be when people start seeing the threats down in black and white that they will stand up and shout. Just for examples sake : Natural England announce some rather vague plan to close certain areas (Vagueness) and limit what some people (vague again) do there. Noone actually knows what is going to happen and they dont know if it impacts them or not. As they people have busy lives, going out to work and looking after families and a bit of leisure time to go fishing, they dont go to the meetings.

Scenario 2

Natural Engalnd Finally announce that they intend to close an area of your favourite beach for fishing. You will be aloud to go there but wont be able to take your fish home. Also you will no longer be able to collect your peelers and worms there without first getting a permit from the local council. Once you have a permit you will be aloud 6 peelers a day and 10 lugworms. Removal of whiteworm is now banned as the lesser spotted puffincreeper loves them. The far end of your favourite beach is closed due to the pressence of the great crested Newt and the odd underwater sponge. The average man now realises what he has enjoyed for years is now going to be taken from him for no reason. He gets angry and goes to tell Natural England they are a load of plonkers and they cant possibly justify keeping him off his favourite beach.

Quote:

Sea anglers are offering to become “standing patrols” in future marine protected zones where other fishing may be banned if they are allowed to fish in them. They could instantly report any illegal commercial activities so reducing the cost of policing the areas.

Someone having a laugh here. I wouldn't like to become a spy on behalf of the men in suits who make it their life's quest to issue more and more rules, regulations, blady bla, for all to follow or else, without any thought as to how they are going to police the said same rules and regulations they thrive on. Dream on.

Can the ones who have offered stand up please? Not on my behalf, can you make a point of that as well.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

In reply to Glennk's previous post:

That's where the consultations are useful isn't it. In days gone by SSSIs etc were designated without consulting 'stakeholders' and based on restricting damage to sites that were frequently damaged or isolated to the point of no return.

If some sea areas are damaged or, are likely to suffer damage through a specific action, say dredging, then slapping a protected area designation on it can legally prevent further damage......whilst retaining existing recreational 'rights'.

All of the consultations that I have seen recently have been either by internet or postal forms. A vast improvement over the planning style 'go to a meeting or have an airport built in your back garden' scenarios.

Additionally, a national organisation of anglers would carry a lot more weight. (whether the AT are the right team for the job is uncertain however).

The scare stories concerning the closing of beaches and banning of angling etc. are in my opinion just that. Crap spread by the fanatical angling press to sell copy. If you look at the proposals there is very little (if anything) to suggest such action is to be taken. As I mentioned earlier in another thread, 621 SACs since 1992 and 257 SPAs since 1979. Where are the angling restrictions?

One scare story however and one to watch if getting backing from the media or other organisations.

Just recently the EA proposed a catch and release of all coarse fish and grayling. There was a huge amount of interest by the Angling Times who persuaded all of their readers that catch and release would instantly stop all Eastern Europeans from eating any carp that the otters had left for them. The result? 95% of 'anglers' who seem to have little clue about fishing wild waters voted for compulsory catch and release. Some concessions to grayling munching and pike livebaits are to be made but generally you're going to suffer if you like the odd perch for tea. Guess who sat on the fence and waffled? Guess who backed the 95% when it had been accepted? Yep, the Angling Trust. It's not often that I agree with Steve C but they didn't stand up for all anglers' rights on that occasion!

Edited by Worms