What is a good general float rod in fibreglass

watatoad

dragoncarp have vitro-fibre rods which are mostly fibre-glass with a cheap grade carbon wrap mix too give a very strong composite .and the closest you'll get too a modern fibreglass rod ,the Azure range is the one too get ,the problem is what too spend the other £180 on ,as fibreglass/carbon composites are rather cheap too make (as its the carbon thats expensive =the higher the price the greater the carbon content ) so costwise £20 is too much .but with the right mix these rods are virtually unbreakable as the fibreglass gives the flexability and carbon the stiffness .they will bend through 90* too the butt .ok wieghtwise and thickness are a sacrifice but within reason .

i'd go for the azure 11ft barbel (1.5TC) suitable as a avon style rod ,or if you need length try the Gold Medal 13ft. 2pce PowerPellet Rod - Twin Top (1.25lbs and 1.75lbs.) which would make a good avon/barbel rod (which is what it was sold as prieviously ,but pellet wagglers are the fasionable thing these days )

http://www.dragoncarpdirect.com/acatalog/rods.html

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With the money he will have over perhaps I can scrounge some fish and chips...hehehe, Its will be the nearest I get to fishing for a few days.

I tried to think and I searched and I could come up with nothing unless he has a rod built, I can see where he is coming from as he was only a kid when it happened. Recon it would have made a lasting impression on me, his mate was in the tree and he did not come out of it.

I suggested second hand maybe off the bay or looking round the net, I even offered one of my old ABUs but no he wants new, guess maybe I will have to make him one if I can get a good blank which I doubt.

I see where some of you are coming from but fibreglass does not usually come with a warning sticker and is less prone to hard frost problems.

We appear to be having a good thaw in Suffolk, so the next thing will be melt water and idiots cranking sluice gates wide open, just in case.

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

If I was that paranoid about electrocution whilst fishing I'd buy a cane rod...........oh, I have!.........better fish playing than glass and better bite detection than carbon........I'm surprised nobody else mentioned it :P

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

dragoncarp have vitro-fibre rods which are mostly fibre-glass with a cheap grade carbon wrap mix too give a very strong composite .and the closest you'll get too a modern fibreglass rod ,the Azure range is the one too get ,the problem is what too spend the other £180 on ,as fibreglass/carbon composites are rather cheap too make (as its the carbon thats expensive =the higher the price the greater the carbon content ) so costwise £20 is too much .but with the right mix these rods are virtually unbreakable as the fibreglass gives the flexability and carbon the stiffness .they will bend through 90* too the butt .ok wieghtwise and thickness are a sacrifice but within reason .

i'd go for the azure 11ft barbel (1.5TC) suitable as a avon style rod ,or if you need length try the Gold Medal 13ft. 2pce PowerPellet Rod - Twin Top (1.25lbs and 1.75lbs.) which would make a good avon/barbel rod (which is what it was sold as prieviously ,but pellet wagglers are the fasionable thing these days )

http://www.dragoncarpdirect.com/acatalog/rods.html

I'm amazed at the prices of their products and perhaps a little cynical and thinking that their stuff is not a lot of good.Has anyone on here had any experience of it.At these sorts of prices they'd be ideal for someone starting out or for a youngster.

I'm amazed at the prices of their products and perhaps a little cynical and thinking that their stuff is not a lot of good.Has anyone on here had any experience of it.At these sorts of prices they'd be ideal for someone starting out or for a youngster.

i have a few of their rods ,never let me down ,infact i think they sell one of the best spliced tipped 13ft rods ever ,in their oxygen range ok its not cheap at £75 but its a beautiful rod ,in fact i liked it so much i went too buy its bigger brother the 15ft waggler but they had none at the shop in hucknall (loads apparently in the skegness shop , <_< blooming typical :rolleyes: ) so i walked out the shop....... with the excellent 11ft version perfect for my chubbing .its a called a "" pellet waggler "" but more of a avon action and T/c .

i also have two pentra barbel rods that give good service now for a good 3 or 4 years ,i've a 13ft heavy float rod with three tops ( 1lb,1.5lb,2lb ) i use for pellet waggler / method feeder work ,two 11m poles ,i broke a section on one (trying too free a stuck joint ,being heavy handed i crushed both sides ) so i brought another as it had a spare top sections which i used too fix the other pole .i have a older 10ft waggler i use for chubbing as its too heavy a action for light floatwork bent it double a few times but not managed too break it yet despite a couple of years of abuse .reels wise i've owned some in the past but upgraded too some no name jobbies of e-bay ,they didn't let me down ,i just went for some reels with more bearings in for my barbel rods .i still have a open faced reel from them thats still going strong after 3-4 years of use all be it light use .i buy sundry items from their shop ,i have had a few of those let me down ,or they wasn't upto the abuse ,but then they only cost a quid or two ,i've a match set of keepnets and a couple of landing nets ,i did manage too break the scales but i think that was more due too me standing on them though .

they have a flat rate for postage ,something too watchout for if using mailorder ,i'd just say have a realistic view of the quality of the stuff and don't expect too much beyond whats reasonable ,and you just might be suprized

don't judge their stuff harshly just because its not a top brand named or just cheap ,because cheap sometimes just means inexpensive ,ok some of their cheaper rods etc aint going too be the thinest or lightest or look as pretty as some top branded stuff but if its all relative too how you fish wether you hold your rods or use rests .

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

I have bought 2 products from Dragon carp. A carp rod years ago that still gets used occasionally as a beachcaster and a chair. The chair lost 2 of its rubber feet in the mud but otherwise was great. It's true you get whet you pay for but those 2 products were very useable.

All very interesting and shows that you don't need to spend a lot of money to get started.Watatoad-thanks for your P.M.

I wish there had been something like this around when i started out in the early 70's.I remember having to save pocket money for weeks to buy a half decent reel - a Mitchell 324.

I'm gonna take the plunge and shell out on one of their beach tripods simply -£16 including delivery-huge risk though :D

when you mean carbon is best you really mean thinner? the best fibreglass is the same weight but thicker than carbon but far more resilient ;)

When I say carbon is best I mean in almost every way that improves your fishing. Better action due to inherent stiffness, thinner for a given test curve due to it's high tensile and compressive strength, lighter by volume etc.

Glass is more resilient, yes - but you miss out on all the advantages so that you can step on your rod (although not with my shakespeare alpha when I was a kid!). In terms of flexibility, the advantages of it being able to be bent double do not necessarily create a good rod for fishing. Other than for nostalgic reasons, I don't think I would use a glass rod or recommend one. I think I would actually prefer cane.

I've still got an old AC2 Tench Rod in glass (North Western Blanks? (Built by Terry Someone)). Through use the tip has a permanent 'set' in it giving the top 2" a droop! The writings worn off now - can someone tell me who Terry was? I used to get a catalogue with all his hand built rods in once a year and I'd read it cover to cover. It had stories of night fishing for cod, everything. What was his name dammit!

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

When I say carbon is best I mean in almost every way that improves your fishing. Better action due to inherent stiffness, thinner for a given test curve due to it's high tensile and compressive strength, lighter by volume etc.

Glass is more resilient, yes - but you miss out on all the advantages so that you can step on your rod (although not with my shakespeare alpha when I was a kid!). In terms of flexibility, the advantages of it being able to be bent double do not necessarily create a good rod for fishing. Other than for nostalgic reasons, I don't think I would use a glass rod or recommend one. I think I would actually prefer cane.

I've still got an old AC2 Tench Rod in glass (North Western Blanks? (Built by Terry Someone)). Through use the tip has a permanent 'set' in it giving the top 2" a droop! The writings worn off now - can someone tell me who Terry was? I used to get a catalogue with all his hand built rods in once a year and I'd read it cover to cover. It had stories of night fishing for cod, everything. What was his name dammit!

Terry Eustace?