Can I easily discover a FONT?

Chris Goddard

I have been asked by a local business person to build him a two page site! And while I think I am capable of doing this he has just had some flyers done and wants to make the site the same as the flyers. Hence the two pages!

BUT the company who printed and designed the flyers are NOT letting him have the copyright!! He say he has paid for this anyway and it is his by right. And as he is CERTAINLY not a Numpty I think he is right? Meantime I am stuck with the main fonts they used and have looked through my couple of hundred and cannot see them! IS there somewhere I can search by some parameters?

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

i suppose you could try here then simply take it or make a copy?

http://www.identifont.com/

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

The printing company is right Chris and your friend is wrong. It would be like your friend deciding thet he wanted to edit the flyer and asking the printer for his copy of Quark to do the job with. The fonts will have been licenced to the printer from a font foundry like Linotype, Bitstream or even Adobe. The foundry is the Intellectual Property holder of the font and the printer is the licensee. The printer cannot supply the font files to any third party. If you want to use the same fonts on the web site your mate is going to have to fork out for the fonts. Please DON'T be tempted to just blag it and scan the fonts or anything like that. Font foundries are notoriously litigious.

The most basic legal rule of font copyright is that unless the license specifically allows it, fonts cannot be shared among multiple computers, even if they are all owned by the same person or corporation, and fonts cannot be given away to others. In all cases the EULA is the authoritative source for specific licensing details.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

You can tell him the only way, other than paying for a license to use those fonts, is to have new ones printed up using only fonts that are publicly available (free) for online use. Then you can easily do the web site for him.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Thanks Guys! What I did was to use the PDF I got and imported that into my Serif x2 programme and from this I then imported it into my website programme. This then tells me that the fonts I need to complete the page are missing and these fonts are....... :) As the creature say SIMPLES!! NOT!!

I then of course find that as has been said (Didn't realise that it cost so much!!) The fonts are licensed!! SO I now know I need :

Euro Sans (Supposedly free from Adobe?) Well it is but it will not seemingly install!

Gill Sans GOT IT!

Times Got that too!

Stencil Standard Got that as well!

DAX!!! Extra and \medium. Different matter they were apparently produced for UPS?? So I just need to find a replacement!

But as always extremely grateful for all the replies!!

ANYONE know a good DAX salesman? I am NOT about to spend €40+ on a single font! :P

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

Thanks Guys! What I did was to use the PDF I got and imported that into my Serif x2 programme and from this I then imported it into my website programme. This then tells me that the fonts I need to complete the page are missing and these fonts are....... :) As the creature say SIMPLES!! NOT!!

I then of course find that as has been said (Didn't realise that it cost so much!!) The fonts are licensed!! SO I now know I need :

Euro Sans (Supposedly free from Adobe?) Well it is but it will not seemingly install!

Gill Sans GOT IT!

Times Got that too!

Stencil Standard Got that as well!

DAX!!! Extra and \medium. Different matter they were apparently produced for UPS?? So I just need to find a replacement!

But as always extremely grateful for all the replies!!

ANYONE know a good DAX salesman? I am NOT about to spend €40+ on a single font! :P

What are you going to do with these fonts once you've found them? It's all very well having them on your PC, but if anyone looking at the site doesn't have them too, then their browser will just substitute something else. Someone the other day was trying to explain to me some new way of doing it involving CSS and, I think, Javascript, but quite honestly, it was all way over my head. The bottom line though is that typography on the web is all a bit of a minefield. There's a world of difference between speccing fonts for print and for the web.

GOOD POINT Yorkio!! What I intended to do was to show the guy who wants the site why HIS fonts would not work properly! I don't think they are ALL websafe fonts either. But he is French and my French is NOT up to explaining it!

Thanks Guys!

Chris Goddard

The graphic design company is of course not obliged to provide you with a licence to use the fonts they have chosen, nor with the font files themselves, but refusing to give the names of the fonts strikes me as petty and unprofessional.

• 3 months later...

www.whatthefont.com

for anyone who might be interested in this, take a scan of the flyer crop out a large word then upload the image to that website, it will identify each letter and you must tell it what they are if it did not get it correct then it will searhc its database.

its never got it wrong for me yet.

in some cases the font i couldnt find on my own system actually turned out to be freely available for download

Edited by Andy_1984

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

You can download DAX from this site.

http://www.font-zone.com/download.php?fid=256

I don't know whether it is web safe or not, but like Yorkio said just because you have the font on your site does not mean that your visitors will see that font. They will just get plain old Arial if they don't have DAX installed.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote