SPLATTED SQUIRREL

Janet

Took Olly for a walk in the woods today and found this little critter...

4281503117_7ea27afae7_o.jpg

Yes, I know it's OOF and not very good, being quite a big crop, but that's not why I posted it!

Just a couple of minutes later, after I approached too closely, it scuttled away up the tree...

We sat down for a rest on the wall when suddenly "SPLAT!".....

I've never seen a squirrel fall out of a tree before! Judging by where it landed, it must have fallen from about forty feet! It lay there for a moment or two, spread-eagled on the path before dashing back to the tree and legging it up and out of the way of Max, the dotty rotty....

It then spent the next half hour in the fork of the tree, about twenty feet up, looking a bit dazed whilst Max went do-lally trying to catch it!

4281543497_8fcc3cfc7e.jpg

4282285068_22fc6b4fe6.jpg

Could it survive long after a fall like that? You really needed to be there to appreciate the "thwack" as it hit the ground!

Janet

Janet, OH Janet!! They are built like brick outhouses!! Why do you think they are so BL**DY good at surviving!!! Without putting too fine a point on this I am a pretty good shot and have landed one or three Bisley Magnums at around 20 Yds in one and it took four to make it fall from the tree!! And these WERE head shots. And I shot rabbits at 40yds plus and they went down with just ONE shot I assure you!

(Sorry if you are upset by this, not my intention to dis you!)

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

Janet, OH Janet!! They are built like brick outhouses!! Why do you think they are so BL**DY good at surviving!!! Without putting too fine a point on this I am a pretty good shot and have landed one or three Bisley Magnums at around 20 Yds in one and it took four to make it fall from the tree!! And these WERE head shots. And I shot rabbits at 40yds plus and they went down with just ONE shot I assure you!

(Sorry if you are upset by this, not my intention to dis you!)

Yup. they are the original tiggers...."their tops are made out of rubber and their bottoms are made out of springs" Blast them with a 12 bore...both barrels and when your dog goes to pick'em up they attach themselves to the dog's face with a grip something akin to Cascamite, Araldite, Superglue etc. but with attitude!

The one bonus is that, once you have extinguished them they taste delicious.....a bit tough to skin and joint but after a bit of marinade they make a fabulous pie/stew :D

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Yes they do like most "Critters" take a good picture! But what gets MY GOAT is that despite it actually being ILLEGAL to release them back into the wild after capture you quite often see the RSPCA types who collect animals which have NOTHING wrong with them!! Letting the little buggers go again!!! Should have one shoved down there bloddy trousers they should! :-)

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

Blast them with a 12 bore...both barrels and when your dog goes to pick'em up they attach themselves to the dog's face with a grip something akin to Cascamite, Araldite, Superglue etc. but with attitude!

When I was a teenager there was a shilling-a-tail bounty on grey squirrels. We used BSA/Webley bog-standard airrifles - not as powerful as a modern Weirach. Hit a squoggie, and it would fall out of the tree, bounce up and go straight back up the nearest tree trunk, trailing its bounty after it.

However, my mate had a couple of Alsatians that would make short work of any grounded squirrel (did you know an Alsatian after a squirrel can run eight feet up a tree trunk?) No trouble from Master Squirrel fighting back - I assume your dogs are gundogs - trained to pick up game gently ?

We made quite a bit of welcome spare cash on that bounty, kept a few tails for fly-tying, and ate a lot of squirrel meat. As you say, they are a bit tiresome to skin and trim out - I'm too lazy to do that these days.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Fairly regular in the garden. we had a yuka tree and they climb up and fall down 'cause they just can't grip the leaves.

Had one fall about 30 feet out of an oak tree near to me when fishing to. It fell in the canal and actually managed to look embarrassed.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

in my youth me and a mate nearly wiped the greys out for two years in tilford:)

taste great and they present a great fight!

:)

put them across a baked bean tin in a bon fire and bang!!!

halves it well and propels it atleast 20 ft

sod everyone else,do it anyway:)

sod duck season lets have tvla season!

capita beware(thiefs with badges)

e7b81d_666666.gif

anphotologo.jpg