The loop cast for centrepin

tiddlertamer

When undertaking a loop cast with my centrepin, I take two/three loops of line and then sweep the rod forward releasing the loops at about 45 degrees.

Should I be releasing all the loops simultaneously? Or should the loops nearest the rod tip or alternatively the loops nearest the centrepin be released fractionally before the other loops.

Thank you. :)

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days without taking a fish. (Hemingway - The old man and the sea)

I'd just forget the loops and learn to cast (properly) straight off the reel. Go see Alan Roe for a lesson !

You'll enjoy your pin fishing much more once you've masterd the wallise cast.

Or should the loops nearest the rod tip or alternatively the loops nearest the centrepin be released fractionally before the other loops.

Simal...Simul..Simel...at the same time Tiddler. If you can achieve the timing required for a staggered release then forget the loop method and learn wallis casting, it’ll be a breeze.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

If you can achieve the timing required for a staggered release

I think I'd like to see anyone who could do that, I'm not even considering having a try. :blink:

..........but if you wanted to have a go it would surely have to be the loop nearest the rod tip released first......

I think I'd like to see anyone who could do that, I'm not even considering having a try. :blink:

..........but if you wanted to have a go it would surely have to be the loop nearest the rod tip released first......

Hard to believe because I can be particularly cack handed at times but, I think I was near to mastering the art of the staggered release...

Back to the drawing board though...

Unfortunately, I hadn't thought it through properly and released the loop nearest the centrepin first. D'oh! :rolleyes:

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days without taking a fish. (Hemingway - The old man and the sea)

yes ,highest loop first ,then so on & so on .if you hold the line on the pads of your fingertips ,once the first loop is released the rest should automatically release themselfs with the momentum of the accelerating line .its not a cast i use too often (no need as i can do a proper real mans cast) from memory i cast with the rod angled up accross my body and over my left shoulder and release the line as the rod tip comes into view at eye level ( i'm stood in the middle of me front room doing imaginary casting :wiggle: ,and the dog is giving me funny looks :doh: ) ,i hold the highest loop over my little pinky (as it gives a better/faster release) then successive fingertips .i flick my whist ,so it twists up and away from me as i release the line .

personally though ,ive no use for it's just too much faffing around for me.

Edited by chavender

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

,i hold the highest loop over my little pinky (as it gives a better/faster release) then successive fingertips .i flick my whist ,so it twists up and away from me as i release the line .

If your pinky is holding the loop nearest the rod tip, does this mean that as you look at your hand, it is in fact the back of the hand you see rather than the palm.

If so, not only was I releasing the line in the wrong order, the hand that holds the line was in fact the wrong way round! More d'ohs... :rolleyes:

If your pinky is holding the loop nearest the rod tip, does this mean that as you look at your hand, it is in fact the back of the hand you see rather than the palm.

If so, not only was I releasing the line in the wrong order, the hand that holds the line was in fact the wrong way round! More d'ohs... :rolleyes:

yes i cast with my palm facing downwards more natural that way & it makes releasing the line easier

now if i was doing a nottingham cast (no ,not the loop cast ,but the origanal nottingham cast ) then i'd hold the loop (between reel & first eye) with me palm facing upwards with the line lightly pinched between forefinger and thumb

a loop cast is made by drawing loops of line from between the rod eyes above the first eye . with the casting effort applied through the rod and the line cast off the rod not the reel ,highly favored by the south yorkshire anglers (sheffield ,rotheram and doncaster) in victorian times and known as the sheffield style

with a traditional nottingham cast you draw a loop from the reel & the first eye ,hold out too the side ,and the casting effort is in propelling the weight forwards while maintaining the tension on the line in the loop untill its released .this is however only a short distance cast you hang a length equal too the rod length + the loop length (roughly half as much again the size of the loop determines the extra distance required 1 to 1 1/2 rod lengths ,its a slow cast ,no rushing everthing under control ,it can be very accurate ,you can increase the distance too two and a bit rod lengths by drawing a second loop from beyond the first eye ,hence the miss conception and confusion with the proper loop cast (sheffield style cast) now (wrongly) kown as a nottingham cast .most people using a amalgamation of the two and draws successive loops from between the bottom four eyes and the bottom eye and reel and distance cast determined by the number of loops used and size of the loops drawn.

Edited by chavender

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

yes i cast with my palm facing downwards more natural that way & it makes releasing the line easier

now if i was doing a nottingham cast (no ,not the loop cast ,but the origanal nottingham cast ) then i'd hold the loop (between reel & first eye) with me palm facing upwards with the line lightly pinched between forefinger and thumb

a loop cast is made by drawing loops of line from between the rod eyes above the first eye . with the casting effort applied through the rod and the line cast off the rod not the reel ,highly favored by the south yorkshire anglers (sheffield ,rotheram and doncaster) in victorian times and known as the sheffield style

with a traditional nottingham cast you draw a loop from the reel & the first eye ,hold out too the side ,and the casting effort is in propelling the weight forwards while maintaining the tension on the line in the loop untill its released .this is however only a short distance cast you hang a length equal too the rod length + the loop length (roughly half as much again the size of the loop determines the extra distance required 1 to 1 1/2 rod lengths ,its a slow cast ,no rushing everthing under control ,it can be very accurate ,you can increase the distance too two and a bit rod lengths by drawing a second loop from beyond the first eye ,hence the miss conception and confusion with the proper loop cast (sheffield style cast) now (wrongly) kown as a nottingham cast .most people using a amalgamation of the two and draws successive loops from between the bottom four eyes and the bottom eye and reel and distance cast determined by the number of loops used and size of the loops drawn.

Thank you. That description has been extremely helpful. It's all starting to make sense.

One final question and I guess it concerns the holy grail of centrepin casting.

Yup. That's right. The wallis cast. Quite how is it done? :)