Mice in my fishing tackle AAAaarggghh

Guest Chris Perch

Guest Chris Perch

Ive just been out to my garage to sort out my tackle for my next trip in a few weeks and I was greeted by a big hole in my tackle bag with loads of gear including one of my reel spools having been chewed up by mice (my own fault as I left a bag of boilies in it)

Then the little blighter jumped out of the bag and ran up my landing net pole and onto my rod rack then dissapeared behind my cuppboards no doubt to chew on some thing else.

My tackle bag stunk of mice droppings and urine (Good job ive got two spare ones) as its now fit for the bin.

So after my initial string of bad language I went out and got some poisen to put down so I hope that will sort em!

A bit of advise never leave unused bait in with your tackle even in boxes as mice will chew right through them.

P S - are mice any good for pike bait????????????

Edited by Chris Perch

Better with traps, with poison they'll die in a place you can't get to them and stink the place out. Plus if you catch one by it's foot you can torture it to death ;)

Edited by Tigger

Try the Isaak Walton Frog Technique. (that sounds similar to a Volkswagen Advert!) See thread on live baiting.

Edited by arbocop

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

I would have thought so, Pike do go for mice style lures. I have to admit I have bought a number of Pike flies mice imatations, I have never used them but they looked so good I just had to buy them.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

I would have thought so, Pike do go for mice style lures. I have to admit I have bought a number of Pike flies mice imatations, I have never used them but they looked so good I just had to buy them.

I had a deer hair mouse for a while. I never used it either.

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

Ive just been out to my garage to sort out my tackle for my next trip in a few weeks and I was greeted by a big hole in my tackle bag with loads of gear including one of my reel spools having been chewed up by mice (my own fault as I left a bag of boilies in it)

Then the little blighter jumped out of the bag and ran up my landing net pole and onto my rod rack then dissapeared behind my cuppboards no doubt to chew on some thing else.

My tackle bag stunk of mice droppings and urine (Good job ive got two spare ones) as its now fit for the bin.

So after my initial string of bad language I went out and got some poisen to put down so I hope that will sort em!

A bit of advise never leave unused bait in with your tackle even in boxes as mice will chew right through them.

You're not alone.

I had a almost brand new Daiwa ruck sack in the shed. Over the winter mice got in and made a nest in the top. The smell of urine was enough to gag a maggot so it had to be chucked. Then when I checked my neoprene chesties the little bar***s had eaten a hole 3" across right at the hip.

I'm going to get some poison but I don't want one that kills, I want one that will have them writhing in agony for a few weeks <_<

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

When we moved into this house in the late summer I was ill so had people to help us, as a result tons of stuff got lost in the garage. I've been ill since so didn't get a chance to go looking for my fishing tackle until a couple of weeks ago. Turns out we've got Rats in there. They completely destroyed my large hold-all that was full of bags of boilies and ground bait. They also managed to kill an alarm, 2 landing nets and my unhooking mat.

We've now put poison down. The most common poisons, anticoagulants, do kill slowly and painfully, they cause their blood not to clot and they eventually bleed to death. If I remember correctly, it takes longer on mice than it does rats, oddly. I saw a mouse trap in a shop the other day that electrocutes them in a little chamber, didn't see one big enough for rats though.

Snap! A couple of months ago several mice jumped out of my bag! That wasn't the worst of it though! One little bugger stayed in there and then got out in the car and lived in there for a few weeks!

Luckily all that they had done is eaten a net and my cheap weigh sling! All my fault though, I left pellets in the bag! How stupid am I? The smell is nasty though!

Rich

I saw a mouse trap in a shop the other day that electrocutes them in a little chamber

When I did my National Service in the RAF, mice in billets were a common problem.

I initiated a "mouse sweepstake" whereby we each invented a different mousetrap, each paid an entry fee of half-a-crown, and the first one to catch a mouse scooped the pool. Each invented mousetrap had copyright - so everyone had to think for themselves. Much ingenuity resulted.

My preferred method was a chunk of cheese threaded on a bit of wire. To reach the cheese the mouse had to stand on a small metal tray. "Cheese wire" connected to red terminal, tray to black terminal. A small block of wood kept the two from making accidental contact.

Won several pools with that one.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Just bought a 3500 Baitrunner plus off e-bay which has been savaged by mice. Like new apart from the nibblings on the handle which I am in the process of repairing. Cant say the same about the keep net which I got out of the shed last week, it virtually fell apart