Commercial Bass Fishing

glennk

In terms of effectiveness how do the following methods compare :

Inshore drift netting

Drift netting anywhere

inshore fixed net

fixed net any depth

Rod and line methods

Wurzel's the man to answer that one, but I'd guess that drift netting is the most effective method most of the time.

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

Wurzel's the man to answer that one, but I'd guess that drift netting is the most effective method most of the time.

Glen where are we coming from here this is a very ambiguous question.

If you are drift netting for a pelagic species and you hit a big shoal results can be excellent, Nets staked out on the beach might take a few fish or set around some rocky outcrops. Regarding Bass netting there was a guy down in Plymouth called the Spaniard who used to set nets over shallow reefs and had some excellent catches. However the only way to get big hits of bass is when they shoal up in deep water during the winter and hit them wth big mid-water trawls.

Where is Challenge hiding these days?

Glen where are we coming from here this is a very ambiguous question.

If you are drift netting for a pelagic species and you hit a big shoal results can be excellent, Nets staked out on the beach might take a few fish or set around some rocky outcrops. Regarding Bass netting there was a guy down in Plymouth called the Spaniard who used to set nets over shallow reefs and had some excellent catches. However the only way to get big hits of bass is when they shoal up in deep water during the winter and hit them wth big mid-water trawls.

Hi Clive,

The reason I ask is I was speaking to the local cfo a month or so back. They were talking of the introduction of 5 fixed net licences being created for Flamborough area for bass. The fact it was only five did not worry me too much and I said as much to him. The reason given for wanting to introduce the licences was to control the fishery and allow people with a track record of drift netting to get a fixed net license.

At the moment anyone can drift net but they cant put a fixed one in place. So my thoughts were, its fair enough trying to get the drift netters to go to fixed nets so that you can limit the numbers and monitor them, but what is to stop more people just starting to drift net ? My thoughts were it would be better to leave it with no fixed nets allowed (based on water depth) and focus on limiting drift netting. Howevere I have been told drift netting is largely ineffective in the area.

I can see the reason it is in effective due to the amount of crab pots on the ground, but I just wondered what one of the commercials thought about it. Is drift netting effective and should it be something we should worry about. I think Wuezel might be a good bet for the info and Im sure he has already advised some of the locals up here of the best way to go.

WRT challenge, I noticed he was down as a guest which means his account on the site was closed. This usually means your either banned or you asked to be removed. In all the years Ive used the forum Ive never seen a person banned (maybe binatone was) but I think Elton quite liked challenge and what he brought to the forum made it active so Im guess ing he asked to be removed. What the reason for that was I havent a clue.

Ohh thats easy, he lost the maggie thatcher argument with me and has gone to russia. Snigger.

All the best Challenge. :)

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

In terms of effectiveness how do the following methods compare :

Inshore drift netting

Drift netting anywhere

inshore fixed net

fixed net any depth

Rod and line methods

Thats like asking an angler whats the best method and bait to catch cod, you would get 20 different answers depending on what part of the country you are fishing from.

Perhaps I'll have to come to Whitby with a selection of bass gear and find out for you Glenn.

I fish to live and live to fish.

So it could be a good idea to ask the fisheries committee to look at drift netting which at present has no restrictions ? in return for not kicking up a stink about the 5 fixed nets.

Glenn that sounds very much like emotional blackmail....... B)

Well someone wanted us anglers to have a voice. Although I didnt like the idea, and still dont, we might as well use it now we have it. Personally speaking I dont see 5 nets as a problem, but some of the anglers in the area are a little upset. Maybe it would be a good way to keep everyone happy, allow the 5 nets unopposed and ask for a ban on drift netting.

• 2 weeks later...

GLENNK Rod and line fishing for bass is the most consistant and effective method,

Drift net mainly only works when ragworm come to the surface during the night to mate, spring and autum

Bottom set net suffer with strong tides, sea weed, spider crab ect ect,

Rod and line can be worked over any ground bottom to surface