River Wensum

andy_youngs

This set of Bylaws has got right up my nose ....

http://www.ringlandparishcouncil.com/docum...anuary_2010.pdf

Since when did Ringland Parish Council acquire the right to stop me going fishing there?

Such places have traditionally been the reserve of the local kids out to catch their first roach or gudgeon.

To quote from John Wilson in 1997 (Where to Fish in Norfolk and Suffolk) :

"Upstream of Ringland Road Bridge on the southern bank, it is common land for the first two meadows, with access down a track in the village close to the post office. For a short 200 yard stretch on the northern bank, above the bridge, and on both banks for about 100 yards below the fishing is open to all. Here the Wensum runs clear and shallow between huge flowing weedbeds over a gravel bottom where roach, dace, trout, chub, huge gudgeon and grayling are caught on trotted baits or with fly tackle. In fact, the Wensum at this point is an excellent training ground for fly fishermen because it always contains a fair head of brown trout. One of the best ever caught here rests in a glass case in the public bar of the Swan, adjacent to the bridge. It weighed exactly 6lb and was caught by the late Cyril Bullard in 1957, not on fly, but on a minnow".

I shall be submitting a brief, polite, email to Ringland Parish Council enquiring why I now need their permission to fish on common land.

Hopefully, they will have the decency to reply ..... :angry:

never try and teach a pig to sing .... it wastes your time and it annoys the pig

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Before you write check on the Councils assumed right to control common land and or impose by-laws they may be in breach of the common lands act.

Possibly also infringing, denying and removing your human rights to access and use common land.

Edited by watatoad

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

Just go and fish...when the river season starts that is. The worst that can happen is someone will ask you to leave and if you are like me then they..... will leave you alone ;)

The point Tigger, is that a law has been put in place which normal people like you and me would rather not be party to. "just go there and fish" is an easy suggestion to make when you're not the one who has actually got to face the music ...

never try and teach a pig to sing .... it wastes your time and it annoys the pig

Reading through the document, it seems that there is very little they allow you to do apart, from walk or maybe sit in selected areas.

Are you sure that they haven't had it reregistered from common land to council land?

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

The point Tigger, is that a law has been put in place which normal people like you and me would rather not be party to. "just go there and fish" is an easy suggestion to make when you're not the one who has actually got to face the music ...

What...they play music to you while you fish :lol:

Being serious, do you mean hasstle ? Lets face it it's not the crime of the century now is it and the police wouldn't give a toss one way or the other. It is annoying though but that's councils for you (you won't win with em) that's why I said just go fishing and ignore it, I bet no one would say anything anyhow.

What...they play music to you while you fish :lol:

Being serious, do you mean hasstle ? Lets face it it's not the crime of the century now is it and the police wouldn't give a toss one way or the other. It is annoying though but that's councils for you (you won't win with em) that's why I said just go fishing and ignore it, I bet no one would say anything anyhow.

I'm saying it Tigger.

I'm saying it is wrong for Parish Councils to be allocating their time to these sorts of petty, draconian regulations. Personally, I object, and I intend to fight them ....

Hi Andy

I started reading this thinking it would be another thread about boats and the wensum but for once am completely in agreement with you.

We have lost a lot of access in suffolk to a change of owner of the land. The new owner coming in does not want anyone near his river. In one case the owner is foriegn.

Who's land, who's river??

We have a wonderfull winter roach venue in Nayland near colchester. The meadows were bought by the parish council with a huge grant from the district council. The only ones now allowed to fish are residents. But we all bought it.

For once I wish you luck.

regards

john

The byelaw does say that you should not fish "without the permission of the council"

Have you asked the council for permission?

What did they say?

If they say "of course you can" then this is a bit of a storm in a teacup. :rolleyes:

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

I'm saying it Tigger.

I'm saying it is wrong for Parish Councils to be allocating their time to these sorts of petty, draconian regulations. Personally, I object, and I intend to fight them ....

As Sportsman has pointed out if you ask permission it may just be given ...but personally I don't think you should have to go cap in hand asking to do a bit of fishing on a public stretch of the river.

It'll be interesting to see how you go on, good luck !