Safe Fishing

leedsunited

How many of you anglers believe fishing is safe for kids to do on their own ?

Ive been alright by myself but my parents get a bit worried when i ask to go to a lake on my own becasue teenageers older than me hang around there !

How many of you let your kids go on their own ?

I cant wait to get this fishing year off with a good start !

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest sslatter

leeds- I think the days of youngsters being "safe" while fishing on their own are over. I don't think there's anywhere 100% safe for them to go, whether fishing or otherwise. A sad indictment of our society today.

That being said, I don't think there is anywhere that is 100% safe for adults to go, either.

If you go fishing on your own try to peg near an older angler then you will have less bothe ras trouble causers will think youre with him/her

[ 01. January 2005, 07:48 PM: Message edited by: rob.i ]

when you think you know everything think again....

Graham, the days when anyone can safely go fishing on their own are long gone, particularly on rivers or canals :(

LeedsU Commercial lakes shouldn't be as much of a problem though, especially if you stay within easy sight of the main house and (as Rob says) fish close to an adult.

[ 01. January 2005, 09:32 PM: Message edited by: John S ]

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

Fishing is never safe even adults fall foul if the cold murky waters, as we have read many times.

I guess you infer to assault or bodily harm, well I'm afraid that it's a sign of the times that we live in, and no-ne is safe from that, not even the boys in blue that uphold the law of the land.

The only advice that I would give to anyone is Be sensible about who you speak to, where you go, and be aware of developing situations, such as a gang of unruly miscreants heading in your direction. don't put yourself in harms way.

I can remember as a youngster walking to a local brickworks pond at 4.00 am in the morning, plus cycling to the Staffs/Worcs canal at first light through country lanes.

Sadly, that wouldn't be possible any longer. Times have changed.

A lot depends on the venue though. I guess there are still plenty of places where a parent could drop off a reasonably aged youngster and then collect them at the end of the day and not have to worry about them all day.

Of course I am talking about responsible parents. Some don't seem to mind what their kids get up to.

Check out my weekly Angling Journal at.....Stewart Bloor's Angling Journal

What a sad indictment of todays society ?

So who do you Blame-- for me it was Thatcher-- the do your own thing and anything counts.

The lack of disipline in schools and now at home, what will happen when this latest lot have to earn a living.

And just to make the whole situation worse and as a live long Labour supporter, this goverment are on the side of the Left wing liberals that have brought this country to its knee's.

As for fishing its just a refection of the general dimise in safety this country is facing.

I have 6 grandchilren and would not allow any to go fishing without an adult on hand to keep an eye on them.

A mobile phone would seem to be a reasonable precaution.

But yes, we now live in the age of rule by mindless yobs. Where did todays society go wrong? Personally I don't think an education system that panders to the lowest common denominator has helped one iota. Nor do I think that TV programmes such as Grange Hill helped kids either.