Help Desiging my new reel / improving current model

ZenMaster

Based on appearance I don't like it....sorry zenmaster. It wouldn't be as bad if that great big knob wasn't so big, I can imagine keep catching on my clothing etc as it appears to stick out quite alot. As sportsman says the colours are gaudy and in my opinion it would look much better in black. Also it looks quite large and would look better in a smaller size, again just my opinion.

So if the colour was black the reel was say 4 to 4 1/2 inch and that bloomin knob was much smaller and less conspicuous I think maybe it would be worth a look. Oh the bearing suggestion of Alans sounds like good advice.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DSCF2088.jpg

i too own one ,not used it yet ,its a nice blue one ,the problem with adding a line guard is that these types of reels don't have a proper backplate too mount one too ,if you use a wire line guard then the the legs of the line guard would have too reach all the way behind the spool too the reels spine which would make it all rather flimsy .a much better idea would be too make a quarter plate back panel too mount the line guard too .giving more rigidity ,the whole thing could then be added too the current spine and held onto it with some small screws .

lineguards.jpg

but personally i wouldn't bother with a line guard ,they can be more trouble than they're worth .

there arn't the first reels of this type ,i've come accross a few simular ones all veriations on the theme .some even use the same basic set of parts . and its only the fancy patterns that separate them .

the swiss stucci (and dam robo's latest incarnation)

stucki145b.jpg

this american centrepin reel ,the makers name escapes me,with a rather unusural spool retention system

c299_34111409_std.jpg

this rather fetching bicycle wheel looking pin ,a proto type swivel pin

c259_34111355_std.jpg

another protype swivel pin this one is only a 4" version

10pin_11270751_std.jpg

this is the production version ,you'll notice the rather perculier double action brake /spool lock bolted onto the spine

AC_2771234_std.jpg

and its bearings cap on the front of the spool

acp_34110928_std.jpg

and this is it turned 90* too face forwards

mom75th_020_79181735_std.jpg

and the dam robo reel (probably made for them in Switzerland)

Bt6gFQwBGkKGrHqYH-EYEvsh4EjJSBL-Dm3.jpg

Bt6gIFwCWkKGrHqUH-EMEvcP5HLBL-DnBmd.jpg

i think once you start bolting extra's onto them you spoil their simplistic charm .

Edited by chavender

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

Guest Wilko 09

I have looked at these reels but the bling look and lack of bearings put me off, I also thought that they were American!

Make it black, put some bearings in and emphasize that they are made in England.

I too would prefer a more muted colour choice.

Line guard not necessary, I never use one and can't remember seeing anyone else using one, I'm sure some anglers use them but probably a very small percentage so if an optional one was available it would cover those potential customers.

If there are no bearings and as it doesn't look like it's a true pin reel is it just running on the spindle? Does it therefore run better used vertically like a bearing reel (or horizontally like a true pin)?

It must be worth a punt though at £30. B)

i too own one ,not used it yet ,its a nice blue one ,the problem with adding a line guard is that these types of reels don't have a proper backplate too mount one too ,if you use a wire line guard then the the legs of the line guard would have too reach all the way behind the spool too the reels spine which would make it all rather flimsy .a much better idea would be too make a quarter plate back panel too mount the line guard too .giving more rigidity ,the whole thing could then be added too the current spine and held onto it with some small screws .

lineguards.jpg

but personally i wouldn't bother with a line guard ,they can be more trouble than they're worth .

there arn't the first reels of this type ,i've come accross a few simular ones all veriations on the theme .some even use the same basic set of parts . and its only the fancy patterns that separate them .

the swiss stucci (and dam robo's latest incarnation)

stucki145b.jpg

this american centrepin reel ,the makers name escapes me,with a rather unusural spool retention system

c299_34111409_std.jpg

this rather fetching bicycle wheel looking pin ,a proto type swivel pin

c259_34111355_std.jpg

another protype swivel pin this one is only a 4" version

10pin_11270751_std.jpg

this is the production version ,you'll notice the rather perculier double action brake /spool lock bolted onto the spine

AC_2771234_std.jpg

and its bearings cap on the front of the spool

acp_34110928_std.jpg

and this is it turned 90* too face forwards

mom75th_020_79181735_std.jpg

and the dam robo reel (probably made for them in Switzerland)

Bt6gFQwBGkKGrHqYH-EYEvsh4EjJSBL-Dm3.jpg

Bt6gIFwCWkKGrHqUH-EMEvcP5HLBL-DnBmd.jpg

i think once you start bolting extra's onto them you spoil their simplistic charm .

With anglers as centrepin crazy or being kind centrepin obsessed as Chavender you can see why I call this place pinhead central... :bigemo_harabe_net-163: :bigemo_harabe_net-163: :bigemo_harabe_net-163:

Really great photo's Chavender many thanks, you must be one of the collecting anglers as well as fishing anglers with more reels than you know what to do with...hehehe...lucky you

So far the general consensus is NO LINE GUARD

And several want a duller colour so I guess you had better offer your reels in a darker and possibly a matt finish, any other suggestions for this Zen Master

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

With anglers as centrepin crazy or being kind centrepin obsessed as Chavender you can see why I call this place pinhead central... :bigemo_harabe_net-163::bigemo_harabe_net-163::bigemo_harabe_net-163:

Really great photo's Chavender many thanks, you must be one of the collecting anglers as well as fishing anglers with more reels than you know what to do with...hehehe...lucky you

So far the general consensus is NO LINE GUARD

And several want a duller colour so I guess you had better offer your reels in a darker and possibly a matt finish, any other suggestions for this Zen Master

i must admit ,i do have thousends of centrepins ,well photo's of them at least ,i do collect photo's of centrepins ,but its part of a plan too have a visual guide / reference libary of centrepins on a dedicated site one day ,i made a start but had too put it on hold as other website projects needed my fuller attention so my

http://centrepins.yuku.com/ site sits idle and maybe i'll find time too upload all my centrepin pictures one day soon

i've only a hand full of actual centrepins (7 or 8) not a lot really

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

i must admit ,i do have thousends of centrepins ,well photo's of them at least ,i do collect photo's of centrepins ,but its part of a plan too have a visual guide / reference libary of centrepins on a dedicated site one day ,i made a start but had too put it on hold as other website projects needed my fuller attention so my

http://centrepins.yuku.com/ site sits idle and maybe i'll find time too upload all my centrepin pictures one day soon

i've only a hand full of actual centrepins (7 or 8) not a lot really

After that I refuse to admit how many I have but I have sold over 50 in the last year...because I am a good Toad and my wife now cant say I have too many...all the rest are in a locked steel cabinet...hehehe

She opened a door of a cupboard and they fell on her en mass...hehehe...she was not amused, just a little bruised

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

I was thinking of getting a pin and joining this band of weirdos on here :P

I'll have a look at yours Zen and get one in silver, as ayjay says, gotta be worth a go at £30.

Ian

"If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving isn't for you"

Tigger is a self confessed 'Tart' and he pointed out your knob is too big, but perhaps that is just because you are cheap, I don't know <_<

I do think the knobs are to big and spoil the look of the reel. I don't think that's being tackle tartish :rolleyes: . It would be so easy to use smaller ones and a round flatter style. As I've said I also think it would suit a smaller diamater spool as being such a skeletor style reel it looks a little large in 5 inch, just my opinion :)

I have several pins - a couple of the old Leeds originals in two sizes which get a lot of use stalking and trotting, a Young's Bob James for trotting which is great for Wallis casting, and an old StrikeRite, which I've had from new for over 35 years which is a bit of a winch but perfectly useable.

I think if you can produce a reel for around £50 in a dull colour (green, grey, black, khaki whatever) without a line guard with a 4" drum it would hit most of my requirements. If I could get a spare spool for £20-£30 so I can have a couple of different lines available that would be better.

If you could make a robust 4.5" - 5" version with ball bearings and a rotating reel mount for sidecasting with braid, as a cheaper alternative to the Ray Walton RollingPin (which is ridiculously expensive at £330), and bring it in under £100, I would buy one straight away.

For a removable line guard why not go for a simple loop type, like the attached pic.

Best of luck - great to see someone having a go at manufacturing in the UK.

post-2408-1274864044_thumb.jpg

Edited by Wag

Where's the 'ANY' key?