Attracting rudd

Since the whole ethos of fishing (for me) is based on Mr. Crabtree, you must have been doing something terribly terribly wrong Rusty :rolleyes:

It was for me too when I had just bought the book. Also on Mr Crabtree's advice I took a load of par boiled spuds down to the local park lake and pre baited a swim. The people in the row boats thought I was lobbing stones at them, it was a good plan flawed only by the fact that I never went back and fished the swim!

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've found fishing after dark good for the larger rudd. I've had success fishing on the surface with bread and floating caster and in the same swims at all depths right down to the bottom (12ft) in the very same session. When fishing below the surface the most favoured bait was a corn and maggot cocktail. I was actually targeting tench when I got my best of 3lb 3ounces. I found spraying out a mixture of floating and sinking casters mixed with maggots a good way of attracting rudd.

Worms, never caught a rudd??

I thought you had caught everything and their decendants....lol.... :thumbs:

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

i fish for them using groundbait then spray maggots but i fish on a float with all my shot at the base and puta castor on the hook so it sinks very slowly rudd are surface feeders and love castors

Worms, never caught a rudd??

I thought you had caught everything and their decendants....lol.... :thumbs:

No rudd, tench, crucians or mud pigs........do you see the connection? :D Not much of a stillwater coarse angler but I am planning to target the first three particularly. I have a nice estate lake to fish for tench and crucians but no rudd as yet. Teme_man, there are lakes nearby with rudd but I'm looking for as natural a water as possible and not a stocked fishing pool!

I will find one!

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Start with tench then. It's addictive.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

...Vagabond...

I grew up in Bedfordshire and at the time early to late seventies i had access to several waters that contained good Rudd.The technique my father and myself used was to anchor a large onion bag or similar stuffed with stale bread to a housebrick and heave it out as far as possible into the swim.

The idea was to get the bag suspended about a foot to eighteen inches under the surface and wait for the Rudd to arrive.Fishing a piece of flake under a self cocking float was the tackle set up we used fished alongside the bag.Catches of a dozen or so good sized Rudd(1.5lb plus) were commonplace.We could never fish to far out as obviously trying to launch a brick plus the bag was tricky to say the least but in the margins it was a killer method.I should add that there was a second piece of cord tied to the brick and securely staked to the bank so we could retrieve the bag and brick.

We used this method for a few years at such well known lakes as Southill Park, Brogborough Pit and Elstow Pit(this was long before gained Linear took control of the lake) and it served us proud until the quality of the Rudd fishing began to decline.I did try this method about 7 or 8 years ago at a local lake and it still worked, unfortunately though it was also a magnet for the carp not to mention every swan on the lake :angry:

That's a right good idea Stret.... ;)

A bit like my punctured can full of fish waste for eels and pike.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

...Izaac Walton...

...Vagabond...

I've found fishing after dark good for the larger rudd. I've had success fishing on the surface with bread and floating caster and in the same swims at all depths right down to the bottom (12ft) in the very same session. When fishing below the surface the most favoured bait was a corn and maggot cocktail. I was actually targeting tench when I got my best of 3lb 3ounces. I found spraying out a mixture of floating and sinking casters mixed with maggots a good way of attracting rudd.

That's interesting. Does it apply at all times of year? I've got an idea at the back of my head that they are night feeders in winter.

john clarke

i fish for them using groundbait then spray maggots but i fish on a float with all my shot at the base and puta castor on the hook so it sinks very slowly rudd are surface feeders and love castors

So how does the groundbait affect things if it's on thebottom and the rudd are on the top? Doesn't it attract them away from where you are fishing (the to p) to the bottom?

john clarke