Hook Sharpener

Errrm

Hi,

I'm trying to find a hook sharpener because I'm fed up of my hooks losing the sharpness, can anyone give me any recommendations (links would be great) for hooks sharpeners? I haven't used one before so either something which is easy to use or comes with great instructions would be good.

Thanks

Errrm

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

I'm trying to find a hook sharpener because I'm fed up of my hooks losing the sharpness, can anyone give me any recommendations (links would be great) for hooks sharpeners? I haven't used one before so either something which is easy to use or comes with great instructions would be good.

Thanks

Errrm

Errrm, have a look at this topic: http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/Reccome...n-t1513849.html :)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I don't know if this is going to help.

I don't use a named fish hook sharpener. In its place I use a white Arkansas sharpening stone (slipstone) it's used by the jewelery trade for sharpening small tools and in particular engravers graver's the hand tool for engraving precious and semi precious metals, it's available in a variety of shapes and sizes try a google search for it or if you p.m. me I will give you a stockist.

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

Thanks for posting this Errm,

I've been trying to find the thread with the diamond eze sharpeners on it for a while,and now Andrew's pointed me to it. :)

Cheers

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Cheers Anderoo, is this what Budgie recommeded to you?

http://www.tedcarter.co.uk/product.php?pid...sharpener-88289

I can't see the ebay link he posted as it's no longer valid.

Yes, that's the one - highly recommended, I've used mine loads. At a previous Wingham fish-in he showed me how to use it properly too. I'll try to describe it.

Hold the sharpener vertical with the groove facing you. Hold the hook by the shank, with the bend and point facing the groove, and the point facing up. Hold the sharpener still and stroke the hook downwards at a 45deg angle, so just the tip of the point is sharpened. Then turn the hook to the left and repeat, and then to the right and repeat.

Three strokes is all you need, after that it should be needle sharp again.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Yes, that's the one - highly recommended, I've used mine loads. At a previous Wingham fish-in he showed me how to use it properly too. I'll try to describe it.

Hold the sharpener vertical with the groove facing you. Hold the hook by the shank, with the bend and point facing the groove, and the point facing up. Hold the sharpener still and stroke the hook downwards at a 45deg angle, so just the tip of the point is sharpened. Then turn the hook to the left and repeat, and then to the right and repeat.

Three strokes is all you need, after that it should be needle sharp again.

Cheers,

I think I understand, Just need to find a place to buy them as none of the usual online shops I use sell them.

Another quick question, can the sharpener be used on any style of hooks? i.e some of the teflon coated ones or the fox armapoint ones? Although I used the fox armapoint hooks at wingham and the gravel still managed to blunt the hook even though they claim they should last longer!

Thanks

Cheers,

I think I understand, Just need to find a place to buy them as none of the usual online shops I use sell them.

Another quick question, can the sharpener be used on any style of hooks? i.e some of the teflon coated ones or the fox armapoint ones? Although I used the fox armapoint hooks at wingham and the gravel still managed to blunt the hook even though they claim they should last longer!

Thanks

I've used mine mainly on the ESP raptors, which are straight point with a teflon finish. It does make the point shiny but that's OK. Since swapping to slightly curved point hooks I haven't had to sharpen a hook, but when I do I'll try in on those too - it should work OK. The smaller the hook, the harder it is, though - unless you can grip it with mini pliers or something.

The other thing I've used mine for is sharpening flies when trout fishing.

Thanks for posting this Errm,

I've been trying to find the thread with the diamond eze sharpeners on it for a while,and now Andrew's pointed me to it. :)

Cheers

John.

Im glad i saw this thread too. Ive had loads of hooks get the tip bent over which is so annoying when you have just run out of that size of hook. It would be ideal to just sharpen the hook rather than re-rig use a larger or smaller hook when you don't want to. Might treat myself to one of these. :thumbs:

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk