hunting

coxie

Phone, I know your post is several months old, but I still feel obligated to respond.

Do you hunt?

Reason I ask, is I suspect you get your idea of what happens to animals taken by hunters here in the states, rigt from the media.

I hunt, I, as you know, work in a sporting goods store. I know literaly hundreds of hunters, and know of not a single one who would not use the animal. It is illegal to take an animal and not use it, and furthermore, it is considered a grave offense by most hunters to do such a thing.

There are of course idiots who go on "canned hunts" in high fence areas just for a trophy, who don't use the meat, but these are a tiny minority, and as far as I and anyone I know is concerned, these are just killers, not hunters.

The typical hunter would happily take a large animal of the opportunity presented itself, but we would for certain eat it as well as look at it!

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fishing won't be banned...that's pretty obvious. It generates too much 'industry'. (that's money , jobs etc lol). No government worth it's salt would ban us.

Hunting is done by a small minority. In England these people are mainly Stuck up ScumHooray Henries.

It's bad news for anglers when the 'Hunting organisation' tries to use Angling ( our sport) as a scape goat (of sorts).

[ 29 July 2002, 06:39 PM: Message edited by: barblesss ]

Nightwing,

I believe you are misinterperting my post. I mean fewer people hunt because it is difficult to get the "little woman" or others to engage in the consumption of game.

As a hunter/fisherman admit it. You have thrown out fish with freezer burn or perhaps a rabbit that has gotton too old to use. If not, you are certainly the exception.

I used to hunt. I had a goal of getting a Boone and Crocket for every species in North America. Came close to. My last hunt was for a male mountan sheep, (I can't spell Dowl?, dole?, dowel?). Of the many firearms I have owned on this occasion I carried a 7mm Remington Magnum with 125 grain Horaday "high speed". I was on one mountain the ram was on another. I layed down arranged my jacket as a rest and fiddled for several minutes getting ready to shoot. I'll shorten my story as much as possible. The sheep fell 500 to 750 feet off the other side of the mountain. Storms were such it was 24 hours before I could recover the beast. A friend lowered line from the top and I cut the cape and head and kicked the balance of the carcuss into the stream. On the way up the head swung out and broke off one of the 7/8 full curl horns.

It was my last game hunt.

I have many similar stories. Ever try to share 800 lbs of mooseburger before it gets old or try to eat javalin jerky made from meat that partially spoilled in the two hours of desert heat it took to carry it out after field dressing? I once participated in a buffalo hunt in Arizona where the beast was pulled along by a jeep on a two hundred foot rope. No, I did not take my turn. AND, drinking was abundant!! go figure.

Except for a couple I just couldn't part with, guns are gone! but for personal reasons like I have described not because I am opposed to others hunting. Sporting harvest is perhaps the BEST way to control populations of game IMO.

After 30 odd years I am now able to take a shotgun when friends ask me to take them goose hunting along the Missouri but I rarely shoot anything but cripples and then only when I am sure the game will be enjoyed from the pot.

Phone

Edit: Nightwing, After re-reading my post I must emphasise, I am talking about cooking at home in general wild game or otherwise. You know, more than 50% of Americas food dollar is now spent in resturants?

Phone

[ 29 July 2002, 08:02 PM: Message edited by: phonebush ]

Dear All,

Foxhunting aside, please be forewarned.

Englishmen, not all, but enough to be alarmed, are being routed from those trenches that once made us great.

Minority groups of all sorts with all kinds of agenda's, some open, some hidden, are changing the very fabric of our society.

Our liberty and freedom of choice, once a national treasure for all to enjoy, is the great English oak that is being hewn twig by twig, branch by branch.

Jim Roper, in his way, pulls the rope beneath the bell that tolls for us all. Make no mistake my friends, unless we stop either looking the other way, or come out from our comfortable bunkers to face realities bright light, our turn WILL come.

As I said at the start, foxhunting aside. But;

Some anglers do not like foxhunting. Fair enough. Most against foxhunting have no affiliation with such a sport so why not express ones feelings against such a practice?

And so it goes. Foxhunting could melt into the same fog that handguns slipped into. OK. Fair enough. We dont hunt foxes and we dont shoot bullets from a handgun into little paper targets. But coming out of the fog since their ban, is more handguns on our streets and more crimes of violence involving the use of handguns than our nation has ever had before.

But time stops for no man. We move on. And moving silently behind our steps, are the stalking footprints of the minority groups. The anti-this and anti-that people.

We dont shoot driven pheasants. Its only toffs and rich blokes that pay for such shooting isn't it? It is now certain that the anti-movement plan to target the pheasant shooter next. Fair enough. We are members of the quiet sport. Or is that "safe sport"? We have nothing to fear. We are too big and no government will dare to take US on. Pheasant shooting goes? So what. Anyway. The general public like anglers. That same public that saw nothing wrong with foxhunting until the anti-publicity machine spent a few of its donated dollars.

Does it really matter that as time goes by, one group of Englishmen refuse to come to the side of other Englishmen in order to help them preserve their own way of life as we would like our own preserved?

How much longer do we stand by whilst a new generation of domestic politicians cowtow to minority views believing their views are the true opinion of the nation, thus preserving their votes at election? Do we keep on retreating from "spin"?

And at the end of the day, when anglers march into London to try and protect their way of life, their fishing, in the same way that others did for their own ways of life, their sports. Who on the march will not be touched by the sad stoney faces staring from within those lining the streets who like us, had marched before. Their sport long gone to fuel political continuence, and ours slipping quickly from our grasp.

From within the fog the bell tolls.

It does not merely toll for the foxhunter, the target shooter, the pheasant or rough shooter. Or for any of the other so called "blood sports".

My friends. Unless we make a stand, together with our fellow Englishman, it tolls for us all sooner or later.

Then when the fog clears and the bell tolls no more. The great oak will stand stripped starkly against scenery what once was, old England. Is this your vision for the future? Or do you honstly believe our time wont come? And if it does, as I believe it surely will as others fall before us, who else apart from anglers will there be left to come to our side?

Be assured, when we have to stand up for ourselves, we will stand alone unless we have the courage to help fight someone elses battle in order to preserve freedom and liberty.

Foxhunting, is in reality, very little to do with the cards being dealt out. But its subject does serve to divide and conquer which of course, is the anti's plan of attack.

Our freedom and liberty. Thats the bottom line, And thats whats at stake. For us all.

Regards,

Lee.

With regard to the question about what will be banned next. Not shooting?? I think it has already started. A friend of mine has just had his renewal for his firearms cert. Talk about jumping through hoops!!!! 8 passport photo's to start. Then two references from referrees who have personally known the gent sice he was 10 yrs old (OK so I exaggerate a little?!) But in a nutshell the finest piece? A letter telling him in great detail, "How to surrender your Certificate" Smallest form in the envelope!! But as he says "I've just put a .354 and a couple of other rifles on there!" I probably will not get them! But so have several other people and the paperwork for plod will be so enormous you can only feel sorry for them??!!

But I feel It is the start of the slippery slope myself. So please be warned that ANY!! form of outward bound pursuit where fur, feather, or fish are involved IS!! Fair Game!!!!(s'cuse pun!)

I would love to be proved wrong, but I'm afraid you are going to lose a lot of money!! Mr Dacer Sir!

Chris

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

Our wonderful government have just agreed to a ban on freshwater live AND deadbaits in the nominated waters in the Lake district.

The pole's getting slipperier. Maybe even "The Dacer" will be coming to London to march in September?!

Tim

The Rt Hon Alun Michael MP,DEFRA Minister for

Rural Affairs,has today(26.7.2002)reinforced a

pledge that the Government will not ban shooting

sports.The announcement was made at the CLA

Game Fair,at Broadlands,Hampshire,the worlds

largest countryside event......

Dont write off Mr Dacers money yet! ....miasma..

The thing is you guys that post on here and 'hunt' or stand for 'hunting', know that fishing will never be banned.

Banning livebait in the lake district? How the hell is that going to damage the ECONOMY? It aint fool.

Fishing is a money generating INDUSTRY. Governments love it... The modern world is money and power. You think governments will ban cars and planes because they damage the ozone layer? I think not.

I can understand fox huters etc. using fishing to lean on....it's a strong structure that will never be cracked.

Foxhunting etc. is no industry. It's just a pathetic old fashioned tradition and offers 'nothing'. That's why the majority want it banned.