Rod ring life

weirwulf

One of the advantages of building your own rods is that you get to choose the components. Unfortunately the price of the rod is often nothing to do with the value ;)

Or quality.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Blimey, I've got 50 year old rods with unlined rings without wear, that's disgraceful. Mono shouldn't wear any modern lined ring.

Ditto 50 year old rods without signs of wear, what are these companies doing?

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

I've never seen wear like that on rod rings...ever. It's very strange how it's happend to two rods of different makes n'all !

I'm more surprised at the shimano than the Greys. I would imagine both companies will re fit new rings free of charge (unless something untowards been goin on)....or they should do !

Not sure price cutting or whatever has anything to do with your problem, I have got some pretty cheap rods that have had a huge amount of use (with braid and nylon) There is no sign of any wear on any of them.

I have never used fluoro line, could there be a clue there?

It may also be worth noting that "The Tackle Box" say they have never had a ring wear problem reported to them...............

I also can't imagine Greys would ever consider fitting inferior rings to any of there rods, but maybe...just maybe...the ring makers have been cutting corners? Probably the same company supplying both Shimano and Greys (and several others) so they would have an awful lot to lose if they supplied dodgy stuff.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

I've just been checking my Greys Specimen Prodigy's. Their about 6-7 years old, look to me to have the same eye's and have caught hundreds of barbel and other fish on fluoro coated line (Krystonite). Yet the eyes look like new and don't have any marks or grooving at all.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

Got to be something going on here as if Greys had used a dodgy batch of rings we would surely have heard more complaints/cases of this.Ive not seen rings that bad since the days of chrome!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Could the tips have been exposed to something nasty that might soften the ring liner? These bubbles aren't something I'd expect to see.

an-rings.jpg

Years ago when the state of the art was unlined steel rings I expected to replace rings on a fairly regular basis but the grooves looked more like they'd been done with a high quality round file than the wear pattern I noticed on the photo.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President