Fluorocarbon Mainline

Christy

Hi guys,

I caught a beautiful 3lb barbel today on the river Wandle, however whilst I was engrossed in playing the feisty fish my recently purchased 1/4oz spool of 8lb Daiwa Sensor fell into the river! :o

So I need a new mainline for my feeder rod with an 8lb breaking strain, I thought that fluorocarbon would ideal given its relatively low stretch and low visibility, do you concur? Also which brand, if any, should I buy? B)

"Man is his own worst enemy"

-Marcus Tullius Cicero

Hi guys,

I caught a beautiful 3lb barbel today on the river Wandle, however whilst I was engrossed in playing the feisty fish my recently purchased 1/4oz spool of 8lb Daiwa Sensor fell into the river! :o

So I need a new mainline for my feeder rod with an 8lb breaking strain, I thought that fluorocarbon would ideal given its relatively low stretch and low visibility, do you concur? Also which brand, if any, should I buy? B)

Come on guys, help a fella out here! :P

-Marcus Tullius Cicero

Come on guys, help a fella out here! :P

Patience Grasshopper!

It may have escaped your notice in these sad times of all year fishing, but, for quite a few people, yesterday would have been a significant day in their season.

Personally, I only use fluoro for hooklengths.

If you thought the Daiwa Sensor was OK why not just replace it?

Why would I not reccomend flourocarbon? No reason whatsoever apart from cost. I use it for all my static river fishing purely because of the sinking factor and supposedly because fish can't see it. The best I have found for reel line is Fox Illusion and the best for hook length if you keep those seperate is Grand Max R

Patience Grasshopper!

It may have escaped your notice in these sad times of all year fishing, but, for quite a few people, yesterday would have been a significant day in their season.

Personally, I only use fluoro for hooklengths.

If you thought the Daiwa Sensor was OK why not just replace it?

I hear so much about it in the angling press that I really wanted to try it out, I'm a sucker for science I guess! :P

-Marcus Tullius Cicero

Sensor is quite stretchy so replacing it with flouro which isnt may and I say may cause you some problems as you get used to it.

I've used sensor for years with a flouro hook link, and see no reason to change. Flouro is expensive so why waste money?

Why would I not reccomend flourocarbon? No reason whatsoever apart from cost. I use it for all my static river fishing purely because of the sinking factor and supposedly because fish can't see it. The best I have found for reel line is Fox Illusion and the best for hook length if you keep those seperate is Grand Max R

Fox illusion is great for rigs and hooklengths but is very very expensive for such a small amount. The last i got cost me 12 quid for just 20m! Its good but for the cost i dont think i will bother again. I now use spiderwire 8lb flurocarbon for most of my hooklengths. Its around 19.99 for 200m!

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

Fox illusion is great for rigs and hook lengths but is very very expensive for such a small amount. The last i got cost me 12 quid for just 20m! Its good but for the cost i dont think i will bother again. I now use spiderwire 8lb flurocarbon for most of my hooklengths. Its around 19.99 for 200m!

I agree with ATS no real advantage in using it as a main line.I personally only use it for fly leaders these days (strangely what it was originally intended for!).

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I agree with ATS no real advantage in using it as a main line.I personally only use it for fly leaders these days (strangely what it was originally intended for!).

There are 2 types of Illusion the first of which is the hooklength material and I agree it is extremely expensive but the mainline is different. It is still a bit pricey but you can get a 300 metre spool for around £20 which should be plenty for 2 river reels if not 3. As I said in an earlier post there is a huge advantage in that it is heavy and does away for the need to use leaders or other materials to pin the line to the deck. My river catch rate improved very quickly after I began using it but if you do decide to have some always use a palomar knot otherwise you will curse breakages and blame the line. With a well tyed palomar even pulling for a break becomes difficult.

There are 2 types of Illusion the first of which is the hooklength material and I agree it is extremely expensive but the mainline is different. It is still a bit pricey but you can get a 300 metre spool for around £20 which should be plenty for 2 river reels if not 3. As I said in an earlier post there is a huge advantage in that it is heavy and does away for the need to use leaders or other materials to pin the line to the deck. My river catch rate improved very quickly after I began using it but if you do decide to have some always use a palomar knot otherwise you will curse breakages and blame the line. With a well tyed palomar even pulling for a break becomes difficult.

I cant say i have ever come across it in a mainline sized spool. Might take a look as it is good line in heavier BS. Only one problem i found and that is that it has a tendency to lock up and kink when tying a blood knot it if your not careful whereas other lines can be simply pulled hard and will slip over and make a great know with no kink. Care is the key with illusion i think.

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk