..and then two come along at once

AddictedToScopex

With not being able to get the day off work I am sat here twiddling thumbs in anticipation on getting out there this week end.

Its an early started thread I know but where did you go and how did you get on? Now remember I like a good read so dont be tight :D

Not quite the first day of the season as i couldnt make it down on the 16th but boy am i glad i waited for last night. We got to the river around 7pm, in the glorious sunshine, after work. Me and my brother had planned to have a trip the night before but couldnt make it. I sat quietly setting up and watching the trout jump across the way. I had a good feeling about the nights fishing. I finished setting rod number one up. A greys prodigy barbel using 10lb mainline to a 9lb hooklength. The bait of choice was a boilie i have had large success on. The swim is a secret :P . I Attached a small pva bag of free offerings and plopped it into a gully in the bed rock around a third of the way out. I was praying for my first barbel of the new season as I have not been fortunate enough to catch any more than 3 in my entire life and 2 of those were on a 'commercial'.

I lit a cigarette and contemplated which bait to put on the second rod which i planned to fish right up againt the side of the wide gully which was made up of a hard slate which extends across most of the river at the point we were fishing. I had seen it the day before and thought it looked to be a great barbel run. I continued to set rod number two up attached another small pva bag and in it went. Right on target.

dfacug.jpg

The scenery was amazing

A little time went by and I observed the weed gathering against my line and causing my tip rod to sway up and down in a mesmerising motion. The atmosphere could be cut by a knife as me and my brother waited eagerly for the first signs of fish near our line. The birds were singing and it seemed like the whole world had stopped still. No sign of a fish and the weed had gotten so bad on my left rod that I knew in one minute i would have to bring it in and re-cast. I leant over to pick up the rod and began to lift. Suddenly as if from nowhere the tip banged round in my hand. I was in!

I was so excited I could barely contain myself. I climbed down the bank onto the bed rock to steer whatever it was away from the rocks on either side. ten minutes later and I saw the fin. A stunning looking barbel. I guided him into the net. And took a deep breath. I proceeded to unhoook and weigh him to find he was a shade over 6lb. I was so happy.

2rg2phe.jpg

I held onto him in the water until he was fit enought to splash away and watched him glide back into the river. I had to sit down and just take stock of how good it felt to catch my first river fish of the season. This is why we do it. The peace and quiet. The thrill of the fight and the beauty of the fish.

I sat and patiently re-rigged my rod. No action from the right in quite some time so i began to make plans in my head to change the approach. The left rod went back in, the same way as before. I waited a little and then decided to bring the right rod in and get the mountain of weed off the line and apply a new approach. This time i was going to drop it just off the end of the near side gully. Speculate to accumulate was the thought behind it. I sat quietly while re-baiting the rig. Occasionally thinking my left rod had moved. I looked up quickly but nothing. Was the first to be the last? I finished my baiting and moved onto making up a small pva mesh. Wait a minute was that my baitrunner? No it couldnt have been. Yes it was there it goes again. I looked up to see my tip bouncing wildly. I was in again. I dropped my other rod in sheer eagerness to hook into whatever was on the other end of the line. I struck and sure enough i was in again. Again it seemed as though time stood still. My heart seemed to pound in slow motion. This felt better somehow. We tussled for all of 15 minutes as this one went first against the flow and then sharply with the flow stripping line from my reel as though it were a freight train. Do i tighten the clutch??? No I dare'nt. Take your time. Concentrate. There he is. He came over the net. Id got him. I followed the same procedure as last time. Wet the hands. Wet the grass. Remove the hook and quick picture. No time to waste. Again i took my time with him in the water until he was fit enough to move off strongly. I couldnt believe my luck. A lovely barbel at 7.5lbs! The most barbel I have ever caught in one session in my life.

x541fq.jpg

The time ticked by. Cigarette after cigarette. So peaceful and quiet. I went to talk to my brother to see how he was getting on. 2 barble the same as me. A 6 and a 5. Not a bad evening to say that we have never fished this stretch and only went down to see it two days prior to fishing. I began to walk back to my rods. Only 20 yards. My rod began to bounce. Thank god for baitrunners. I dashed to my rods. I disappeared into the grass. Damn uneven banks. I picked myself up and continued. I struck. I was in again. How can i be this lucky!!! This one felt very different. No big surges of power. A chub i thought? It was. A rather undramatic fight later and he was in the net. Again a very good looking fish which came in around 2.5lbs. What spectacular looking fish the greedy old chub are. That bait wasn't for you i thought but i was ecstatic never the less. 3 fish on the first time out and more than i have ever caught in one session! (big fish that is) Roach and dace aside.

5ma5qe.jpg

I decided i needed to take stock and sit and think for a while. All my fish had come on the left boilie rod but none on the pellet rod. It was time for a change. Both rods came in and both were rebaited for the final push before the next days work meant i had to leave to get to bed. I prayed to the river gods for a double figure. It is my only river goal this season. Please let it be. I sat for a while behind motionless rods. Nothing. 5 minutes went by and suddenly a dropback. I hit it and a 20 second fight insued. Gone. My line is slack. He'd shaken me. My heart sank but i re-baited and plopped it in again. Halfway between the two gully walls this time. I had a good feeling. The same happened on the left rod. Here we go i thought. Just my luck. Three nice catches and now i lose two. Just my luck. I was hoping this wouldnt carry on until hometime. I began to pack away none essentials as the light faded and the birds retreated to their night time hide aways. I could hear my brother doing the same. It was last chance time i felt. Over came my brother. Packed up and ready to go with just his rod left out in the final hope of a fish. We chatted for five minutes. The sun fell and the stars came out. Thats it. Time to pack up. I looked up from talking to my brother and my rod went round with a mighty whack. This is it. I grabbed the rod and and struck into what i took to be a snag. Nope its definetly moving. Oh my god its moving. Im in i shouted to my brother as he disappeared back to his rod. Wow this one felt so strong. It took yard after yard of line and seemed like it was just going for the horizon. Come on please i said in hushed tones. Please come back to me. Give me a yard. Anything. I have to land this fish. My heart was racing and i was constantly thinking of new ways to turn him round and steer him clear of the rough rocks. I've got to land him. Patience i reminded myself. Dont rush him. Take your time. He's coming. No hes not hes off again. My arm began to ache and burn. This was a serious warrior of a fish. To proud to give up and come to the bank. I took deep breath after deep breath as he lunged again and again.

I had my gap. 15 minutes later i had my gap. I reeled in yard after yard. He was coming in. The net went out and the fish slid in. He looked immense. I struggled back up the wet bank. My brother took my rod to help me. Its enormous i thought. Again and again it went through my head. This is my biggest yet i just know it. We took the hook out and weighed him. 11lbs!!! I couldnt believe it. 11lbs!!! I had never been happier. Then came the disappointing realisation. I had to take the weight of the net off. It wasnt the double i had been thinking about all year. 9.7lbs! Joy went to despair. I had come so close. The most spectacular fish i have ever caught. Not the biggest but by far my most proud fishing achievement.

aepgfk.jpg

No light left and both rods out of the water it was time to go. We trudged across the moonlit fields. I couldnt help but think what could have been. We discussed the nights events on the way back to the car. What a night. A new stretch of river. A new tactic. 7 fish between us and big smiles on our faces. What a night. Cant wait for saturday. I will find you Mr double. Of that i am sure.

Edited by AddictedToScopex

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well done, what a cracking fish - and not being quite a double doesn't change that!

Thank you steve. I am still made up today. I've been in the best mood ever since despite missing out by such a small amount. I can't wait for tomorrow. If only we didnt have to work to fund our fishing :D .

Yes, well done, a great little session and it's the fight and surroundings that count not the weight! :)

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Yes, well done, a great little session and it's the fight and surroundings that count not the weight! :)

It sure is. It's a jaw droppingly beautiful stretch and that thing sure did fight!

Great write-up - and great session! At least you still have your target to keep you motivated :)

Yes definetly. I know he's in there somewhere just waiting to make me the happiest angler in the world.

Superb fish!! Sounds like the kind of session I dream of!... Not made it to the river yet and at a wedding this weekend, so looks like next week for me... I'm yet to catch a Barbel but if I get anything close to yours I'd be super happy!

Good work!!!

Cheers,

Stooby....

Thanks stooby. Once you catch your first barbel it will be all you think about for quite a long time if your like me :D . Good look in catching one this season. You will love the fight they give you. :thumbs:

Thanks stooby. Once you catch your first barbel it will be all you think about for quite a long time if your like me :D

Nice one ATS. That bigger barbel looks in good nick for the time of year, but i would still fancy it to be a low double later in the year. :thumbs:

It's taken about 25 years for me to get on top of my barbelitis and just looking at your pic's tells me Im not cured yet. :)

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep