Coarse Fishing.

HERUTILUS

Greetings Ya'all

I've noticed when reading magazines such as IYCF that 'clipping-up' the line is all the fashion, this to ensure that one casts-out to the same location each time?

The magazine illustrations are self-explanatory, but I have a question or two regarding the principles of 'clipping up'.

1] Not having tried CU as yet, does one unclip when rewinding [surely not?] or does the mechanism of the average fixed-spool reel allow one to rewind leaving the line clipped?

2] When one is 'clipped-up' & then casts-out; using, say, a fixed-spool reel loaded with 4lb line is there not a possibility that the line could break when the float, shot etc. reaches the 'end of its tether/range' so to speak? Let us assume that one has the line clipped for a range of 25yds, what is likely to happen when circa 25 yards of line goes out & is then suddenly restrained due to the fact that its clipped? I assume that the terminal tackle drops into the water without breaking anything & that's all there is to it?

Before signing off I say hello to my old mate Alan Roe, I hope all goes well?

Regards,

Herutilus

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You need to take the line out of the clip when fishing or you'll prevent a fish taking line if it needs to.

The reel works as normal with the line in the clip, to recast clip up and wind in as normal.

There is the possibility of crack offs when clipped up but generally it's not a problem as long as you don't overcast, the rig should be dropping into the water when you hit the clip so most of the force of the cast should have gone.

Hi Heritulas

When legering clipping up can be very important depending on venue. If you are casting 10 to 15 yards you should be able to do that accurately without clipping up but beyond that you cannot easily judge the distance.

The line clip is there to allow you to set your distance and accurately cast too it. Yes you leave it permanently clipped otherwise you will never get too the same spot again. If you are fishing a venue with lots of carp and regularly getting hit with them then its not sensible to clip up.

When legering do not use line of less than 8lb or better still 10lb mainline. If you want to cast distances you will break off on 4lb line. You should still use a lighter hooklength to aid presentation and to break if you do hit something you cannot control. I use 2 rods when fishing large stillwaters and often set up my reel clips on the bank. I walk them out and set them the same distance. I now use a spod too feed with a seperate rod which I set up the same. I hasten to add that I am fishing for bream or roach.

When you clip up on a large water you will still end up with several reel turns on the spool after tightening line so still have room to play and possibly release clip if need be.

With float fishing I presume you mean waggler fishing. With this you cannot clip up as you need to cast beyond fishing zone and wind in to sink line. There is a line marker you can use that wears off but allows you to overcast and wind in to same spot.

You can also add a bit of pole elastic to your line at the required distance. This allows a good marker and is what carp anglers use. Its no good for small wagglers but in all honesty most anglers struggle with tiny wagglers when they might just aswell get a proper one on. For 15 to 20 yard distance I will use a 6 8 or even 10gram waggler. If the wind gets up I use bigger. Properly shotted they are just as sensitive and will allow casting with a stop knot and pole elastic on line. best regards

john

Good advice, though I disagree with the idea that legering necessarily needs heavy line - fishing a small feeder or straight bomb on a light quivertip rod for roach, skimmers, etc does not need 8 or 10lb line

Depends what you are fishing for :) I know guys who fish matches and leave the line clipped up all thro' the match. They have there hands on the rod, so are right "on the ball" and are fishing for relatively small fish with relatively heavy tackle. Hit and Hold.

On the other hand, I know guys who cast out, find the mark, tie in a piece of line as a marker, and then clip up for the cast. After casting out, they unclip the line. They are fishing for big/bigger fish.

When they retrieve the line without a bite, they clip up before winding in. If they land a fish, then they cast out to one side, wind up to the marker knot, clip up, bait up and recast.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Good advice, though I disagree with the idea that legering necessarily needs heavy line - fishing a small feeder or straight bomb on a light quivertip rod for roach, skimmers, etc does not need 8 or 10lb line

Hi steve

I regularly use very light line and rods for quiver tipping including wands and very light bomb rods and agree lgiht main line is fine.

But a I am not casting distances and am fishing for dace and roach.

Legering from wands to method feeder rods invloves so many different skills that anyone with "A" feeder rod is missing out.

regards

john

Depends what you are fishing for :) I know guys who fish matches and leave the line clipped up all thro' the match. They have there hands on the rod, so are right "on the ball" and are fishing for relatively small fish with relatively heavy tackle. Hit and Hold.

On the other hand, I know guys who cast out, find the mark, tie in a piece of line as a marker, and then clip up for the cast. After casting out, they unclip the line. They are fishing for big/bigger fish.

When they retrieve the line without a bite, they clip up before winding in. If they land a fish, then they cast out to one side, wind up to the marker knot, clip up, bait up and recast.

Den

Good answer from Den. I always mark the line with a little bit of pole elastic tied into the line (4-turn water knot) and unclip it once I've cast. To recast I cast away from my baited spot, clip up again, and then take the line out of the clip again. That way I don't lose any rods ;)

On some waters being a bit anal about accuracy really does make all the difference.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Must admit, John, my Silstar match picker has not seen much use in recent years, but I definitely agree with you. We used to fish swingtips and quivertips a lot of the time with light lines and at a fair distance - I wonder if there's much of that still goes on on the match fishing scene?

On the subject of "clipping up", it seems to me that all of the line clips I've ever seen are designed to keep the line on the reel in transit, not for fixing casting distance. Are there any reels with a purpose designed clip? Ideally, it would avoid causing line damage and release if pulled hard enough with a fish on.

On the subject of "clipping up", it seems to me that all of the line clips I've ever seen are designed to keep the line on the reel in transit, not for fixing casting distance. Are there any reels with a purpose designed clip? Ideally, it would avoid causing line damage and release if pulled hard enough with a fish on.

Hello Steve, :)

Thank you ALLl for the advice, much appreciated it is. And 'thank you' Steve for clearing up something I've been unsure about for some time, I'm like you, I was of the opinion that the 'little clip' on the side of fixed spool reel was for taking the 'loaded-line end', this to stop it making a nuisance of itself when packed away.

Now - Getting off the topic a wee bit, but not too much. Does anyone know who would supply a top-two for a Brownng 'Black Magic III' put-in pole? Any assistance re. this particular question would be gratefully appreciated. :mellow:

Regards, Herutilus. ;)