Best sub £100 barbel rod

Christy

Following my problems with the Greys rod rings I made an emergency purchse of a Fox Warrior XT. Having had a few battles in the past couple of weeks I have used it I am pleased with my purchase. This rod came from flea bay and was delivered for less than £80. (cheaper than the 2 "lifetime warranty" replacement sections from Greys)

I'm surprised you went for a Fox Warrior Weirwulf, as my fox warrior carp rods have the same Fuji eyes as my Grey's rods which are the ones you had trouble with. Does your new Fox Warrior rod not have the same Fuji eyes?

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not surprised that the Greys rods (all ranges) are having trouble with the eyes as I've had it on good authority (no names) that Greys don't use Fuji's anymore as they're extremely hard to get hold of in all size ranges that a rod demands so they're (allegedly) using a different make and manufacturer for their eyes

I'm not surprised that the Greys rods (all ranges) are having trouble with the eyes as I've had it on good authority (no names) that Greys don't use Fuji's anymore as they're extremely hard to get hold of in all size ranges that a rod demands so they're (allegedly) using a different make and manufacturer for their eyes

Their 2010 catalogue still has them down as using SIC eyes. It would be very naughty if they weren't using them and they weren't SIC's on Weirwulf's rod which is at least two season's old going off his post's about it.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

The drennan series 7 range would be fine for a mixture of species including barbel. I'd go for the 1.25lb test myself but they come in 1.5lb test also so you takes your pick. You can pick them up brand new for around 80/90 nicker.

Some of the older carp rods you see on ebay are brilliant for barbel fishing but they don't have the quiver section you seem to want.

They can't take 12lb mainline. :angry:

"Man is his own worst enemy"

-Marcus Tullius Cicero

climax does some good deals sometimes ,these dean macey rods look like fitting your requirements ,currently sold out but others might have the same rods ,another name too watch out for .

http://climaxtackle.com/nash/dean_macey_sp...tri_tip_rod.htm

Edited by chavender

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

climax does some good deals sometimes ,these dean macey rods look like fitting your requirements ,currently sold out but others might have the same rods ,another name too watch out for .

http://climaxtackle.com/nash/dean_macey_sp...tri_tip_rod.htm

It looks identical to a drennan 7 series rod, how weird! :o

"Man is his own worst enemy"

-Marcus Tullius Cicero

They can't take 12lb mainline. :angry:

I'm not sure if the 1.5 test is rated up to 12lb or not but it doesn't matter if it is or not. I've used 12lb with my 1.25 test rods. The line ratings are just a general guide you can use whatever you like. Don't forget 12lb nash bullet for example only snaps at 18 1/2lb so not quite 12lb breaking strain really. You know how much pressure to put on your rod so you just don't overdo it, that's what your clutch is for.

I'm surprised you went for a Fox Warrior Weirwulf, as my fox warrior carp rods have the same Fuji eyes as my Grey's rods which are the ones you had trouble with. Does your new Fox Warrior rod not have the same Fuji eyes?

Sure thing lutra. I just wanted a really quick replacement for a rod that I hadn't then sourced a replacement top ring for. The thing is also that despite having such a messy tip ring there was no evidence of the line suffering at the end of the last season but you simply can't ignore those things can you if you take your specimens as seriously as I do.

Having spoken to other anglers who use the same main venue as me it would seem I am not the only one who has had the problem and I am going to put it down to the severe amount of silt particles in the water acting as a rubbing compound especially when the level rises. The river is coloured even now! I guess that's why some of us call the Medway the mudway :P

On the Wychwoods - are we talking about the Rogues? I see they also have a Maximiser twin-tip with two x 1.75 + 2lb tip sections. Looks nice.

Anyone know if it's just a Rogue with an extra tip or a completely different rod?

Their 2010 catalogue still has them down as using SIC eyes. It would be very naughty if they weren't using them and they weren't SIC's on Weirwulf's rod which is at least two season's old going off his post's about it.

The tip ring that weirwulf had in his photo on the other thread is not a fuji sic. it looks nothing like one.

http://www.guidesnblanks.com/product.php?product_id=603

In the catalogue it just says SIC (silicone carbide)

Definitely not Fuji

This looks more like it

http://www.guidesnblanks.com/product.php?product_id=173

Note the price difference and remember, they are buying in bulk, 5p each?

The more normal (and cheaper) aluminium oxide ring have a hardness of 1200-1400 vickers. These are what are on almost all rods and are plenty hard enough for all normal useage.

The SIC rings have a hardness of 2200 - 2400 vickers and should never show signs of wear regardless of line or silt in the water.

That's the problem with cheap chinese rods.

I know it doesn't say cheap chinese rod on the label but that's what they are.

Edited by Sportsman

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/