Wife's First Alaska Caribou

kcedar

As I recall from the bear shooting post (I was rather anti that one) and my subsequent investigations, It is quite interesting to see the rules that north America/Canada have regarding game, probably stricter than 'domestic food' animals!

Vagabond is quite right, there are very strict laws regarding seasons, species, sex and, after you've shot it, how you dispose opf the carcase/entrails/skin etc.

I have no aversion to shooting game for food, or, catching it with a rod and line. I do however feel (don't really know why) that the American way of filming everything and posting it as a "look what I just shot/caught" is likely to wind up a lot of folks in this country.

I certainly wouldn't post pictures of the 110/120 stone of pollack that five of us caught on a wrecking trip on Monday B)

Know what you mean, I have a thing about some British anglers obsession with photographing and weighing every fish they catch ;)

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to know if they are taken back and eaten.

In Alaska and, I believe, some other American states you are legally obligated to take the meat from animals you shoot while it is still in an edible condition. If a Ranger finds you in possession of meat that cannot be eaten then you will be prosecuted. I don't know about caribou but to hunt some animals you get a licence to shoot one per season and if you shoot a large moose you know that you are going to have your work cut out carrying out all of the meat. There is one very good idea practiced in Alaska in the event of edible animals killed on the road. A local charity is called and someone butchers the animal at the side of the road and the meat is given to the needy. I know one thing, they can give me a bit of moose steak any time they like - it is delicious. If any of you get the opportunity to try some, do not allow it to be marinated, the flavour of the meat is not as gamy as some say and it is a shame to kill that flavour.

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.

Unless I missed something, I didn't see anything saying whether the caribou was killed for food, a trophy, or both. In which case the 'cruelty to farmed animals' debate is irrelevant.

The link that Emma posted is an out and out vegi' site, and from watching a few of the videos on there, I'm pretty sure that banning angling would be among their targets.

Yes humans are 'cruel', but what's 'cruel' to one person, might not be to another.

The thing I like about chesters posts, is that among his seemingly contrary ramblings, is enough truth to get the message across, a lot of people don't like the message so take exception to his posts.

We are all hypocrites, we have a growing world population problem, but what do we do? We make sure that babies are born to those that nature denies. We prolong life past it's natural 'sell by' date. We (as chesters said), change the environment to suit us and our needs/desires. I'm not knocking this, it's just the way things are.

We are all guilty of hypocrisy, even those that only eat food from selected sources. Not everyone is in a position to be so selective in their choice of food, for many different reasons.

Getting back to the original post. The shooting of an animal just for a trophy is not a thing I agree with, (which makes me and most on here hypocrites, because we catch fish for our own pleasure). The guy who posted it probably thought that angling/field sport sites were the same around the world, and expected the same response as in the States, (he will know better next time).

John.

contrary because i like to look at both sides of the coin in my posts if possible, the problem comes when people are blinkered to one side only and when you mention both sides you can get picked on twice as much :D

i like cheap food (if thats possible today) i know getting it harms something down the line just as existing only on bread does ,one kills directly specific animals the other kill far more different "animals" indirectly ,

we'd all love to eat "wild" animals but theres very few here unlike america ,they or at least the ground they stand on is owned by someone .

we saw the result of eating only wild animals they disappeared ,rabbits and pigeons are probably the commonest "wild" animals but cartridges cost more than the birds and rabbits for some reason are imported (not seen one on a supermarket shelf for years) from china with no animal rights legislation at all

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

The caribou we all shot were all harvested with the meat in mind. In fact, in Alaska, it is required that all salvageable meat be removed from an animal before the antlers or hide can be removed from the field.

With our two caribou we ended up with about 140 lbs of burger, sausage and steaks. Caribou is excellant table fare. We will certainly have full stomachs as we weather the harsh winter here in our igloos.

The caribou we all shot were all harvested with the meat in mind. In fact, in Alaska, it is required that all salvageable meat be removed from an animal before the antlers or hide can be removed from the field.

With our two caribou we ended up with about 140 lbs of burger, sausage and steaks. Caribou is excellant table fare. We will certainly have full stomachs as we weather the harsh winter here in our igloos.

Good luck to you.

Enjoy ;)

Your country, your culture, your wildlife. You do what the hell you want with it.

Best wishes from southern Spain. :)

we used to dream of having an igloo

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

we used to dream of having an igloo

Dreams? Dreams? We used to dream of having dreams!

Just fish, veg and the occasional deer here :P

In reality though, it's a huge difference between the wilds of the Americas and a tiny island such as ours. Even with the supermarket mindset so prevalent in todays 'western society'it must be easier to wander off to shoot something to eat than it is here.

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Good luck to you.

Enjoy ;)

Yup agree with that. Veggies won't though. :D

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..