My 'New' Car

Elton

trouble is Elton can you really go out in it without looking like a jerk or take it to a track and thrash it worthless ;):D

i cant see it even getting through an MOT with that air duct not spoiling your field of vision :D

everyone i ever err tinkered with as a lad is dead :lol: or in prison for carrying on tinkering

it must be nice knowing someone you can use ,the only long term mates i have one is a useless junky on methadone and the other one who was quite useful is an alcoholic with no attention span and shaky hands

my mrs though could hold the odd brake pipe as it was made and is great passing tools sometimes even the right one

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

LOL I've got a few good mates, and all of us help each other out when we can. I'm a lucky guy.

Been through plenty of M.O.T.'s with an air scoop on it. Don't see why it shouldn't now. That's tiny - you should see some of the big superchargers a lot of these cars run :D

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

OI i thought you were trying on those trunks your mum knitted for you and sent over for your holiday ,dont leave it to the last minute incase they look like they have been worn by a far "bigger" bloke and need taking in :D youl look a right dingo on bondi looking at your trunks by your feet full of sand and discarded machoness ,youl have the lifeguards insisting on giving mouth to mouth even when your half way home

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Sound is loved by some but my Rolls Royce is very quiet and it out accelerates most cars and will top 140 full song and cruise all day at 120 and its very old 1996 series III Silver Spirit.

EDIT:

For me I love the sound of a tuned car at full song or even accelerating hard, yet I hate the sound of music while I am driving and never play music nor even listen to the radio when driving. Yet for many the opposite is true.

END EDIT:

Edited by watatoad

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

Ha! I'll try them on later. I'm still in Frankie & Benny's - I'll get arrested if I do it here :D

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

you should be arrested just being in Frankie & Benny's ,hopefully the bedroom doors shut :D

lesson one Streuth! ,cobber and tinny ,thats all the vocabulary of OZ worth memorising

but if you get lucky OZ for "foreplay" is "right get ready Sheila here it comes"

Edited by chesters1

Rod - I know what you mean. When I got my Evo, I put on a 4" de-catted exhaust and removed the face off the stereo, and it has never been back on :D

my stereo's got something like a credit card in it ,wont buy anything though ,i might connect the aerial to it one day

Back pressure or in this case the only possible lack of it, is why I said it needs to be tuned on a rolling road with the engine hooked up. Guess you missed that bit.

No I didn't miss it, just an expensive way of working out exhaust pipe lengths. It's easier to use a basic formula based on your power requirements to design and make the system first. If calculated accurately only minor changes will be required and those will more than likely be to carb tuning which can be done on a rolling road as a final adjustment.

En-durability is not the case here. Noise is the key here with 8 straight through copper pipes I would expect Elton to be locked up and the key's thrown away after just one trip to his nearest large town...hehehe

But back to your comments the engine need to be first balanced then tuned to each and every other component first, then re-tuned to cope with the changing load when it is pushing chassis and body work and Elton along.

So you need to do the maths with all the tech details of each and every component once they are lightened, balanced and polished before even buying a nut or bolt, the same goes for the dynamics of the brakes, steering and suspension then can come the drag coefficients of the rolling chassis and bodywork.

I thought Elton just wanted an exhaust system? The car's already built.

Expansion boxes are a complete waste of time on anything except a two stroke, they just make a little rattle but do nothing to assist the speedy removal of exhaust gases, in point of fact they will slow a fast car.

EDIT:

Forget trumpets on intake manifolds waste of time design a new manifold based on gas movement then make it or get it made, it's easier than most think. Who cares about an M.O.T.

Come on Watatoad, at least do a bit of basic research if you are going to make ridiculous sweeping statements like that. If you read the thread you'll find that Elton's got manifolds that are perfectly suitable....indeed designed for high performance use on his engine... Adjustment of intake tube length is a seriously good way of increasing mixture flow/speed into the engine.........And to expansion boxes? even if Elton didn't want to use the car on the road he'd look a right plonker if it turned out that the optimum header length was longer than the car. Why do you think expansion boxes are used? Furthermore they can be used as devices to alter the flexibility of the power curve and fine tuning can put the power precisely where you want it...and, use it as a silenced version for road use without any power loss if done properly......You tinkerers make work for engineers I suppose! :rolleyes:

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

No I didn't miss it, just an expensive way of working out exhaust pipe lengths. It's easier to use a basic formula based on your power requirements to design and make the system first. If calculated accurately only minor changes will be required and those will more than likely be to carb tuning which can be done on a rolling road as a final adjustment.

REPLY:

The car is already built

I thought Elton just wanted an exhaust system? The car's already built.

REPLY:

That's what I just said

Come on Watatoad, at least do a bit of basic research if you are going to make ridiculous sweeping statements like that. If you read the thread you'll find that Elton's got manifolds that are perfectly suitable....indeed designed for high performance use on his engine... Adjustment of intake tube length is a seriously good way of increasing mixture flow/speed into the engine.........And to expansion boxes? even if Elton didn't want to use the car on the road he'd look a right plonker if it turned out that the optimum header length was longer than the car. Why do you think expansion boxes are used? Furthermore they can be used as devices to alter the flexibility of the power curve and fine tuning can put the power precisely where you want it...and, use it as a silenced version for road use without any power loss if done properly......You tinkerers make work for engineers I suppose! :rolleyes:

Yes manifolds that are suitable designed and probably made by some self opinionated engineer for an average car of a particular type with particular attributes and tuning, some engineers make me weep they seem to loose the most basic point in that every single car is slightly different as is the tuned version of any particular car which is why it needs to be done when the car is finished on a rolling road.

The theory and mathematics of all aspects of car design are an entirely different thing from the practicality or running and using that car...Perhaps you would like me to list the countless engineering design cock up in automobile design and construction that have killed and maimed numerous people and caused the manufacturer's to be forced to recall yet another poorly engineer designed car.

QUOTE Worms:

"even if Elton didn't want to use the car on the road he'd look a right plonker if it turned out that the optimum header length was longer than the car."

END QUOTE:

Reply rubbish optimum header length longer than the car, perhaps it is you who does not understand fully the subject you are purporting to be expert on - gas flow, turbulence, minute difference in diameter, reshaping of the induction tract.

Why is it some people with a little education see themselves so superior that they cannot take even the smallest difference of opinion, idea or comment outside their comfort box, without resorting to personal attacks.

To QUOTE A PREVIOUS POST OF WORMS:

"Major problems with copper as an exhaust pipe material! Corrosive exhaust gases would eat through it in no time, not very good at dissipating heat, the thermal expansion differences between ali head, pipe and brackets would make for leaks, silver solder for fixing would be expensive, temperatures reached would cause constant annealing and work hardening and, along with vibration, cause ultimate failure and, finally, the cost of finding a thick enough walled tube for making headers for a V8 would probably cost more than the car cost with current Cu prices!

Whatever design you go for I'd go for stainless or MS, perhaps stainless headers to start then when you've got an MS box made that gives you the performance you require then have it made in SS.

Box design depends on cam profiles and exhaust gas speed and pipe length are critical to where you want the power. Loud doesn't necessarily mean fast! An expansion box is almost always necessary on a compromise (road use) vehicle and usually quite handy for the MOT cool.gif . Intake tract lengths can be modded by using trumpets to alter airflow speed over the jets to balance for the zorst pipe lengths. Both have to be married to cam timing/valve overlap periods to give a happy compromise between performance where you want it and fuel consumption.

Sounds complicated ...because it is. You need to balance back pressure in the exhaust with the valve timing so that the previous 'slug' of exhaust gas aids in sucking the next etc. etc. Short of having 8 straight through pipes of precisely the right length (which won't get you through the MOT) a compromise using a megaphone or Brooklands 'can' style expansion box will probably be required.......then you'll have to compromise again by installing baffles to get your ticket rolleyes.gif

END QUOTE:

Roughly what I have been saying but put differently the important words and ones many Scientists and some Engineers appear to love, and use as an essential and regular cop out - is almost always necessary on a compromise

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God