aldi's / netto tackle time again !

chavender

I'm making no mistake whatsoever, but can't help be of the opinion that customers cannot be exploited as they chose what products to buy and where to buy them, whereas workers in the poorer countries of the world have no choice but to make cheap rod holdalls, jeans and trainers for us fat affluent westerners.

Exploitation of workers isn't the preserve of discount brands, but if you pay 9.99 for a bag, there's no getting away from the fact that's been made in South East Asia by someone who earns in a year less than I do in a lunchtime.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bag (£6.99) has been getting some good reviews on other angling forums with some well known anglers comparing it to more expensive (circa £35) roving bags made by Fox, Chub, etc. and its coming off very well in the comparisons.

unfortunately I don't have an Aldi near to me.

Aldi Fishing Bag

I realise that there must be a bit of exploitation to be able to sell them that cheap but I think I ought to get one for fathers day if I can find an Aldi, Ill make a £5 donation to a charity against exploitation if I see one to make me feel better. :)

Talking of exploitation; my wife went on a Kenyan safari last summer and she said they were tipping the natives and didn't realise that one of her tips was a months wage for them; and they didn't seem to be going hungry although they had footwear on made out of bicycle tyres.

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

The rod bags are great and the tackle bag is really good as well. Its a shame about the barbed hooks though and the washing line that the kids are gonna put on them.

As for exploitation, much bigger and well recognised companies are exposed as using these sweatshops, even chains like Gap have been accused in the press and TV. Considering how much more they charge for their clothes compared to places like Matalan, etc shouldnt they know better?

Another way I like at it is: If there were no sweatshops where they earn a pittance (or at least a pittance compared to us) then what would they be doing instead? How would they earn their money? How do they feed their children?

Nothing to do with fishing obviously! :unsure:

Having had my dad phone me up at work today to rave about how good his new Aldi fishing bag is, I popped in and picked one up for myself.

It's not really ideal as a lure bag but for my occasional bait fishing forays, it's just the job. It has enough space for gear, bait and a snack and there's enough seperate compartments to let me keep the phone/camera clear of the mud.

well done Aldi.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

They exploit underpaid workers :)

Then so do 99% of ALL tackle manufacturers (Read BUYERS) in the world. The tackle like MOSt tackle we buy in the UK is from China and India. Only Aldi and Netto do NOT add the 1 to 2 thousand percent markup on!!!

I too used to "Exploit" the workers in China and India and I can assure you if you EVER saw the prices they charge you would NOT buy mainstream tackle again!!

Take Roger who runs Used Tackle amongst other brands. He buys his gear where everyone else does and sells it at a profit BUT at a MUCH lower price than mainstream companies. Response from them?? They hate him with a passion and rubbish his tackle at EVERY opportunity! BUT it is the same stuff, just a HELL of a lot cheaper!

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

Guest Rabbit

unfortunately I don't have an Aldi near to me.

There is one in Stevenage, is that far from you?

Edited by Rabbit