Snakes!

Fours

Up until a few years ago, I would witness at least 2 snakes per season scrolling across the river/lake I was fishing.

Anyone encountered one lately?And no, I don't mean Eels!

Fascinating creatures, even if they did make me tuck my trousers into my boots and give an involuntary shiver!

In life we all have an unspeakable secret, an irreversible regret, an unreachable dream and an unforgettable love.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Up until a few years ago, I would witness at least 2 snakes per season scrolling across the river/lake I was fishing.

Anyone encountered one lately?And no, I don't mean Eels!

Fascinating creatures, even if they did make me tuck my trousers into my boots and give an involuntary shiver!

Really? I didnt know there were snakes in britain that went across water!! Never seen this but would love to, do you know what type they were?

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

Really? I didnt know there were snakes in britain that went across water!! Never seen this but would love to, do you know what type they were?

As far as I know (and I stand to be corrected!), all snakes can 'swim'.I presume they were grass snakes but, heh, I'm no David Attenborough!Honestly, it was a faily 'regular' occurrence.Mainly on rivers as I remember.

In life we all have an unspeakable secret, an irreversible regret, an unreachable dream and an unforgettable love.

while trotting on my local river blythe about 6 months ago i came across a small grass snake. first snake i have seen in britain. :)

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and i'm not sure about the universe". (Albert Einstein)

"You don't lead by hitting people over the head, thats assault, not leadership". (Dwight D. Eisenhower)

"Some people claim that marriage interferes with romance. Theres no doubt about it. Anytime you have a romance, your wife is bound to interfere". (Groucho marx)

As far as I know (and I stand to be corrected!), all snakes can 'swim'.I presume they were grass snakes but, heh, I'm no David Attenborough!Honestly, it was a faily 'regular' occurrence.Mainly on rivers as I remember.

well you learn something new every day!! Personally have never seen this but i think its really interesting, will have to start river fishing more often because i would love to see it!

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

Grass snakes are regular swimmers - see them quite often on lakes I fish - at least a couple of times a season - they predate almost exclusively on amphibians so its no surprise to see them near/on water!

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

I have witnessed this quite a few times over the years. On at least two occasions that I can recall, I have been cooling off in the Gt Ouse above Bedford (escaping the heat of the midsummer sun) standing in water up to my chin and been fortunate enough to have, on both occasions, an adult grass snake about a metre long, swim past me only a few feet from my face.

It's really weird when you lower yourself further into the water, until both you and snake are on equal eye level. Quite an experience!

I also had a grass snake for company in June this year whils bivvied up at my local lake.

Yep, quite right. All three British native snakes can swim and water is an essential requirement for them. They need to drink on a regular basis and, when damp it helps them to slough their skin.

The grass snake is a 'water' snake and a member of a widespread family of 'Natricine' snakes that prey predominantly on amphibians as Chris says but also on fish, mammals and birds. I made the first official record (recorded) of a grass snake consuming carrion...it regurgitated a fly-blown common shrew after capture! Largest recorded specimen in the UK was I believe 6'3" although a 4 footer is generally accepted as being a big one.

As a matter of interest, the adder or viper feeds largely on small mammals but also on ground-nesting bird chicks and occasionally other reptiles, particularly common lizards and slow-worms. The Smooth snake feeds mainly on other reptiles and will even take smaller adders but also takes small mammals and insects.

The adder is the only venomous snake (and excrutiatingly painful!), the smooth snake is non-venomous. Most publications claim that it is a constrictor however I have only ever witnessed them restraining their prey with coils and not actually killing it prior to swallowing! The grass snake is also non-venomous but, does have a saliva that has a mildly toxic effect on amphibians!

The smooth snake by the way, is so named as it does not have the keeled scales of the adder and grass snake.

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

I sometimes see grass snakes swimming across the Sussex Ouse. My son and I recently found a large one under a sheet of corrugated metal at the end of the garden. Of course we put it in the laundry basket, which didn't it didn't seem to like much.

Video here:

It looks big but compare it to this snake which is huge... worth a look even if it isn't a fishy subject... :)

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days without taking a fish. (Hemingway - The old man and the sea)

Great vids Smt/MC. Ive never seen a Sea Lamprey in the flesh yet alone ones spawning.Also nice seeing the "Dad and Lad" bit its the sort of thing that makes great memories for kids as well as giving then an interest in nature.

Quite often see grass snakes on the pits down here in Kent but only small.

Worms,I never knew about Smooth Snakes so thanks for that.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!