Keeping Warm!

luckydenvermint

Sat in an icy wind today and whilst I did keep my core pretty warm with thermals etc my hands and feet were freezing after a few hours in the shade.

So just wondering mainly how other AN forum members plan to keep themselves warm this winter?

Feet I presume some kind of padded wellies? my standard ones with a couple of pairs of socks failed miserably today!

And is there a practical option for keeping the hands warm whilst still maintaining dexterity?

Finally does anyone else use the full one piece body suits or do people think when they see others wearing these they look a bit of a tool? :rolleyes:

Finally does anyone else use the full one piece body suits or do people think when they see others wearing these they look a bit of a tool? :rolleyes:

Only get one of those if it has a flap on the arse part like the cowboys used to have :mellow:

In my opinion you'll probably look like a tool though :lol:

Just stick to some decent clothing...TFGear seem to have some good clothing at reasonable'ish prices. I have several of their items and they all seem to be good, up to now that is.

Sat in an icy wind today and whilst I did keep my core pretty warm with thermals etc my hands and feet were freezing after a few hours in the shade.

So just wondering mainly how other AN forum members plan to keep themselves warm this winter?

Feet I presume some kind of padded wellies? my standard ones with a couple of pairs of socks failed miserably today!

And is there a practical option for keeping the hands warm whilst still maintaining dexterity?

thermal leggings, wooly army issue socks, wellies, padded jacket, wooly hat. Cant wear gloves as its too hard to tie hooks and things. That is in the dead of winter, when its at its coldest and im ledgering so dont get any heat from walking around. I also wear several shirts haha. What do you wear?

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

Plenty of layers...thermal leggings are good, but don't discard women's tights! A couple of pairs of these cost next to nothing and do the job beautifully...not quite so bulky as leggings, but provide good insulation. You may look a right tit if you need any emergency treatment on the bank though, so I'd suggest steering clear of "American Tan"....it's so last year....!

Ditch the wellies and get some decent walking/hiking boots with good insulation, and allow room for a couple of pairs of wool/cotton socks...natural fibres are best...and try and keep your feet off the cold ground...even if it's only standing or placing your feet on your unhoooking mat, it's still giving you a bit of insulation. Wellies are good in the wet, but don't provide much protection against the cold.

Hands? I wear pure wool fingerless mittens inside fishing gloves with flip top fingers...I also carry some reusable handwarmers...good for about 6 hours...don't exactly keep you toasty, but they do keep the chill off and they're available very cheaply from various sources. You do have to remember to charge them up in the microwave before you go, but they provide enough warmth for most fishing sessions. The one-trip ones that you just "click" to activate are neither use nor ornament in my experience...last for about 30 mins then you're left to shiver...

Don't forget food and hot drinks. Take a flask with hot water, teabags and some cup-a-soups or (heaven forfend....) pot noodles...if you're warm on the inside you stand a better chance of staying warm on the outside.

When it gets so that you can't feel your fingers/toes. that's a sure sign that it's time to give it up and go home! It's supposed to be fun, not an endurance survival test!

Janet

I seem to have good circulation - never ware, or feel the need to ware, gloves. I do pay a lot of attention on keeping the rest of me warm - thermal hat and a muffler are essential pieces of kit - also pays to eat little and often - keep the furnace stoked so to speak!

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

I'll be wearing,

These;

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...e=STRK:MEWNX:IT

This (tool alert);

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/0740906.htm

A couple of these;

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Peacock-Standard-Han...=item4cedf53610

And this;

http://www.barbour.co.uk/index.cfm?fuseact...7&RangeID=1

Only been using the hat for one season, I've never really signed on to the keeping head warm approach but I wish I had, it makes a huge difference. Keeping my hands warm whilst trotting is a problem, I've tried the gloves with folding fingertips but I find that the line gets caught on the velcro. I end up alternating between 15 minutes trotting and 15 minutes hand warming. The one piece suit will fit beneath my chest waders so it's ideal for when I want to get in the water.

This'll be the first Winter when I've had decent kit so I'm looking forward to it in a strange sort of way.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Moonboots, a pair of thin socks, a pair of thicker socks and a pair of thermal socks; jeans; T-shirt; warm jumper; thermal woolly hat; thin, thermal, waterproof gloves; and a waterproof/windproof thermal all-in-one suit. That lot keeps me warm and dry in anything the British winter can throw at me. Who cares what I look like, while everyone else is hiding indoors I can be out enjoying those beautiful, bitter winter days, waiting for the tap-tap-tap from a big old chub...

DSCF1486.jpg

(It was so cold that night the landing net had frozen to the bank! That fish was so cold, it took ages to warm my hands up again...worth it though!)

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

I wear 'tactical boots' of chinese origin, they looked rough quickly but have a decent thinsulate lining and can fit my army socks underneath. For my hands I've comissioned an old pair of shelltex motorbike gloves. Bulky as hell but coz they're old and loose, they pull on and off in an instant and are more flexible aqnd importantly, quite waterproof.

Have worn womens tights before and they worked but weren't very comfy on my monkey legs so now use thermal long johns under tracksuit bottoms and jeans.

On top, vest, long sleeved t-shirt,woolly jumper, hoody and old belstaff bike jacket, complete with armour coz I can't be arsed to take it out!

On my head, usually a woolly hat that comes well over my lug'oles.

Renrag

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

Species Caught 2012- Pike, Perch.

Kayak Launches- Fresh-8 Salt- 0

Kayak Captures- 14 Pike, 1 Perch.

My Website and Blog Fishing Blog, Fishkeeping Information and BF3 Guide.

Foxy Lodge Wildlife Rescue

I don't move about much during the winter so I wear Skeetex boots, thermal long johns/thermal vest/T shirt and thermal jumper and normal trousers. On top of these I wear a 1 piece Leeda "panda" suit and then my Sundridge Heavyweight bib and brace and coat. Never felt cold even in icy winds and temps below freezing, but I do keep my hands in the pockets of the coat :) I do fish right thro the winter several days a week.

As Chris says,eat little and often, I would add hot drink little and often, keep the hood up stops heat loss around your neck and head, and get out of the wind .......use a brolly to shield you.

I get so warm and comfy that I often doze off for a while in the afternoon...but then I do that in the summer as well :)

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic