Sturgeon

Jamie Thornton

So, its nice to see people have had an experiance with a Sturgeon. Wierd to know its millions of years old eh? Almost a dinosaur?????

[ 08 July 2002, 06:21 PM: Message edited by: Jamie Thornton ]

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want to catch a sturgeon try crow green fishery in essex, There phone number is 01277375172, I have not been there myself but the local tackle shop said there is a few in there also they have carp and catfish that can be caught on bread the size of a golfball with the hook hidden in the centre hope this helps. Mark.

• 5 years later...
The biggest fish caught in UK waters on rod a line was a 388lb Sturgeon from the River Tywi in Wales in 1933.

You can read the story of it's capture here...

http://www.seatroutfestival.com/monster.htm

Chris

Just doing a bit of work behind the scenes and I stumbled across that link - WHAT a fish!!

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Angling Times, Tuesday, October, 23rd, 2001,page 6

There's a picture of a young lady holding a 5lb sturgeon, caught on float-legered meat from Kent fishery, Chequer Tree Farm

<small>[ 07 July 2002, 08:02 PM: Message edited by: Nugg ]</small>

I caught one from Chequertree a couple of years ago on a lump of Lamprey, was after the chub in there, they go to about 11 or 12lb now and go berserk when you hook them, good fun too, unfortunately, Chris the owner has been told to remove them by DEFRA and any caught he has to "bless them with the Priest" now.

Here's one I caught on the Fraser River in Canada. A day's fishing cost me about 300 quid and the guide said it was the smallest sturgeon he had ever seen!!! Also lost a biggie after a long fight :(

I would really like to get up there sometime. They have a tagging program that I wouldn't mind participating in. Not to mention the size.

Lucky you Sipadan

Jeff

Piscator non solum piscatur.

Yellow Prowler13

2274389822_1033c38a0e_s.jpg

Ask me at 75...

Just doing a bit of work behind the scenes and I stumbled across that link - WHAT a fish!!

One of my favourite fishing stories - love the bit about approaching the local farmer and asking for a horse and cart to carry the fish out of the river - loved to have been a fly on the wall for THAT conversation!

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

One of my m8's caught a 68 lb'er in France a few months back along with several 40+lb Carp. He said the Sturgeon fought pretty good.

Imagine a 68lb Barbel.........now that would need strong Tackle !!