The river Kennet

tiddlertamer

After a very busy month at work, I've finally got this Friday off and fancy a fishing trip to the Upper Kennet.

What sort of condition is it in?

Does it need more water? Is there a tinge of colour?

I wouldn't normally post such a specific subject on a fishing board but I know that Anglers Net is swarming with people who live closer to the Kennet. You lucky people you! :)

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days without taking a fish. (Hemingway - The old man and the sea)

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After a very busy month at work, I've finally got this Friday off and fancy a fishing trip to the Upper Kennet.

What sort of condition is it in?

Does it need more water? Is there a tinge of colour?

I wouldn't normally post such a specific subject on a fishing board but I know that Anglers Net is swarming with people who live closer to the Kennet. You lucky people you! :)

It was low and clear at the weekend but this rain may have coloured it up a bit ,On reflection i doubt it Steve.

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

Only seen the middle and lower reaches but they've been fine (if a little low) for most of the season so I guess the upper section will be too.

If you're unsure this article will whet your appetite;

http://www.purepiscator.com/articles/chris...ris_kennet.aspx

I think you'll be going, enjoy your day out.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Guess who the Chris is wot wrote that? :D

River is a little on the low side but then it always is this time of year and will be until the springs 'break' in early Jan (providing we get some autumn rain!) All the rain gauges on the river are showing low levels. Low water has meant that water temps have fluctuated quicker than normal and this mild spell has put the barbel on the munch - especially as it was cold a fortnight ago - had a cracking little session on Monday evening (see blog for full details!). Hoping to get a day on the middle river this weekend - just waiting for confirmation from Paul that the right permissions have been granted!

C.

Edited by Chris Plumb

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

Guess who the Chris is wot wrote that? :D

River is a little on the low side but then it always is this time of year and will be until the springs 'break' in early Jan (providing we get some autumn rain!) All the rain gauges on the river are showing low levels. Low water has meant that water temps have fluctuated quicker than normal and this mild spell has put the barbel on the munch - especially as it was cold a fortnight ago - had a cracking little session on Monday evening (see blog for full details!). Hoping to get a day on the middle river this weekend - just waiting for confirmation from Paul that the right permissions have been granted!

C.

Thanks guys - your help is much appreciated.

In fact, from reading Chris's article I've realised the spot I'll be fishing actully falls within the middle reaches of the Kennet. :unsure:

The water sounds like it is low.

The good news is the weather forecast.

A barmy 17 degrees and cloud with drizzle. Sounds perfect.

Even I couldn't blank... could I :rolleyes:

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days without taking a fish. (Hemingway - The old man and the sea)

Even I couldn't blank... could I :rolleyes:

Nope the trout will be on top form, BC by any chance (unless you've recently joined an association or have special permissions)?

Nope the trout will be on top form, BC by any chance (unless you've recently joined an association or have special permissions)?

You have me bang to rights on the location.

Hoping for something a bit more 'coarse' in the way of fish though...

I hear perch, roach, chub and dace are in there but my experience in catching them is limited. :rolleyes:

You have me bang to rights on the location.

Hoping for something a bit more 'coarse' in the way of fish though...

I hear perch, roach, chub and dace are in there but my experience in catching them is limited. :rolleyes:

Take some lobs and fish some of the lesser streams - Gunters and the Railways Slip have delivered up good perch for me in the past. Both are little more than distches - so stealth - and trotting at a little distance my be required!

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

Well I’m dead envious, BC is still one of my favourite locations.

I’d second the Gunters recommendation on the basis that I didn’t catch any trout on that bit. You might have to fight through reeds to get bankside but it does look a very good perch spot. Also from the weirpool at the top of Gunters keep walking downstream towards a footbridge/weedrack, I enjoyed entertaining a shoal of dace there on one of my visits. Across the footbridge is a small plunge pool which looks worth a try as well.

Hmm…. I hink I’ll book a day off next week and follow in your footsteps.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.