The river Kennet

tiddlertamer

A couple of 2lb+ Gunters perch pictured in this thread...

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/Barton-...html&st=100

(Post No. 119)

Worth fighting your way through the common reed to fish it just before it goes under the road - couple of trees there providing cover as well. Should be accessible with the low water table atm....but may need wellies/thigh waders!

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Take your waterproofs TT - looks a bit damp tomorrow!

Thank you everyone for all the advice. It really is very much appreciated.

Well I've dug out the waterproofs. Looks like the morning will be wet but I'm hoping, in an alarming display of optimism, that this will freshen up the river rather than turn it into a milky tea colour.

Forecasts appear to indicate the rain will disappear in the afternoon before coming back in the evening to dampen down everybody's bonfire nights. :(

30 lob worms, three pints of maggots and some hemp are the bait. Should keep me going! I'll leave the bread at home in the hope of catching large perch...

It sounds like Gunters is an interesting stretch and one I've never fished before. Which bank is accessible - the one nearest the railway line or the one nearest the middle cut?

And is the railway slip best fished at the downstream or upstream end? PM if you are worried about giving away your state secrets!

The morning can't come too soon... :)

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days without taking a fish. (Hemingway - The old man and the sea)

It sounds like Gunters is an interesting stretch and one I've never fished before. Which bank is accessible - the one nearest the railway line or the one nearest the middle cut?

And is the railway slip best fished at the downstream or upstream end? PM if you are worried about giving away your state secrets!

Nearest Middle Cut, that's the bank I've fished. It's narrow so there's no benefit in trying to get to the other bank. Both are flanked by reeds and I don't think they would've died back yet so 'accessible' is a relative term. Don't know about railway slip, it's on my list to do next time.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Thank you everyone for all the advice. It really is very much appreciated.

that this will freshen up the river rather than turn it into a milky tea colour.

Doubt we'll get enough for either. The milky tea look occurs on the upper & middle river when the springs break - though thankfully only lasts a week or so!

C.

Nearest Middle Cut, that's the bank I've fished. It's narrow so there's no benefit in trying to get to the other bank. Both are flanked by reeds and I don't think they would've died back yet so 'accessible' is a relative term. Don't know about railway slip, it's on my list to do next time.

Yeah! Access to Gunters is a bit like hacking your way through a bamboo forest - bit of a jungle - which is why it doesn't get looked at much - which is why I fish it!!! Railway slip has fish through out it I've found in the past - BUT it is such a narrow little stream they are easily spooked - often pays to rest and return!

C.

Well I’m dead envious, BC is still one of my favourite locations.

I’d second the Gunters recommendation on the basis that I didn’t catch any trout on that bit. You might have to fight through reeds to get bankside but it does look a very good perch spot. Also from the weirpool at the top of Gunters keep walking downstream towards a footbridge/weedrack, I enjoyed entertaining a shoal of dace there on one of my visits. Across the footbridge is a small plunge pool which looks worth a try as well.

Hmm…. I hink I’ll book a day off next week and follow in your footsteps.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

I've got a day off week after next - first in three weeks - I might have a go there (or somewhere near) as well!

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

I've got a day off week after next - first in three weeks - I might have a go there (or somewhere near) as well!

Took the dog and spinning rod to Speen for a few hours earlier today and went all round the venue for the grand total of 2 follows both of which turned away at the bank ,Big Pike and Lump of a Perch were the culprits in consecutive casts nerve jangly stuff .

Rusty if you are there tomorrow the culprits were lurking a couple of swims on from where the backstream meets the river again going back towards the Green bridge on the backstream path side of the river if that makes sense .

Work party finishes at midday so may come and find you later in the day if you are out ,Mike good luck in the week hope you get a lump .

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream: