Hexagraph rods

Newt

Trying to follow the carbon vs. cane thread and see lots of reference to Hexagraph rods. Did some internet searching and can't find any detail on the blank - how it is constructed.

Is This the sort of thing they use for these rods?

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Hi Newt

Hexagraph was very similar to your link, it was marketed by Bruce and Walker probably in the eighties from memory. It was supposed to give some of the benefits of cane construction, like the more linear bending, with the weight advantages or carbon. They were always very expensive and being a Bruce and Walker product they were usually slow actioned, like traditional spey double handed salmon rods. They were also considerably heavier than equivelent tubular rods. This at a time when the first of the Sage rods were coming over and people could see the advantages of crisp light rods with fast tapers.

I have no experience of the coarse rods they produced at the same time, possibly they were more appropriate as they spend most of their times in rod rests, so the weight issue isn't a problem.

Tim

I would think it must be something like that Newt, don't think that B&W are likely to tell you exactly how it's done though.

Thanks Tim.

That link to Cape Fear blanks is almost all sea rods. If you looked at the prices, they are for just the blank so the things aren't cheap but they do seem to have a good following among some US sea anglers.

I've not tried one personally but I would love to have a set of catfish rods made from those blanks I think. Just need to have a rich relative die and leave me their fortune. :D

edit note: ayjay, you must have posted while I was composing - didn't intend to ignore you

ayjay - I did note that page and they weren't very specific at all - which is sorta what prompted my question. Evidently lots of folks on here have used one of the Hexagraph rods but maybe none of them have broken one open to see how it was made.

[ 02. April 2005, 01:49 AM: Message edited by: Newt ]

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Newt,the way Brian Potter explained it to me was that the rod blank is assembled the same way as cane.The outer "skin" of each triangular section being carbon whick is bonded to an inner triangle of foam.The resulting sections are then bonded together just like built cane was.

When I first became involved with B&W they had just started making Hexagraph and were very keen on it.Its main properties over conventional tubular blanks were that due to the way it was made there was no overlap of cloth on a mandrel therefore no spline.The construction was also less prone to taking on an oval cross section when under compression.It was felt that this would improve both casting range and acuracey.Suprisingly low diameter blanks could be made.

The 2 1/2lb model I have is a fast taper and certainly puts a lead out well.As Ive said though I dont think any of the properties it has justifies the price.

Contary to what you might think if you want any more details of how Hexagraph rods are made just email Brian Potter at B&W Im sure he would gladly give you lots of information.

webmaster@bruceandwalker.co.uk

[ 02. April 2005, 03:21 AM: Message edited by: BUDGIE ]

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Go to

http://www.bruceandwalker.co.uk

It's a very good site. I use a B&W hexagraph avon from time to time, as well as an 11'6", 1 3/4 lb carp rod, for heavy water Barbel fishing. It'll throw a fully loaded 2oz feeder (possibly 4ozs) right across some very wide bits of the Severn whan i need to. As it doesn't have a quiver tip, it's pretty much restricted to the heaviest flow you get, but If i touch ledger with it, it's a blinder.

Dunk Fairley

Fighting for anglers' rights - Join SAA today at http://www.saauk.org

Hi Newt..The Hexagraphs are of a 'solid' construction, similar in design to the Hextek, but filled inside the six triangles. The original carbon sheets are layered with a foam backing and cured before they are diamond cut into sections and then glued together and strung up..like cane rods...Ray

Thanks Ray. I wonder why the fill-in part. Looks like it would add a little weight and have an adverse impact on the action of the blank for no real advantage. Interesting and I'm sure I'm missing something.

http://shop.mudhole.com/site/files/Capespecs.htm has more details about the Hextek blanks if anyone's interested.