Bit of a contentious subject?

Chris Goddard

I need to ask a question and I am probably going to upset some people but I feel It has to be done for reasons which will become apparent?

I have recieved information that a member of my local club was seen to despatch a Pike the other weekend. Not to everyones taste?

The fish was caught by accident I think from the feedback I have received. The gent who caught the fish was apparently a little distressed and asked for help in dealing with the fish.

The person who "Dealt" with the fish did so by spearing the fish through the head (Allegedly) with a bankstick.

Had this matter been brought to my attention by anyone other than the person who witnessed this I would have had some difficulty in believing that this had happened. However I do believe this incident did occur.

Now my question is this. What do I do about It?? What can I do about It?? (All supposing I can prove the incident did actually take place.) Your views would be appreciated, private or otherwise.

Chris

[ 08 May 2002, 12:31 AM: Message edited by: Chris Goddard ]

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

What are the club rules re: killing pike?

And did they at least have the decency to take it home for a meal?

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Hard to comment without knowing your club's rules re pike.

However in my own club,anyone seen treating a pike in this manner would be expelled from the club,and his name and reasons for expulsion would be circulated to other local clubs. :mad:

Peter.

Happiness is a rod in your hand.

Chris,

Put it up before the comittee and see what they say. People like that shouldn't be allowed in the club IMO. I don't see why you should have to prove it, a witness to the events is normally more than enough for most club comittees.

Rob.

Hi all, very sad indeed! :(

Providing the rules are clear regarding Pike....

1. Discuss the incident with the Committee.

2. Invite all parties involved (in writing) to attend the next Committee meeting to stand before the Committee.

3. Adjourn to discuss the facts.

4. Ban the individual who despatched the Pike for life.

5. Confirm in writing.

6. Circulate his name to bailiffs and other local clubs.

quote:

Originally posted by Chris Goddard:

[QB][/QB]

Hi Chris,

from your post I am assuming that both the distressed angler and the person that dispatched the Pike were Carp fishing. If this is correct, neither of them would be equiped to handle a Pike in the normal manner or possibly have the experience to do so. I would not put my hand in a Pike's mouth without having something to keep it open.

Interview the 2 people concerned for the FULL facts, put yourself in there position for a few hectic minutes and take it from there.

Possibly put an article in your clubs news letter describing what to do in the event of this hapening again to other anglers.

If they were doing what they thought was the only option, banning is a little harsh IMO.

Facts first, judgment later.

Good luck

Alan(nl)

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/

Chris, before you do anything try to get the witness to put it in writing, preferably with another witness to his/her signature.

If you start accusing people on the word of another you better be sure they will back you up!

Get it in writing and then report it to the committee,

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic