Fixed Spool vs Mulitplier

JBee123

Peter Waller:

Peter Waller:

i'll take the eon of your hands peter, been thinking about getting one ever since you got that one off ebay

No, no, no, excellent reel. Just been playing with it, as Vidar says, bit of inertia to overcome but most of my lures are 15gms upwards & its no problem. Well, didn't think that it was a problem with lighter stuff, till someone told me!

Have watched Argyll with his Scorpian, excellent results. Maybe after Xmas

The Eon is a very good reel perfect for lures between 11-30 grams (3/8 - 1oz) or more if you stretch it a bit.

The Scorpion 1000/01 is capable of handling surprisingly light lures (easily down to 7 grams or less) and can be bought for around £100.00 excl. VAT, but including the freight cost from various sources in Japan, which is not a lot of money for such a fantastic little reel. If you ask nicely they will even label the shipment with a relative low value, allowing you to more or less avoid the UK duty & VAT charge. The only thing is, spend £15 to buy the 84mm big knob handle in addition as the stock one is meant for the Japanese users and most of us Europeans will regard it as far to small.

http://www.japantackle.com/Shimano/Shimano...orpion_1000.htm

Anyhow, for the really light stuff there is no way around the Daiwa Liberto Pixy as no other reel even comes close to it's overall performance.

My Daiwa Pixy reel and Pixy 6.6ft limited edition rod weighs in at around 9.5oz and the only way you are going to achieve something remotely similar with a spinning outfit is with a 500 sized ultra light reel. The cranking power and brake strength for any 500 sized spinning reel out there is abysmal compared to my Pixy.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As 90% of my fishing is done from shore, I have found that Fixed spool setup to be more user friendly. I can cast a baitcaster without difficulty and have caught many fish doing it. I just prefeer a fixed spool reel for my lure fishing.

Peter Waller, I use a fixed spool as my primary reel on the Wels as Budgie will tell you. I also have baitcasters that are included. I for one do not have a problem with either. Others that I fish with do not feel this confident and shy away from them. It is just my personal preference.

HOPPY4

HOPPY

With respect, Hoppy, mine is only a personal opinion. It strikes me that there are people who, for whatever reason, insist on trying to prove that their chosen favourite, whether multi or fixed spool, is master of all. I really don't think that that is the case, but there we go, just my opinion. Horses for courses, what ever pleases us most is what matters.

For me I think that, in the minds of most anglers, that the multi is severly underated, and the fixed spool as equelly overated. But don't take my word for it!!

My piking is/was done on a series of decent size lochs, lomond awe and the west coast waters, I use mainly 18/20 lb line , the size of reels that can cope with a decent amount of line makes for cumbersome set ups, the use of an abu 6500 means the available capacity can all be used, unlike the fixed spool that hits a friction problem very quickly. I use shimano areolex 8000s , big blues, abu6500s and mitchells, for very light casting try some of the abu closed face reels that were designed for the job, the5/6 series are great, they were not just for match fishing.

I use both and catching chub on a light baitcasting outfit and little 1/4oz spinners always puts a grin on my face.

One never ending disapointment with baitcasters though is when a big fish screams off to the sound of............Silence.

I do love the sound od of a screaming clutch on a fixed spool reel

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.