River fishing...very open question.

dizidave

I havent really done much river fishing at all, but my new house is only 2 mins away from the river and would like to get into it.

I have only done still water stuff before.

I know this is a very big question but can someone just very briefly give me the low down on technique/method.

Any really good tips or golden rules for river fishing?(ie shouold i look for slow spos or fast water etc?)

I doubt anyone will know it, but the intended river is the river rother in south yorkshire. I have no idea how it fishes or anything so ill just have to give it a go.

Hi Dizzeee. Like you I live within minutes of the water's edge. I grab an hour or two before work, half an hour at lunch time, a couple of hours in the evening. Lure fishing is great for when I only have an hour or less, I can pick up a rod and just go. Longer sessions for bream are a great pleasure. I keep 'my' spot pre-baited all summer. I know where the bream have their various patrol routes throughout the year. Living by & on the water means you can get really intimate with your river, it becomes an obsession, & you can always catch. Good luck.

Every river is very different.

Depth, flow, clarity, species, river traffic, waterweed.

A lot of anglers tackle rivers, much as they would a lake with an undertow, or nail their bait to the bottom with a feeder.

They might just as well fish a lake!

The essence of river fishing (as opposed to still-water fishing) is to use the flow.

If there is any flow at all, learn to fish with a stick float and centre-pin.

It will take years to learn all the secrets, but that's all part of the fun of fishing.

To get you started, have a look at:

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/authors/leon08.htm

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Never fished the rother, though have fished the don, good heads of perch roach rudd and trout.

Try the stick (remember to check the line towards the end of the cast to straighten it out and stop tangles), look for a smooth glide to start with feed regularly and hopefully the fish will be drawn up stream to you.

Also don't be frightened of a large pice of bread on a bomb, trundled across the bottom, it can be a great method for chub.

Best advice...have a go....it really can be a wonderful pleasure.

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

Do you live in Sheffield or Rotherham i know the Don very well and over the next few week i am going to try fishing the rother around Killinmarsh, Catcliff & Rotherham

if you want to have a try on the Don or Rother drop me a line

5 rules to success:

1) Keep rod tip high so less line is in the water.

2) Use a sinking and slow acting groundbait.

3) Use a bait dropper to introduce feed.

4) Be prepared for bigger fish (you never know with a river)

5) Use a rod and not a pole!!!!!!!! :D

Regards

Ed 'Herefords bagging machine'

www.kingfisher-club.vze.com