Mice in the garden

Peter M

Hi all

My next door neighbour says he has been having lots of mice in his garden and asked us not to put bird food out for a while, which we have not. He has been putting out mousetraps and has trapped quiet a few. He is still getting them and accusing use of still putting food out. I said that he is the only one putting out food in his traps. Our houses back on to a wood so if he puts out baited traps he will always get mice. Can anyone tell me what the official line is on putting traps out (that kill the mice) in the garden. Surely other animals are at risk of getting the trap springing on them i.e. hedgehogs, squirrels etc. He is being a bit of an arse about it.

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

you can trap or poison anything you wish in your garden ,i doubt you will find a mouseless garden anywhere in the UK ,even rats are commoner than you think.

i trap mice in the sheds (the garden they can have) and chuck them in the field for the magpies :D

poison itself can be various things probably more hedgehogs are killed by slug pelleted slugs and snails than anything else along with bread and milk (dog food only if you insist on feeding them)

its common sense though to put poisoned seeds in pipes away from birds but theres little you can do to stop him and i'v never caught anything more than mice in a mouse trap in the open perhaps birds wriggle free as mousetraps work by breaking necks or bashing skulls rather than brute force so a hedgehog will get a very sore nose out of it but nothing more i expect and i guess as their brains bigger than a mouses once bitten twice shy i guess

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

you can trap or poison anything you wish in your garden ,i doubt you will find a mouseless garden anywhere in the UK ,even rats are commoner than you think.

i trap mice in the sheds (the garden they can have) and chuck them in the field for the magpies :D

poison itself can be various things probably more hedgehogs are killed by slug pelleted slugs and snails than anything else.

its common sense though to put poisoned seeds in pipes away from birds but theres little you can do to stop him

This is not true. You cannot lay traps or poison for 'anything you wish' in your garden.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

This is not true. You cannot lay traps or poison for 'anything you wish' in your garden.

ofcourse you can who's going to stop me?

traps dont always kill and as i mentioned more hedgehogs are killed by slug pellets or bread and milk ,who's stopping me using either?

i can trap dogs cats or anything i please and if their put down legally kill them as well

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

ofcourse you can who's going to stop me?

traps dont always kill and as i mentioned more hedgehogs are killed by slug pellets or bread and milk ,who's stopping me using either?

i can trap dogs cats or anything i please and if their put down legally kill them as well

Are you claiming that if owls or badgers were coming into your garden and you decided to lay traps or poison for them you would not be commiting an offence? Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

Are you claiming that if owls or badgers were coming into your garden and you decided to lay traps or poiaon for them you would not be commiting an offence?

who would stop me?

i'v just had a peek out the back and i'm afraid theres no coppers ,EA representatives ,RSPB ,RSPCA etc etc in sight ! as i say who's going to stop me? who can prove i'm deliberately laying traps for those specific creatures on purpose if there is?

show me what magpie trap wont accidentally trap owls or rabbit or fox trap wont accidentally trap badgers?

do you think people as stupid as cartoon characters who openly tell the audience their after wabbits (or any other animal in this case) unfortunate accidents happen all the time (tear running down cheek icon)

wait i'l erect a deer trapping going on sign for the benefit of the authorities :rolleyes:

Edited by chesters1

who would stop me?

i'v just had a peek out the back and i'm afraid theres no coppers ,EA representatives ,RSPB ,RSPCA etc etc in sight ! as i say who's going to stop me? who can prove i'm deliberately laying traps for those specific creatures on purpose if there is?

show me what magpie trap wont accidentally trap owls or rabbit or fox trap wont accidentally trap badgers?

If a badger was caught in a fox trap or an owl in a magpie trap and you killed them instead of releasing them then you would be commiting an offence.

It is an offence to interfere with badgers in any way.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1992/51/contents

your a little naive Cory ,i didnt trap it i killed it indoors attacking my kids ,wife ,kitten puppy or goldfish ,self defence M'lud

as i said its up to everyone else (that are not anywhere in sight remember so any "evidence" is hearsay) to prove i (well not i that suedo person i;m talking about) did it "deliberately"

i dont enjoy being told what i can and cannot do by anyone so "generally" i ignore them especially laws brought in by people i didnt vote for and have no respect for

you forget its not actually about "me" its about anyone ,theres those that break laws and those that bend laws ,those that break them openly and those that bend them out of sight.

as i often say you can bring in as many laws as you please but if their not used they're not laws at all but suggestions

i trap mice in the shed everything else is welcome if Peter M's neighbour gets caught doing something he's as nuts as was suggested ,perhaps i should re phrase "you can trap or poison anything you wish in your garden" to you can trap or poison anything you wish in your garden if your not stupid ..happy?

at the moment i'm happily trapping crayfish ,yes i have a licence and yes its all above board ,but just like anyone i could if i wish do it without a licence if i wished ,the silly would get caught the not so not but just because theres laws about doesnt mean it doesnt happen does it?

i and you and that next door neighbour can do anything they please so long as they realise the consequences of doing it!

i'm not saying go and break laws deliberately Cory as you can see even in your link there is plenty of loopholes in most laws to use almost legaly

Edited by chesters1