Aurora Borealis time lapse

RobStubbs

Excellent. I've been up round the North Cape of Norway (up to about 71o latitude) loads of times, in summer, winter, spring and autumn and spent about 6 weeks in Molde in Norway (about 62o latitude) and never ONCE did I see any aurora. :(

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Lovely Rob.

My Dad saw it once from surrey when he was little.

When are we due the next big particle discharge ?

Next solar maximum is predicted May 2013, but weather on the sun is harder to predict than weather on earth. They thought we would be at solar max by now but apart from one or two displays like the one in the sequences Rob posted it's been a bit dissapointing

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Saw it from Drummore,Mull of Galloway back last month :) First time I had seen it. Even managed a few photos of it (blurred) :angry: Had been doing a star trail shoot when I noticed the Aurora to the north. Never noticed the condensation on the lens though !!!! To the naked eye it was shafts of white light. Turned out red and green on a 30 sec exposure.

John

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

We went to a friends wedding in Finnish Lapland a couple of years ago (200 miles inside the Arctic circle) and what finally persuaded me to go was to see the Aurora. Conditions would have been perfect but there was a full moon and it was not visible. I was gutted :o

It's on my bucket list, just have to go back ;)

As no man is born an artist, so no man is born an angler. Izaac Walton

That must be an awesome sight in person.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Like I say,took this shot last month over in Drummore,Mull of Galloway where we spend most of the summer. I could kick myself for not seeing that the lens was covered in condensation :angry: On reviewing my first shot on screen it looked fine. I think it was the excitement of the situation that made me forget to zoom in to check the detail. I will never do that again

Anyway here is my shot. Even managed to get the Plough into the frame !!!

IMG_0117r.jpg

John

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

Like I say,took this shot last month over in Drummore,Mull of Galloway where we spend most of the summer. I could kick myself for not seeing that the lens was covered in condensation :angry: On reviewing my first shot on screen it looked fine. I think it was the excitement of the situation that made me forget to zoom in to check the detail. I will never do that again

Anyway here is my shot. Even managed to get the Plough into the frame !!!

IMG_0117r.jpg

John

You were talking the whole shot down there John, so that we were building up to dissapointment.

Didn't work, fantastic shot :clap: