Winter has arrived :-(

Snatcher

We are close enough to the Gulf of Mexico that the wind direction has a huge impact on our temps. From the North and nights are cold; from the South and not so cold.

Luckily we've not had snow since I doubt there is a gritter within 100 miles and the hilly dirt/gravel road I live on will be impassible with even a little frozen precip.

wx-12-08.jpg

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is a current and concise update from DHL about the status of package delivery in the UK. I imagine it pretty well holds for RM/PF as well.

"Service Update 1500 GMT 07/12/2010

Scotland: No carriers are attempting collections in Scotland, as any collected material cannot be moved by air or road due to the weather conditions.Deliveries are limited to parcels that are already in depot, and even then some areas are still impassable.

North England: North East counties, East Yorkshire, Humberside, Lincolnshire are experiencing some delays in collection due to poor driving conditions and a backlog of deliveries and collections in every depot

Midlands: Some collections are being delayed but deliveries are being made and extra staff are being used to try to clear the backlog.Wales:North and Mid Wales are severely effected by icy conditions, delays are expected.

South West: Dorset and Hampshire are experiencing delays due to icy conditions.London and South East:Sussex, Kent and some areas within the M25 are experiencing delays due to icy conditions, collection and delivery delays up to 48 hrs

Northern Ireland/Eire: Collection services have been delayed by 48 hrs and no Air services are being operated via Belfast or Dublin Airports due to closure. Deliveries are delayed by up to 48 hours due to current backlog and lack of inbound deliveries from UK mainland

EAll Areas: Even though there may be limited weather impacts in your area the impact on the whole network means parcels are not moving as they normally would, causing massive storage issues which are also impacting on collections.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Thats a very good way of getting the real picture of the weather Newt :thumbs:

I'm in Dorset at the moment & most of the snow & ice has melted today. Just been talking to someone in Scotland however, they have 3 foot of snow, been stuck indoors for over a week, gutters are colapsing, trees are loosing branches & they have no where left to shovel the snow too.

I think an emergency will be declared if this carries on much longer. People are dying up there.

Edited by ziggy searchfield

Thats a very good way of getting the real picture of the weather Newt :thumbs:

I'm in Dorset at the moment & most of the snow & ice has melted today. Just been talking to someone in Scotland however, they have 3 foot of snow, been stuck indoors for over a week, gutters are colapsing, trees are loosing branches & they have no where left to shovel the snow too.

I think an emergency will be declared if this carries on much longer. People are dying up there.

I worry about this country. What would we do if we got a real hard winter?

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/education/teen...re_winters.html

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote