okuma reel

Jonathan Peter Levitt

Oh dear, I have to put my negative experience in again! My Okuma interceptor baitfeeder was free with my Ron Thompson match rod.... Great! I thought. It was a terrible reel in every sense: the bale-arm needed huge force, winding forward, to get it to flip back over to pick up the line. The line got caught up everywhere, including behind the (skirted) spool. The rear drag couldn't be comfortably adjusted while playing a fish, being too small to grip (especially with cold fingers). I wouldn't buy any reel from Okuma again, and I gave the unloved interceptor away. I have an inexpensive Zebco reel that does the business and is miles better. My best buy, however, was a pair of little-used Shimano Aeros at thirty five quid each.

You meet all kinds of animal on the riverbank.

The Okuma Interceptor doesn't have a rear drag, thats for adjusting the baitfeeder, at least it is on mine

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

'the bale-arm needed huge force'

The bale arm does require a bit more effort, but conversely it never accidentally flips over during a cast like my ABUs sometimes do. If you habitually knock the bale arm over by hand as I do, it makes no difference. If its still a problem then a weaker bale arm spring probably costing a few pence would resolve the problem.

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

I use an interceptor and so far I haven't had any bother with the thing at all. It's actually one of three Okumas I have and the all run like clockwork. I'd buy another in a second.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

I don't actually remember how many okumas we have in the house with all five of us fishing but personally I have three from the range and have never had any problems.

Provided you maintain your cheaper reels by keeping them clean and greasing them etc and treating them as if they were top of the range models they can last just as long as your shimanos etc.

Wendy

I was given a pair of Dynadrag Pro 50's, for almost 3 years and have had no problem at all.

These are their bargain basement reels and have taken a fair pasting over the last 12 months especially. All I have done is ensured I have kept them clean.

I reckon they represent pretty good VFM, and am happy enough with them. Acquiring 3 Shimano Aero 5010's is all that stopped me from getting 3 Epix Pro's. I'd use Okuma reels with confidence.

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

I have an okuma epix size 40 model and have used it to catch chub to 4lbs, barbel to 9lbs, tench to 7lb and carp to 17lb.

Cant fault the reel one bit, the drag is excellent!!

Joel

[ 25. September 2005, 11:36 AM: Message edited by: J.K ]

2PhJuly2013sig_zps25c667b8.jpg