Airtravel with Rods

SteveF

I have recently had a bit of luck and my sister-in-law has moved to spain. The wife wants to visit her often, and near by are some carp lakes.

My current rod holdall would never protect my gear in an aircraft hold.

Does anyone have any advice on a good rod holdall which can enable survival of 2 13 foot rods. 2 reels a buzzer bar and assortment of tackle.

Thanks for any good advice..

The reels, tackle and buzzer bar can go into a suitcase.

There are a few 'bazooka' type hard rod holdals on the market - I'd go for one of those. Look for one that allows you to stick a padlock on.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Have travelled to many places by air, taking tackle with me.

Over distances ranging from Blackpool-Isle of Man on the one hand to Heathrow-Launceston (Tasmania) on the other.

I made a rod holdall (6'6") out of the grey plastic tubing BT use for telephone conduits - total cost just over one squid. Takes two beachcasters. Has worked very well

Have always taken big reels in hold luggage and small ones in cabin (hand) luggage, but just recently there was a tale that someone had a fly-reel confiscated from his hand luggage lest he attempt to strangle the pilot with the line. Although that sounds like a thinly-veiled theft of a fly reel to me, to avoid trouble I now put ALL reels and other gear in hold luggage.

Split the tackle between as many bags as you are taking, so that the loss of one bag does not ruin your holiday.

OTOH Some airlines are quite tiresome about rod tubes - either an extra charge, or "can you take this down to the oversize luggage bay - down on the left, out of the service door, past the dispersal building, third hut on the right behind the old BOAC hanger"

As I get older I am less tolerant of this sort of hassle, and now have reserve rods permanently in Texas and Tasmania (where I go most often) and take 6-piece travel rods or telescopic rods in hold luggage elswhere.

If I am going after big game, most charter boats include the gear in the charter package, so I then have the luxury of less gear to tote.

[ 10. September 2004, 03:32 PM: Message edited by: Vagabond ]

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Take a look at the KIS rod tube, it's very good although takes a little practice to pack it efficiently. Will take rods plus reels, bite alarms, camera, etc. Basically just pack it till it's full with the smaller items.

Then I usually put the tackle box in the rucksack, pad the external pockets with socks, etc & throw it on as hold baggage. That just leaves the chair(if you need one) which I find just fits in the overhead locker.

Jim.

She lives near Gandia, somewhere between Valencia and Alicante. The great thing she has found is this local who knows the water will actually go for a days fishing showing you all the good swims etc and you pay for his bate and food etc. (not a great deal)

The chap takes you where the fishing is good at that time of year, he also has all the details on how to get licenses etc. sadly my Sister in law has all his details and is contacting him for me, but I will be sure to give his details if he is good, and willing :)

dont they have roof racks

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I've been all over the place with a Bazooka tube and never had any problems at all.

Got a couple recently for my dad and a friend for an absolute bargain price of about £30. I paid nearer £70 for mine a few years back. I'll try and find the address...

hi steve, the reason i asked where you were was so i could tell you some of the noted waters nearby where you are.inland of gandia, at xativa, you have a water called bellus, which has o.k black bass fishing, further inland you have the enormous resrvoir of Tous. this has good blackbass,carp, pike, and some smallish zander.further inland again, you have the fisheries of escalona, and naranjero. the later has a reputation for being difficult. your best bet of all these has to be tous, although it is big, and you will have to find the fish.its good you have a guide,a licence for a year is cheap, about 6 euros? mine ran out last weekend, so i wont know the new price till this week!dont be tempted to fish without a licence, as although they turn a blind eye to people sea fishing without a ticket(normally), they are very strict about freshwater.the baliffs are the guardia civil, seprona branch, (environmental protection), and come complete with 9mm automatics!!! imagine that on the manchester ship canal!! :D:D anyway, have a good time mate.cheers.