Luck in angling

Steve Burke

So what is luck, or bad luck?

Luck is when something goes right or how you would like it to go rather than happening in a way you don't want it to. If you trip over and land on your head causing a severe brain hemeridge and death then that's bad luck :rolleyes: opposed to good luck where you'd have a good fall and land on some nice soft grass and find a 20 pond note B) Some people will use the term fate.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fate Luck Bad Luck or Good Luck we dont have any control over these things, unless you believe in a 'Guiding Hand' that actually rewards or otherwise.

I think you should concede defeat on this one, unless of course you believe in a spiritual being which is quite OK by me for you to have these beliefs, but I don't :huh:

Why would I concede defeat when i'm absolutly right ? I've just had some fishing friends round and showed them this topic which caused much hilarity (and that was before the glasses of port :drunk: ). Every single one of them agreed that there are aspects of fishing that you have no control over and so luck does have a part to play.

Regarding spirtual beings which is a totally different topic .... yes I do belive in them :)

Maybe worth reading this:

http://bigbash.fishing-buddys.com/index.php?topic=2235.0

Unwise to compare match anglers with "named" specimen anglers... who are just very dedicated pleasure anglers really.

The likes of Alan Scothorne who has won 5 World Championships, regularly competing against the best, their professionalism, amount of preparation, number of adjustments during a match according to varying conditions, reading missed bites, ringing the changes as the fish feed differently and the innate ability to read it as it happens etc etc etc, match anglers are on a totally different level.

Winning the World Championship or the Drennan Cup! Ones the World and the others not even the Commonwealth Games...

I think Tiggers thing about luck is more relevant to specimen angling than match angling.

I think Tiggers thing about luck is more relevant to specimen angling than match angling.

No not really Jeffwill, there is till luck involved in match angling just the same. One of my m8's was telling me earlier tonight about his farther in law fishing a match with some celebrities (I can't remember their names but he told me ) and when they saw the pegs they drew they just ripped up their tickets and fired off. I think match fishermen are no better than anyone else (who does actually try to catch fish), it's just that they're there week in week out putting in the effort and really trying to catch, as you say making adjustments etc so making the most of situations that many wouldn't bother doing.

Why would I concede defeat when i'm absolutly right ? I've just had some fishing friends round and showed them this topic which caused much hilarity (and that was before the glasses of port :drunk: ). Every single one of them agreed that there are aspects of fishing that you have no control over and so luck does have a part to play.

Regarding spirtual beings which is a totally different topic .... yes I do belive in them :)

Sorry but you will never get me to believe in luck good, bad or indifferent - I blame not getting the fish I am after on me and my poor angling skills, abilities, knowledge, techniques just me nothing else, just me for being plain stupid. Incidentally I do believe in an all powerful spiritual deity.

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

There must be an element of luck in angling seeing as there are so many variables that we cannot control.

Although you could look at the universe (by this i mean angling) with a deterministc perspective, luck becomes redundant, you would have been destined to catch a specimen, or to blank or have whatever outcome you experienced. The concept of luck, or skill would be an illusion, even the perfect cast was destined, the slight rise in water temp etc. Probability and luck would only be human ideas, which themselves would have been destined to be thought up.

There must be an element of luck in angling seeing as there are so many variables that we cannot control.

Although you could look at the universe (by this i mean angling) with a deterministc perspective, luck becomes redundant, you would have been destined to catch a specimen, or to blank or have whatever outcome you experienced. The concept of luck, or skill would be an illusion, even the perfect cast was destined, the slight rise in water temp etc. Probability and luck would only be human ideas, which themselves would have been destined to be thought up.

There is a difference in luck and destiny, I belive in luck but I don't belive in destiny.

If there was no such thing as luck what would you call winning the lottery ?

There is a difference in luck and destiny, I belive in luck but I don't belive in destiny.

If there was no such thing as luck what would you call winning the lottery ?

An event determined to happen due to chaos theory, an event that was destined to happen ever since matter was set into motion etc. It's a pointless line of thought to go down, but it's impossible to deny that it could be true. I'd call it luck, because it is so unlikely to happen, but it just might have been destiny ( i don't mean this in a religious way, simply as an event that has 100% probability).

Dictionary definition of LUCK

–noun

1. the force that seems to operate for good or ill in a person's life, as in shaping circumstances, events, or opportunities: With my luck I'll probably get pneumonia.

2. good fortune; advantage or success, considered as the result of chance: He had no luck finding work.

3. a combination of circumstances, events, etc., operating by chance to bring good or ill to a person: She's had nothing but bad luck all year.