Luck in angling

Steve Burke

In my opinion luck has little to do with it- its about local knowledge, experience, finesse, patience...the list goes on.

Saying that, its not un-heard of that two anglers have been fishing swims next to each other, that are identical, fishing the same rig, same method, same bait, and one of them blanks whilst the other catches all day, sometimes it might just be luck, who knows :)

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So far as my experience goes, it is certain that good luck is the most vital part of the equipment of him who would seek to slay large carp. For some men I admit the usefulness of skill and pertinacity; for myself, I take my stand entirely upon luck. To the novice I would say: Cultivate your luck. Prop it up with omens and signs of good purport. Watch for magpies on your path. Form the habit of avoiding old women who squint. Throw salt over your left shoulder. Touch wood with the forefinger of your right hand when-ever you are not doing anything else. Be on friendly terms with a black cat. Turn your money under the new moon. Walk around ladders. Don’t start on a Friday. Stir the materials for Christmas pudding and wish. Perform all other such rites as you know and hear of. These things are important in carp fishing."

H.T. Sheringham Coarse Fishing (1912)

:D

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

So far as my experience goes, it is certain that good luck is the most vital part of the equipment of him who would seek to slay large carp. For some men I admit the usefulness of skill and pertinacity; for myself, I take my stand entirely upon luck. To the novice I would say: Cultivate your luck. Prop it up with omens and signs of good purport. Watch for magpies on your path. Form the habit of avoiding old women who squint. Throw salt over your left shoulder. Touch wood with the forefinger of your right hand when-ever you are not doing anything else. Be on friendly terms with a black cat. Turn your money under the new moon. Walk around ladders. Don’t start on a Friday. Stir the materials for Christmas pudding and wish. Perform all other such rites as you know and hear of. These things are important in carp fishing."

:D

C.

:bigemo_harabe_net-163: :bigemo_harabe_net-163: :bigemo_harabe_net-163:

Then you can blame your poor showing or lack of the specimen you are after on someone else 'Luck'.

hehehe! --- nice one ... "It's not my fault it was just bad luck." ... or ... "The luck was not with me." ... or ... "Had no luck they just weren't feeding." ... hehehe

Have you actually considered what you are saying?

Edited by watatoad

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

Very good Chris and probably an appropriate way to end a thread which won't be reaching a conclusion (like most threads of this nature).

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Yes, we should all take heed of something written nigh on 100 years ago, when carp fishing was actually hard.

:huh:

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

So the guys who CONSISTANTLY win matches,catch bigger fish etc etc are more "lucky" than others then?

Didnt one of the great golfers say something like "the more I practice the luckier I seem to become"?

I'm with you on this one Budgie.

Personally I think good anglers like Alex at Wingham probably rely on luck much less than others and thats why they catch more.

Going from catching 1 bream a season to catching 3 bream a season isn't the stuff of Super Anglers either for me. Ive always thought from what Ive read about Wingham that better(multipul) and more frequant catches would be possible for an angler of some experience than the catches that have been reported on here.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

There are some things in fishing which are pure luck of course, I don't think anyone would deny that. For example, a couple of seasons ago I was perch fishing at a little tributary, and in addition to a couple of lovely perch I also had two cracking chub, each either side of 5lb. I hadn't done anything to try to catch chub that day and didn't even know there were any in there (I'd never had one before, or since actually), so that was just lucky :)

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

There are some things in fishing which are pure luck of course, I don't think anyone would deny that. For example, a couple of seasons ago I was perch fishing at a little tributary, and in addition to a couple of lovely perch I also had two cracking chub, each either side of 5lb. I hadn't done anything to try to catch chub that day and didn't even know there were any in there (I'd never had one before, or since actually), so that was just lucky :)

Narrrh, can't of been luck. As so many people have said there's no luck in angling it's all down to skill and knowledge :rolleyes:

Andrew you must have been subconciously trying for chub :D;)

Next time I blank after trying all the best known swims and all the best methods and baits it will be because I've done something wrong. I'm gonna have to get some top match/specimine angler to show me how it's done correctly....can anyone help me out :D

Next time I blank after trying all the best known swims and all the best methods and baits it will be because I've done something wrong.

I'm gonna have to get some top match/specimine angler to show me how it's done correctly....can anyone help me out :D

I knew you'd get it in the end :P I'm sure someone can help, give Lutra a bell :)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music