Catfood

Tyke

Used catfood in jelly for the first time on a short evening session on my local pond.

Fished a Drennan dx light waggler rod with 2.6lb line and a 12 barbless hook with a puddle chucker float.

Had plenty of bites with small stuff that i could not hit apart from the odd roach, then all went quiet and then in the next hour i had 3 mirrors all 7lb plus which gave great sport on the Drennan rod which is so light and as a fantastic through action.

My mate in the next peg had nowt on luncheon meat !

The catfood was only 35 pence for a big tin and is very firm and stays on the hook well.

Also had a few small Tench all on the catfood.

I had read it was the in bait and i was well chuffed with the results.

7.5%20lb%20mirror%20resize.jpg

Read the topic title, Cat Food. Thought it could only refer to carp, or zander :D:D:D

By the way, well done, lovely looking fish! Re the DRX rods. Just picked up a second hand, but absolutley mint, DRX 15ft Float Rod. As you say, so light, very impressed. Sort of rod that thirty years ago we dreampt about!

Your floats, they looked good in the various tackle revues, how do you rate them?

[ 28 May 2002, 06:32 PM: Message edited by: Peter Waller ]

i remember using cat food in the late sixties (it was all the rage) for carp ,it had to be mixed with flour to enable it to be used ,i chose kit-e-kat (the cheapest )but it was nearly 50% bones ,how cats ate it i`l never know ,switched to sausage meat mixed with sausage rusk ,it was a great bait.cat meat has improved since so i use it now and again for carp with differing results. :) .havent really tried it float fishing ,i prefer bread

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

The Catfood in question is Katkins and i used chicken and turkey flavour in jelly.

They do salmon flavour which i will try next.

The Katkins was bought from Asda and is also sold at Wilkos.

Its around 35 pence a tin and as a ring pull on the can.

My DRX is the ultra light 13ft model.

"Your floats, they looked good in the various tackle revues, how do you rate them?"

Not sure what you mean here pete.

I dont do floats but did post a link to some good sites that sell them.

The DRX is the best rod ive ever used and it cost me £180.

I also bought a Drennan Tench float rod too which is also a nice rod.

Saying that i own a cheap shakespear 10ft light specimen rod that cost £30 new and i prefer it to my Nash Hooligun rod.!!

Alan Branson informs me that the catfood in gravy is softer and easier to hit bites with.

Seeing as i was fishing close in and just plopping the float in underhand ill try the gravy version too.

ColinR:

Hi - I have not fished with catmeat much yet, but I am told by some in the know that the "best" stuff to use is the Chicken in gravy of the brandname "Koshida" available from LIDL stores.

The fish in my pond are crazy about Coshida dry cat food. £1.99 for a big bag from LIDL.

Some biscuits have got a hole in that is big enough to thread a hook through, add a bit of bread dough to make it sink.

At the moment I am giving the fish in a newly dug pond, corned beef from LIDL at 39P a tin to make up for the lack of natural food. The fish are realy keen on that also. I put it in the shallows to see what happens. An hour later there is little left of a whole tinfull (in 1 lump).

See you all on September 22nd http://www.march-info.org/

Jim Roper

http://www.searchlineuk.com/FishList.htm

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net