Makeing my own

lozza

I think YES it very much does matter! Not just this particular issue but over the years Ive witnessed a lot of"miss use" of angling terms so much so that it causes a lot of confusion when discussing angling and more importantly erodes angling history and often takes credit from some and attributes things to others! If we don't pick up these things then it just carries on.

I see where your coming from Budgie BUT it is too late now, It certainly will never happen thats for sure, Too many people have different views on what a stickfloat should or should not be & its not just restricted to stickfloats so thats why i said what I said, it matters not because we are never going to change things its been lost in time and I give up trying to understand folk these days as you try & help a lad and all you get is stick! :rolleyes:

I know I will be joining the band of floatmakers who no longer reply to these sort of threads because why bother, your only going to get grief so better off not posting at all. :mellow:

A Scotsman in Yorkshire...http://traditionalfloats.blogspot.co.uk/

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know I will be joining the band of floatmakers who no longer reply to these sort of threads because why bother, your only going to get grief so better off not posting at all. :mellow:

Shame you feel like that George as your input has allways been both knowledgable and interesting. You creative types are allways so touchy! :D;)

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I guess that's my fault for pointing out that instructions for making a bottom end only float of reed don't result in what most people would call a stick float. I thought it was a helpful observation, but perhaps not.

A good example is Ed's post (not having a dig at you mate its just that the post sums up what I'm talking about) The floats shown are of the "Pacemaker" style not a stick float.They are both a different shape and far different construction to what is generally regarded as a stick float,Also the credit for "inventing" this style has been given to some one who has not, Not corrected people would have quite happily accepted this and carried this miss information on.

I've seen so many people refer to them as stick floats :huh:

even people like Bob Nudd

all the same to me! :D

I've seen so many people refer to them as stick floats :huh:

even people like Bob Nudd

all the same to me! :D

Shame you didnt bother to read my apology (post 39) Ed and be gracefull enough to accept it. See Im quite happy to hold my hands up when I make a mistake.

Edited by BUDGIE

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

In that case I apologise to you.

I would however suggest that you had bothered to read the preceding threads so you may have a chance to grasp what was going on. It was concerning that there was a difference of opinion between experts on floats concerning a description.

When one just uses Emoticons one has to expect that people without a mind reading ability may totally miss what you are thinking and actually assume you have joined the discussion concerning the description of the floats in question.

I have already said that they are excellent examples of the float makers art and have not knocked the skill and expertise of either George nor his friend far from it I respect both their skills and abilities. They are both in my opinion excellent floatmakers.

You yourself have recently been seeking advice concerning fishing a river. I have not replied to you as it has been a while since I fished a large river so therefore I did not feel my knowledge was current enough when I considered what new tackle products may be available for you. If I had commented and you thought a float I suggested was one thing and I was thinking of another float there would be a problem. Either you would think I had given you wrong or bad advice or I did not know what I was talking about. In my turn I would be thinking ‘what is he doing – stickfloats do not behave like that.’

Each of us would blame the other and at the same time each of us would be both equally right and equally wrong just because we were talking about different things.

Which is why this stickfloat problem does need to be sorted once and for all because when advice is given in the use of stickfloats (particularly when trotting) if the person using the stickfloat is using a different float to what the advisor is advising on such advice will not be helpful and therefore unhelpful to both the party seeking advice and the advisor. For trotting medium and fast paced rivers in my opinion the stickfloat is king.

And for Lozza, George and everyone else, I will start a new thread rather than take over a thread with my definition and historical references to sickfloats.

Edited by watatoad

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

Just to upset everyone with complete irrelevance, I always top & tail my floats, regardless of their intended attachment style. Its what I prefer. It works for me.

I think this is because I've never really float fished that much and mainly on rivers (plus my eyes are crap!). One day I'll learn how to floatfish properly but for now I'm happy to muddle through.

Renrag

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

Species Caught 2012- Pike, Perch.

Kayak Launches- Fresh-8 Salt- 0

Kayak Captures- 14 Pike, 1 Perch.

My Website and Blog Fishing Blog, Fishkeeping Information and BF3 Guide.

Foxy Lodge Wildlife Rescue

Just to upset everyone with complete irrelevance, I always top & tail my floats, regardless of their intended attachment style. Its what I prefer. It works for me.

I think this is because I've never really float fished that much and mainly on rivers (plus my eyes are crap!). One day I'll learn how to floatfish properly but for now I'm happy to muddle through.

I had a very nice fishing book when I was a boy which included a large section on float fishing. It covered a much wider selection of float patterns than are widely used today, and I seem to remember a number of patterns with bodies low down which we would today assume should be fished bottom end only but which were fished top and bottom. Wish I still had that book, or could remember what it was called.