Makeing my own

lozza

The problem with trying to be clever, especially when using emoticon's on an other persons mistake or incorrect comment just makes one look a small minded narrow outlook person and shows a complete lack of overall comprehension of what is actually being discussed as well as a limited knowledge of the subject. Which in some cases may be being discussed by experts in the field.

A classic example of me trying to help out but my limited knowledge of the particular aspect of angling meant that I could not give fuller or better advice and it can be found.

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/Specime...t-t2635530.html

where I openly say that I have only used small sized reels but found the drags to be excellent I believe you posted next and you did know all about large sized reels as did several others so rather than come out with a load of crap, fairy stories and or pretense I have just simply read and learned from the experts as far as I am concerned in the field of large sized reels, I have not made childish comments or poked fun at anyone I did not know the answer so I read and learn from other peoples knowledge. On many occasions I have actually said that others probably have more knowledge of a particular angling subject than I do and have openly asked others to help out.

I just gave the best advice I could in this case my advice was very limited as I never have need to use large sized reels so could not offer advice as I did not know. Should you care to check on every post I have ever made you will notice I only give advice if I am confident in my knowledge in whatever particular field. I may well ask questions of things I do not know or am not sure of but I never come out with fairy stories or bullsh**t. Instead I will always try to help and will only ever give the best advice I am able to based on my personal experience and knowledge.

Yes I am a bit touchy at times especially politically as I would like to see everyone get off their rears and look at all sides of opinion and consider each others opinions and I do push things and at times I might not even agree with what I am saying but anyone reading should and must be given both sides of the subject.

I thought my joke about vote for WATATOAD was obvious perhaps not - So please allow me to explain 'in my opinion voting for most politicians and or political parties willy nilly is about as sane as voting for a man who calls himself a Toad and says he's green.' - obviously my attempt to get people to look at who and what they are voting for has obviously failed...hehehe perhaps they will vote for me pity I have no intention of standing nor do I seek high office or political power - I am a sick disabled not very good looking man in his 60's hardly the sort of dynamic photogenic person this country needs to lead it - I have always said I am fanatical and at times crazy - let you all into a secret everybody is at different times - guess that actually just makes me normal.

EDIT:

REPLY TO GEORGE's post ON PREVIOUS PAGE - sorry you are wrong George proof supplied

END EDIT:

I have absolutely no idea what you are wittering on about this time.

My comment "oh my" and the emoticon was to show appreciation for the artistry shown in the manufacture of some beautiful floats and had nothing whatever to do with you.

Please try to follow what is going on ;)

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry George

But I will accept your apology later...hehehe

Before I apologise which I will gracefully do if Im wrong. :D

You are suggesting those floats are nothing more than a topped bulk waggler then please show me a photograph of a proper stick float then show me a picture of a topped bulked waggler next to it.

I could probably google stick float myself and get 20 - 30 different variations to stick float in picture format so please tell me what a stick float looks like?

I have now posted 2 pictures of stick floats here to help the guy out who started the thread and so far all he has gained is that we are all wrong but they have not showed how we are all wrong.

Im all for learning :D:D

Edited by George387

A Scotsman in Yorkshire...http://traditionalfloats.blogspot.co.uk/

TBH I don't know or care if they are stick floats, wagglers or some other breed.

They look lovely and I am sure that they float. Was there something else I required from them?

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

How many folk can say they make their own tackle...not many and if it is I bet its the older anglers . :)

Sod off George, I'm only 41 years young. :)

OK I've just bought my first cardigan, but my daughter (12) swears there trendy now. :lol:

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

Sod off George, I'm only 41 years young. :)

OK I've just bought my first cardigan, but my daughter (12) swears there trendy now. :lol:

lmao Im not that far in front of you Lutra Im only 44. :D

Ive just returned from a cracking morning fishing on the river Ure catching a few grayling and trout and whilst there I was going over in my mind about this thread.

I was advised by other float makers who I keep in touch with over the internet that they no longer post on topics because there are too many armchair critics around and I think this thread has done that for me.

This thread was entitled "Making my Own" where Lozza asked for help in making floats and so far the only posts Ive seen are posts bickering over what is and what isnt a stick float! Does it really matter what each individual thinks what a stick float should look like there are literally hundereds of different variations of stickfloats, you only need to look around at some angling websites to see the different ones on show. :mellow:

No wonder guys now dont bother carrying on a dying art and just go and buy them from a tackle shop because If I came onto a forum and read the posts that are in this one I wouldnt want to make my own either.

I just hope this doesnt put lozza off from making his own and can only ask unless you are going to give the guy advice on making his own floats dont bother posting a reply, start a stickfloat debate on another thread, and give the thread back to Lozza for the purpose he asked the question which was advice on making floats. ;)

A Scotsman in Yorkshire...http://traditionalfloats.blogspot.co.uk/

lmao Im not that far in front of you Lutra Im only 44. :D

:o Blimey...is that all you are George :unsure:;):lol:

Don't worry George your not the only one, Brians a bit on the crinkly side for 41.....must be workin outside that dries you out ..... :P;)

Unlike me of course, that never seems to look a day older :PB):lol:

Edited by Tigger

I can see what your getting at George but threads deviating off the original post cant be helped its simply the nature of discussion. It will hopefully come back on track and expert and amateur float makers alike will no doubt give lots of good advice and tips to lozza.

That said I must disagree with one thing you've said (then I promise I will get back to discussing float making!)-

"Does it really matter what each individual thinks what a stick float should look like there are literally hundreds of different variations of stick floats, you only need to look around at some angling websites to see the different ones on show."

I think YES it very much does matter! Not just this particular issue but over the years Ive witnessed a lot of"miss use" of angling terms so much so that it causes a lot of confusion when discussing angling and more importantly erodes angling history and often takes credit from some and attributes things to others! If we don't pick up these things then it just carries on.

A good example is Ed's post (not having a dig at you mate its just that the post sums up what I'm talking about) The floats shown are of the "Pacemaker" style not a stick float.They are both a different shape and far different construction to what is generally regarded as a stick float,Also the credit for "inventing" this style has been given to some one who has not, Not corrected people would have quite happily accepted this and carried this miss information on.

Miss information is rife these days and I'm afraid "Internet experts" (not so much a pop at people who get things wrong but more the "if I read it on line it must be true" attitude) are responsible for a lot of this.We don't do anyone any favours by allowing them to believe or carry on believing something that's wrong is true!

I agree that there are some grey areas but in general............

Any way back to float making!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I'm with Budgie on this one when it comes to understanding how, why and what a float is. I've seen many descriptions of 'stick' floats that are anything but.

The Woody floats are actually giant sized alloy sticks with the stem not shown fully. These were developed from a smaller variant of the Allerton sticks which had more bulky bodies than the Allerton originals.

The pacemaker came about due to a winter league final on the Irish Blackwater which is deep in parts. The original floats were only one size, about 5AAA. I've seen the original Ivan Marks handmade versions but if I can paste a pic in here's a commercial version in the 5AAA size which is very close to Ivan's creation. The float with it is a upscaled (in green) Harrell alloy stick which is similar to the Woody floats.

post-16901-1292777098_thumb.jpg

Ah my apologies to Ed! I couldnt see the wire stem on the floats that Ed showed .In that case they are not Pacemakers but sticks allbeit wire/alloy stemmed ones!

Suprised no one picked me up for that?

Edited by BUDGIE

Any way back to float making!

Lozza one "cheat" I use when making stick floats is to use both wooden and some plastic paint brush handles for the base section.They are ready shaped and most all ready have a preformed spigot.Need to check on the ones you intend to use as remember the base section needs to be heavier than the top section and some are not! Mainly the plastic ones where some actually float more than the balsa!

One very handy thing would be to put up details of reliable suppliers of materials. Not so easy to get hold of these days.

Also despite all ways wanting a modellers lathe Ive never been able to afford one so I use the electric drill method as well! I tend only to bother shaping all balsa constructed floats and use pre shaped bodies for most other floats.