Petition to save coastguard stations

seafoods

Hello seafoods

You have just confirmed what Bob was saying, technology has moved on.

Given an accurate position and a list of reverent contact information I recon by googling earth even I could instigate a pretty effective rescue any where in the world let alone the UK from my home using a family computer and the house phone.

The hard fact is that if you had 50% of your work force sitting around bored silly for 90% of their time and the same out put could be achieved with the remaining workforce you would be looking to cut costs. Why should the MCA not be run like any other private business? It's a sad and some times emotive fact of life and you are right to question aspects of any issues involved in any changes.

So when your deisel goes well over the £3 mark for fuel for your boat and heating fuel is going to double because off the market the tory god the greedy barstewards holding the country to ranson its blatent robbery now i bet you will soon be screaming then wurzel or is modern technoligy or is it robbery its the same scenareo cutting the coastguard they dont give a **** about the conciquenses its about money money money this goverment is going to be 10 times worse than what thatcher was they had cut the kids sport program bulldozeing no thought till the penny dropped and then a complete uturn we were in a world recesion had the this goverment forgot it isnt mentioned anymore it played a massive part in the downturn of our economy and is giveing the tories THE PERFECT GROUND TO DO WHAT THEY HAVE ALLWAYS WANTED PRIVATIZE EVERYTHING THEY ARE CONNING THE THE BRITISH PUBLIC FOR JUST HOW LONG . :angry:

paul.

Edited by big_cod

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello seafoods

Given an accurate position and a list of reverent contact information I recon by googling earth even I could instigate a pretty effective rescue any where in the world let alone the UK from my home using a family computer and the house phone.

The hard fact is that if you had 50% of your work force sitting around bored silly for 90% of their time and the same out put could be achieved with the remaining workforce you would be looking to cut costs. Why should the MCA not be run like any other private business? It's a sad and some times emotive fact of life and you are right to question aspects of any issues involved in any changes.

That's it then, get that tender in quickly :rolleyes:

Might be worth considering two home PCs, just in case one falls over though ;)

Fortunately, I think there's a bit more to it.

So when your deisel goes well over the £3 mark for fuel for your boat and heating fuel is going to double because off the market the tory god the greedy barstewards holding the country to ranson its blatent robbery now i bet you will soon be screaming then wurzel or is modern technoligy or is it robbery its the same scenareo cutting the coastguard they dont give a **** about the conciquenses its about money money money this goverment is going to be 10 times worse than what thatcher was they had cut the kids sport program bulldozeing no thought till the penny dropped and then a complete uturn we were in a world recesion had the this goverment forgot it isnt mentioned anymore it played a massive part in the downturn of our economy and is giveing the tories THE PERFECT GROUND TO DO WHAT THEY HAVE ALLWAYS WANTED PRIVATIZE EVERYTHING THEY ARE CONNING THE THE BRITISH PUBLIC FOR JUST HOW LONG . :angry:

paul.

Paul can I remind you of this pre-election drivel...

"What I can tell you is, any cabinet minister, if I win the election, who comes to me and says: "Here are my plans" and they involve front-line reductions, they'll be sent straight back to their department to go away and think again. After 13 years of Labour, there is a lot of wasteful spending, a lot of money that doesn't reach the front line."

Wonder who said that then?

Oh dear Davey you and your pals have stifled this topic else where with loads of childish post inc name calling and linking the RSA-UK web site delays which you have now hinted at here, none of which bother me other than it makes difficult any meaningful conversation of what is a highly emotive subject, so I do hope your not going to try that here.

You have suggested that my posting of the radio transmission from Falmouth Coast Guard prior to there last industrial action was a cheep shot when it was word for word what was put out by them. They made no mention of emergency cover being maintained, I know as I heard it myself, indeed it was a topic of conversation during that days fishing. The point I was trying to get across was that I finished the post by saying how 'I would never forget what was said' just as the politicians will not have forgotten the fact that these people took industrial action rather than negotiate a settlement.

For what it worth I still believe the management of the Coast Guard Agency must know what is best for their organisation but with the amount of opposition to these proposals and as an RSA rep feel I should consider putting a letter together stating your concerns and asking for the minister to comment. I will post that and any response here in due course.

Tight Lines Bob

Edited by Deene'0
Publication2_zpsthmtka6c.jpg

You have suggested that my posting of the radio transmission from Falmouth Coast Guard prior to there last industrial action was a cheep shot when it was word for word what was put out by them. They made no mention of emergency cover being maintained, I know as I heard it myself, indeed it was a topic of conversation during that days fishing. The point I was trying to get across was that I finished the post by saying how 'I would never forget what was said' just as the politicians will not have forgotten the fact that these people took industrial action rather than negotiate a settlement.

After a long period of negotiation where they felt they were getting nowhere they felt they were left with no alternative. Coastguards don't do 'not responding to emergencies' - I know, because I've been there. A year or so before the incident you refer to the volunteer coastguards in south Wales 'withdrew their labour' in support of a colleague who had been injured on coastguard duty - and not properly compensated. Here in southwest Scotland we looked into it and discovered that the 'civil service compensation scheme' which covered coastguards was not fit for purpose. We spoke directly to the chief coastguard and asked him one simple question 'If one of our team gets killed on duty tonight will his widow get compensation?' His answer was that he couldn't give us an answer. He was told in the conversation that we would refuse to take our teams out until we had an answer, this was confirmed by email. Sector Manager and MRCC were told the same, on the phone and by email and the proverbial hit the fan, media circus etc etc. Some English teams joined us, as did more Welsh ones - making it national. The 'high heid yins' of the MCA suspected that we actually would respond to an emergency but couldn't take the chance so started to negotiate, it was sorted very quickly

For what it worth I still believe the management of the Coast Guard Agency must know what is best for their organisation

The same management that approved this on their website with the hidden gem of a 'deliberate mistake' in it

http://www.mcga.gov.uk/c4mca/mcga07-home/e..._operations.htm

I'm sure it won't take you long to spot it.

Oh dear Davey you and your pals have stifled this topic else where with loads of childish post inc name calling and linking the RSA-UK web site delays which you have now hinted at here, none of which bother me other than it makes difficult any meaningful conversation of what is a highly emotive subject, so I do hope your not going to try that here.

For what it worth I still believe the management of the Coast Guard Agency must know what is best for their organisation but with the amount of opposition to these proposals and as an RSA rep feel I should consider putting a letter together stating your concerns and asking for the minister to comment. I will post that and any response here in due course.

Tight Lines Bob

I'm sorry, Bob, but the more of your posts I read, the more scary the thought of you representing sea anglers becomes.

Just what was it you did before you retired?

Edited by Steve Coppolo

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

Hello seafoods

Sorry Wurzel,

Didn't see this post before now. I was pointing out some of the things the existing coastguard equipment is capable of as it proves the downright lie the MCA website is carrying in the consultation document - which Bob has adopted as his mantra. Existing equipment is not 40 years old - it is a lie, the equipment has been frequently modernised - as has the MCA itself. Your home PC can set up a marine search plan can it? I don't think so, it needs the operator to, firstly have the correct programe and software, last known position and many other variables. The operator must also have extensive training in search planning - you have this?

The hard fact is that currently round the UK there are around 70 coastguard watchkeepers on watch in 18 MRCC's - obviously capable of speaking to 70 people, whether by phone or VHF at the same time. If these plans get the go-ahead there will be less than half that amount of watchkeepers during darkness hours - is this miracle technology going to allow them to speak to two people each at the same time? No it isn't lives will be endangered and that's without even considering the local knowledge of those currently on watch

The coastguard, just like every other emergency service, is an insurance policy. The best and cheapest insurance policy that the tax payer will ever have. Their job is to respond when someone is in distress and to save lives. The more of them there are, the quicker they can respond and the more lives they are able to save.

What people have to realise is, arriving too late is no better than not arriving at all when there is a life risk. Personally, I couldn't care less what the coastguards do for most of their time, as long as they can respond effectively when they are needed. Emergency services should never be run like businesses.

As for suggestions that management know better than the troops at the sharp end, utter garbage.

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.